European vet schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etiush

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how you guys from the U.S look at European vet schools such as in Slovakia (Slovak Republic), Hungry, Romania - they all have English programs. Are they cosidered "bad" schools? "ok" ones? Are there Americans who go study there? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I finished the vet school in Romania and now I am trying to get the license in Canada and it is a lot of work.I my opinion it is not a good ideea to go there because they are not accredited schools by the American veterinary association and the other hand there is a difference between North America and all these countries from Eastern Europe.
All the best

I completely agree with monoject!
I am a graduate from Italy, non AVMA accredited school,and having my degree recognised here in the US is a very long process! you can see it yuorself in the AVMA website, look for ECFVG program in the education session........... and they are making changes to complicate the process even more!!
I don't know how American vets feel about European schools....but I know how difficult is being an European graduate in US! If you really want to study abroad, the places I would consider in Europe are England, Scotland and the Netherlands, were they have AVMA accredited schools.
Good luck
francesca

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above posters. All I have to go on is what I have heard from the Vets I have worked with and the reaction I have gotten from my acceptance to Murdoch, an avama accredited school in Australia.

Most of the vets I have contact with are thrilled with my acceptance and plans to go. The general consensis (sp?) is that "As long as it's accredited it'll be a good school/chioce/experiance." There is one vet I work with who is not happy about my chioces and has sited many reasons. I belive that the main one is that by not to my state school I cannot work for her durring school breaks and she wants me to stay, she's also concerned becuase of the distance. That being said I am going still very happy with my decision to persue my career at a school in a forgien country (so is my family and SO).

If you's like some more info this site lists all the avama accredited forgien schools. http://www.avma.org/education/cvea/colleges_accredited/foreign.asp

and this site is a new site for vet students and although not all the info is up it will eventually contain a lot of helpful information for all pre-vet students. http://vetstudents.net/

I posted this question in an earlier thread, but I think it wasn't responded to, so maybe someone will be able to help here!

Where is University College Dublin in its accreditation process at the moment? I've tried contacting the university with no response so far... last I heard they were supposed to get it this year (?)... If anyone can help, it would be very appreciated!

Thanks