Essential tremor and DR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psyche1

Reaction score
I have a mild essential tremor, gets worse when I'm nervous or doing something new with my hands. How much of an obstacle would that be during and after Diagnostic Radiology training?

Members don't see this ad.

None.

If it isn't bad enough it impedes your ability to feed yourself with a spoon, you can probably do all the basic procedures. Probably don't want to specialize in IR though.

Depends. Can you get an accommodation to drink on the job?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
None.

If it isn't bad enough it impedes your ability to feed yourself with a spoon, you can probably do all the basic procedures. Probably don't want to specialize in IR though.
That's good to hear, thanks! Are there jobs after training where I won't have to do any procedures if I didn't want to?

Teleradiology for one. You can probably work out a deal with certain private practices for onsite jobs though.

That's good to hear, thanks! Are there jobs after training where I won't have to do any procedures if I didn't want to?
Technically yes but either you would have to take positions that have some sort of inherent disadvantage (e.g. pure tele means you just make less money and people will see you as a "tele person"), or you will have to make some trade offs by working harder in other ways.

Unless it's a big issue I'd recommend just becoming proficient in basic procedures like biopsies.

I think you could find a traditional PP job with zero or minimal procedures, particularly in a large group. Try to find a niche that is valued but not procedure-oriented… such as a body radiologist who is well-versed in higher end MRI studies such as prostate, rectal, female pelvis or a nucs rad well-versed in new radiotracers, etc. I’d avoid IR and mammo.

the private practice I rotated through pretty much left all procedures to the IR and MSK guys, so its definitely possible

The first time a resident does any procedure it looks like they have a severe essential tremor. You'll be fine. I know some IR guys who have developed tremors as they got older. They kind of time the tremor for their target and make it work. Obviously works better when the patients can't see what you're doing.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users