Essay Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOOMflow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had a quick question regarding the essay component of the optometry applications. Basically, how long should these be? For some of the questions (specifically the ones about why you're chosing this school) I'm finding it difficult to write very much. Would 2-pages double-spaced be a good length? Any help would be greatly appreciated,

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

The schools I applied to were very specific about the length. I think the average was 1.5 pages. They all had certain word maximums. Make sure you search their websites thoroughly.

The schools I applied to didn't specify how long they wanted the essays. Mine were all different lengths with the longest one being two pages double spaced. I think as long as you say everything you needed to say the length doesn't really matter. Just don't keep repeating things to make it longer and boring! Good luck!

I agree, I wouldn't worry about length as long as you give a well written and thoughtful response. My only other advice is when they ask why this school etc.. don't go on for too long mentioning every little detail or sound too fake and rehearsed. Just give a few things about the school you find most appealing and how you think those things would make you a better optometrist/health care professional... above other programs (not specific other programs).