Erm... what happens if I don't do well in general chemistry? Also, minor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'm a little confused... I have people telling me that I need a 90 average, people telling me that I need an 80 average, and people telling me that is is okay to get a 70 in a course.

Okay.

I am doing wicked in all of my courses except general chemistry. My lab part, which makes up 20% of my chemistry mark, is good. I get an average of 17.5/20 per assignment and I do good on my pre-lab quizzes.

As for lecture... we have had two tests, each worth 15% of our mark. I got a 50% on my first test. I know where I went wrong, but a 50... not pretty. We just had a test... I spent 8+hours studying the material... I got the theory down better than I thought, but ended up with a 51. Both times, the class average was in the 50s.

I need to do amazing on this exam... but what is going to happen if I don't do well in this one course? I want to get into University of Prince Edward Island... they give you a "grade" based on your marks. Majority of the grade comes from how well you do in Microbiology and Organic Chem.

I'm not planning on applying to vet school until I finish my BSc. I want to do a semester abroad in my third or fourth year, and try to get some volunteer work whenever I go. Also, I am very, very determined... and I did get accepted in a vet tech program that is very hard to get into... over 100 people applied, 24 get accepted, and they only take a couple straight from highschool. They had me write a math test, biology test, english test, and a "personality test". Also, I was interviewed. They saw something in me... I'm hoping that vet school sees the same in me.

Anyway... I'm still thinking about what to minor in. I have heard that vet schools want you to major in something not science related because it shows that you are "well-rounded." Is there any truth to this? I am thinking of minoring in business or psychology. I'm good at english, but I just don't enjoy it. I was going to minor in chemistry, but as you can see, I'm pretty bad at it. I was thinking business because if all else fails, I wouldn't mind owning my own business... and psych is a last resort. Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I got a B or a B- in gen chem I. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It is possible to improve in chemistry--I made an A in gen chem II and an A+ in both organics. Some of it has to do with the professor, so shop around next semester to get the best one possible. It's a tough subject, and if you're struggling with it, I wouldn't recommend making it your minor. Choose a diversity minor only if you're interested in the subject. In my opinion, minors are the chance to spread your wings and do something you love. If you enjoy something besides An Sci/Zoology/Biology, feel free to minor in it! If nothing else, it exposes you to things beyond your pre-reqs. I would strongly recommend business because in a lot of areas of vet med, you'll need at least some business savvy.

Check the UPEI requirements. Some schools wont accept a C- in a required course. If that is the case then you would need to retake it and improve your grade.

Members don't see this ad :)
Grade requirements really depend on where you want to go. I've heard that Canadian schools are much more strict about grades than some of the schools in the States, where GRE scores, experience, and LORs can counter-balance less stellar grades.
As far as a major or minor goes, most people who go into veterinary school have a related major (animal science, biology, and the like). Few people go the chemistry route because it's a pretty tough road - I think there's one person in this forum at Penn who majored in chem and a couple of ChemE's (myself included) floating about. I don't recommend it - physics either :)

Yes, like has been previously stated, do whatever you want for your minor. Art, poly sci, business, whatever. I don't think they even asked about my minor in the interview (though I brought it up as part of my added diversity...I was a history minor and double majored in biology and religious studies). I got into the one vet school I applied and I didn't have super stellar undergrad grades (3.3). Not bad, just not like :eek: super awesome. I got Bs in both inorganic chemistries, a C in organic I, and a C- in organic II. So it's totally possible, but at the same time, you better be logging in shadowing and experience hours and whatnot.

You said the class average was in the 50s both times. Will he curve? Look in the syllabus. OR if he doesn't will the department? It seems unlikely that he would fail more than half the class. Also go work with the professor during office hours.

On the AVC website, this is all it says:

A total of 50 points of the applicant score will be based upon grades attained in the 20 required courses (15 specified and 5 electives with the highest grades). These 50 points will be calculated as follows:
a) 30% or 15 points from the average of the four biological science prerequisite courses, including Genetics, Microbiology, and two animal Biology electives;
b) 70% or 35 points from grades in the remaining 16 required courses as listed:
  • 2 Math courses (one being statistics)
  • 3 Chemistry courses (one being Organic Chemistry)
  • 1 Physics course
  • 2 English courses (one being Composition)
  • 3 Humanities and/or Social Sciences
  • 5 Electives in any area

Our teacher is not curving the marks. Also, there is no supplimentary exam offered in the course. There is a supplimentary exam for my biology course... probably because the Nursing students need it, and if they fail one subject, they can't move on?

Right now we are doing Thermodynamics, which I did in high school... the teacher is giving us a review for the exam... she asked us what she could do to make us do better. And I asked my friend if we can study together.

In high school, I had a really really hard time in Chemistry. In grade 11, we didn't have a very good teacher, and in grade 12, there was 28 people in our class... our teacher would explain something and give us problems. All 28 people would laugh and carry on, which was distracting, and if I needed help, I would have my hand raised 5-10 minutes at a time. I ended up making a81 I do believe in grade 11 chemistry, and a 71 grade 12 chemistry.

Business interrests me the most... I think I'm going to look into it.​

Hey Electrophil, did you get in instate or out of state? Just curious, I applied there out of state.:)

Don't worry, happens to the best of us. There's nothing you can do but try harder.

I remember putting in 30+ hours studying for one test -- I started studying the week before the exams. Got A-/B through chem because of it.

Some schools are more particular than others. And getting a C isn't going to put anything down the drain.

So take a breath, shake off those worries, and start studying for the next one now :) If you need, get a tutor - it can help a ton!

I don't really think it matters what your minor is -- it's my impression that a minor is a very minor factor...heheh

Hey Electrophil, did you get in instate or out of state? Just curious, I applied there out of state.:)

In state. I also did my undergrad and my masters at Mizzou, so I've been here a looooong time. :rolleyes: I also want to do mixed practice. I have a good feeling that if I would have been small animal only, it would have been harder.

The admissions system in Canada is quite different than the one in the States, isn't it? Maybe a Canadian vet student can chime in here. All the best, Laura

When I was in Organic II, the class avg was ~ 35%. You got a 30-40, you had a C. The prof was that hard. There were ~ 125 of us, about 50% of the class recieved D's and F's. Good times.

Another thing to consider is that some schools go through and read every single application regardless of GPA. Schools like this can really help applicants that maybe had a bad semester, but have had amazing experience and stellar recommendations. Just something to keep in mind.

The admissions system in Canada is quite different than the one in the States, isn't it? Maybe a Canadian vet student can chime in here. All the best, Laura

Yes - you apply to schools directly, you don't use VCMAS. However, all 5 schools are entirely different in their application requirements. The biggest difference is that what school you go to is determined by where you live. I live in Ontario, so I must go to Guelph. West of Ontario = Saskatoon (though people in Alberta can/must (?) go to the new school in Alberta). East of Ontario = UPEI. Francophone = St. Hyacinthe.

Scarcelyheard - I can't really help you with your question. At Guelph, chemistry marks don't matter - your admission average is made up of: 40% 8 required courses (bio x 2, cell bio, biochem, genetics, stats, social science elective x 2), 40% last two full time semesters (which I suppose could theoretically include chem), and 20% MCAT.