ergonomic chair

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KittySquared

Kitty chompers
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone developed back issues from working/studying long hours? We all know dentistry is pretty rough on the back. Coupled with long hours of studying, I am slightly worried about my lower back.

Does anyone have good office desk/chair recommendations? I currently have a swivel adjustable computer chair at home and it is NOT good for use for the long term. I have to sit all the way back into the chair for my back to even touch the chair. And when I study, I tend to sit at the edge of my seat. After a little while, my back starts aching. I am wondering if fixed arm chairs are better for studying, like the ones in libraries.

416DSylzN2L._SY450_.jpg

Or even stuff like this???
gaiam-balance-ball-chair.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

I love this question...I would also be interested in a good chair!

Members don't see this ad :)
^I will check it out at my nearby Staples. I'm pretty anal about the lumbar support thing cause my lower back hurts when I don't have a comfortable chair to sit.

Take care of your back... Back pain is absolutely horrendous. Cost does not necessarily equal comfort. Google ADA ergonomics for position papers by the ADA. Learn about proper ergonomics before you invest in a chair. My Clinical chair is a model made by RGP, which has great lumbar support and many adjustable elements to suit your particular body type.

If money is no object, look into the Herman Miller Aeron. I've spent seat time in one and can attest to its effectiveness as a good orthopaedic-minded office chair.

Oh man, Herman Miller makes some great stuff. Definitely worth checking out if you're looking for a great chair.

Hey all, not sure if this really fits into this area or not but;

After a decent ergonomic chair thats hopefully not too pricey, which seems to always be the case if you add ergonomic(sp?) on the tag.

Had a look around tried the K-mark chairs but they arn't all that comfortable, amazon.com has some great prices although not sure how you'd really get it here

What's crazy is that I find the clinic chairs (the clinician's chair, not the dental chair the patient sits in) are SO much more comfortable to me than the $1000 (with all the options) dollar Herman Miller chairs (http://store.hermanmiller.com/Products/Aeron-Chair) we have in our lecture rooms.

Taking a seat in one of those and pulling up on that lumbar support lever is about as satisfying as it gets for me. I don't need the armrests or upper back support. Just lumbar and I'm good.

Reactions: 1 user
If your sitting for long periods of time your back needs to be straight. The type of chair does not matter, and ideally you back will be not be touching the chair anyway. Believing the solution is to buy something is a reflection of our capitalistic society :) The issue is your posture, which will take time and effort to correct. I have strong feelings on this issue, as back pain management has been a part of my life for years.

Source of my opinion: a herniated disc from 20 years ago that still causes me to lose stability every once in a while. What has helped me? Disciplined posture, yoga, weightlifting and foam rolling.

Ergonomic office chairs are cheap chairs, predominantly used in a work environment, that are specifically designed to afford comfort and avoid injury in the said work environment. These features help balance the weight across the body rather than strain the lower back and musculoskeletal section.

Sitting in ANY chair for long periods of time is bad for your back and uncomfortable. Get the best chair you can, but still get up every 30 minutes to walk around. Change your position often. Dental school requires so much damn studying that you need to change it up. Study sitting. Study standing up. Study lying down. Study crossed legged. Study while stretching. Stay active. And do not forget to exercise, it’s probably more important than ergonomics.

Last edited:
Because I spend a lot of time working on computers, I spent a considerable amount of money to buy a good chair so I dont have back pain, I see on amazon has a lot of good chairs to choose. Now I'm using AmazonBasics leather mid back office chair, I like this chair because it has buttons to adjust. I have read many reviews so I can choose a good chair for myself.

Last edited:
i am using Ergohuman LE9ERG – 82/100 rating for back pain and its is the best chair for me so far because i love to watch anime wearing mask because it'll automatically increase the pleasure while using Ergohuman watching anime and wearing mask

i am using Ergohuman LE9ERG – 82/100 rating for back pain and its is the best chair for me so far because i love to watch anime wearing mask because it'll automatically increase the pleasure while using Ergohuman watching anime and wearing mask
The ****