Dumb question: what are chairs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FROGGBUSTER

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does it mean when dental students say their school has too many students but not enough chairs?

lol Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What does it mean when dental students say their school has too many students but not enough chairs?

lol Thanks.

Not a dental student...but.. I'll try to answer this the best I can..

The first 2 years is mostly courses, while the last 2 years is clinical.

During the clinical years, you have an x amount of procedures that has to be done to be able to graduate. For example, an x amount of root canals, fillings, dentures, crowns, etc.

Dental schools have a limited number of chairs (for you to work on your patient), that must be shared among all of the D3 and D4 students.

When students say that their schools don't have enough chairs, it means that the student per chair ratio is high, and even if you come to the clinic, you have to go in line and take turns for patients.

Not a dental student...but.. I'll try to answer this the best I can..

The first 2 years is mostly courses, while the last 2 years is clinical.

During the clinical years, you have an x amount of procedures that has to be done to be able to graduate. For example, an x amount of root canals, fillings, dentures, crowns, etc.

Dental schools have a limited number of chairs (for you to work on your patient), that must be shared among all of the D3 and D4 students.

When students say that their schools don't have enough chairs, it means that the student per chair ratio is high, and even if you come to the clinic, you have to go in line and take turns for patients.

Thanks APB.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chairs = Operatories

If the students complain about not enough chairs, I would cross that school off my list.

Honestly, it's a issue at pretty much every school- especially when budgets are cut, schools will accept more students than they can train to get $. I wouldn't cross a school off your list just because some disgruntled students on SDN complain. Tons of people at my school complained but I feel like I got a great education at a fantastic price.

Hup

there are always going to be people complaining about not enough chairs. You're not going to be in clinic all the time. There are going to be times when you are required to be on clinic. If you're required to be on clinic, there should be a chair for you. I don't know how it works at other schools, but at LLU, when we have primary time, we have a chair and we have to be there. If it is secondary time, we are not guaranteed a chair, but can request one. If one is available, we can have it. At my school, if you're complaining that there aren't enough chairs, it means you're trying to be on clinic during every available secondary time, which means you're a major gunner.

Honestly, it's a issue at pretty much every school- especially when budgets are cut, schools will accept more students than they can train to get $. I wouldn't cross a school off your list just because some disgruntled students on SDN complain. Tons of people at my school complained but I feel like I got a great education at a fantastic price.

Hup

Jeesh if you are running out of chairs=, you can get some folding chairs at like 8.99 ea from Wal Mart. Hell, thats what we did:

49b5b9aad774654276e363e9e29ae448-orig

Source: http://www.oobject.com/category/dental-chairs-through-history/

there are always going to be people complaining about not enough chairs. You're not going to be in clinic all the time. There are going to be times when you are required to be on clinic. If you're required to be on clinic, there should be a chair for you. I don't know how it works at other schools, but at LLU, when we have primary time, we have a chair and we have to be there. If it is secondary time, we are not guaranteed a chair, but can request one. If one is available, we can have it. At my school, if you're complaining that there aren't enough chairs, it means you're trying to be on clinic during every available secondary time, which means you're a major gunner.
I guess I'll be a major gunner then. I really won't care if I get As or Cs in didactics, I just want to see as many patients as possible. Practice makes perfect right? Besides, I'm used to seeing 8 patients a day.

I guess I'll be a major gunner then. I really won't care if I get As or Cs in didactics, I just want to see as many patients as possible. Practice makes perfect right? Besides, I'm used to seeing 8 patients a day.

+1 to as many patients as possible... :thumbup:

I love seeing patients too, but when you have to do your own lab work (at least in terms of pouring up casts, pinning, sectioning, mounting, etc., not to mention dentures), it's not always a good idea to spend all your secondary time in clinic.

I love seeing patients too, but when you have to do your own lab work (at least in terms of pouring up casts, pinning, sectioning, mounting, etc., not to mention dentures), it's not always a good idea to spend all your secondary time in clinic.

you have to do your own lab work?? bummer. how many days a week are you seeing patients then?

i'm on clinic 4 days a week this quarter, 6 sessions of primary time. as far as lab work, we do everything for dentures but final fabrication and casting metal frameworks; mounting casts, pinning & sectioning for pfms; waxing and investing FGCs; diagnostic waxups, etc. On top of everything, the lab intake QA is extremely picky and will reject your submission for very minor flaws.

How much lab work do other schools do?

i'm on clinic 4 days a week this quarter, 6 sessions of primary time. as far as lab work, we do everything for dentures but final fabrication and casting metal frameworks; mounting casts, pinning & sectioning for pfms; waxing and investing FGCs; diagnostic waxups, etc. On top of everything, the lab intake QA is extremely picky and will reject your submission for very minor flaws.

How much lab work do other schools do?

i'll start a new thread about it. i'm curious about that.

And knowledge is power. right?

If you get C's in didactics, you are missing fundamental knowledge, and you are short-changing yourself and your patients. The hand skills are easy - knowing what you are doing and why you are doing it is more challenging.

And knowledge is power. right?

If you get C's in didactics, you are missing fundamental knowledge, and you are short-changing yourself and your patients. The hand skills are easy - knowing what you are doing and why you are doing it is more challenging.
Of course, that's all assuming that the exams and other assessments can accurately measure your knowledge in the subject, but that's another discussion altogether.