ERAS 'Publications' Listing FAQ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would probably list it as one research experience and just expound on exactly what you did in the explanation of the experience.

I generally would recommend only listing one presentation per project. So pick either the oral or poster presentation and list that.

I would list the last thing as just part of the research experience.

Alright, sounds good on the 2nd and 3rd points. My only concern with the 1st one is that it's gonna sound really strange talking about two completely unrelated projects (both in topic and type) in the same paragraph. But if that's fine, then I'll just merge it.

Thank for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

This is a bit different, but I did some research alone, without affiliation to any hospital or university. Basically I took part in a competition for medical technology and problems that need to be solved. I ended up working on my new method after the competition. My goal is to get a patent on it but the patent application is still being reviewed. How can I list this as a research experience?

This is a bit different, but I did some research alone, without affiliation to any hospital or university. Basically I took part in a competition for medical technology and problems that need to be solved. I ended up working on my new method after the competition. My goal is to get a patent on it but the patent application is still being reviewed. How can I list this as a research experience?
It sounds like it really isn't... you participated in a competition, and then decided to try and patent the result. I'd probably list that under "Other Awards/Accomplishments." If it's a really cool invention and/or you wind up actually getting the patent, I imagine it will come up a lot on your interviews.

I couldn't find the answer when using the search function so I do apologize for asking these questions:

1. I had several posters accepted to an international conference and will not be going to present. My authorship on these abstracts ranges from 1st to 4th. One of the residents from the program is going to present the abstracts; however the resident is only on one of the abstracts. By default, do I put him first on all the "poster presentations"?

2. I had two recently accepted manuscripts and received the proofs today. Can I put these under "published" or do I have to write "in-press"? I figured that by time I go on the interviews these will be published with a PMID #.

I couldn't find the answer when using the search function so I do apologize for asking these questions:

1. I had several posters accepted to an international conference and will not be going to present. My authorship on these abstracts ranges from 1st to 4th. One of the residents from the program is going to present the abstracts; however the resident is only on one of the abstracts. By default, do I put him first on all the "poster presentations"?

2. I had two recently accepted manuscripts and received the proofs today. Can I put these under "published" or do I have to write "in-press"? I figured that by time I go on the interviews these will be published with a PMID #.
1. I had the same situation. What I did was list the authors as they are on the posters, then when it comes to the title of the meeting I said "presented by Dr. so-and-so at" whatever the meeting was.

2. I would say published, but it probably doesn't matter.

1. I had the same situation. What I did was list the authors as they are on the posters, then when it comes to the title of the meeting I said "presented by Dr. so-and-so at" whatever the meeting was.

2. I would say published, but it probably doesn't matter.

Hey, thanks for the response! Yeah, I'm just a bit worried that with #2 if they happen to actually Google the manuscript and don't see it's published - I'll get some heat for it.

Hey, thanks for the response! Yeah, I'm just a bit worried that with #2 if they happen to actually Google the manuscript and don't see it's published - I'll get some heat for it.
Is the manuscript titled "How I single-handedly cured all types of cancer with a common household condiment."? If not, I promise that nobody will ever look it up.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I generally would recommend only listing one presentation per project. So pick either the oral or poster presentation and list that.

I had one last question. Regarding listing either oral or poster presentation, which one would be better? I did the oral presentation at regional conference and we got best scientific presentation. But the poster presentation has additional data and is at national conference. I have both mentioned under the research experience, but not sure which one to include in publications. People have told me one or the other and some have told me to include both.

I had one last question. Regarding listing either oral or poster presentation, which one would be better? I did the oral presentation at regional conference and we got best scientific presentation. But the poster presentation has additional data and is at national conference. I have both mentioned under the research experience, but not sure which one to include in publications. People have told me one or the other and some have told me to include both.
Yeah, there's no right or wrong choice; clearly oral>poster, but national>regional (nobody will be able to tell from the listing which one had more data).

Pick whichever one feels right. If you choose to include both you won't be the only one who tries to double-dip, and at least you have a moderately rational reason to do so.

Yeah, there's no right or wrong choice; clearly oral>poster, but national>regional (nobody will be able to tell from the listing which one had more data).

Pick whichever one feels right. If you choose to include both you won't be the only one who tries to double-dip, and at least you have a moderately rational reason to do so.

Thank you very much! I think I'll double dip this one; I spent an inordinate amount of time between both submissions, so I can definitely justify this.

Can submitted case reports be listed under "peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts (other than published)"? I take this to be only manuscripts/"real research" but was told submitted case reports can also be put here?

If the case reports have been actually published, then yes, a publication is a publication. But if you just submit the article on 9/14 and are awaiting review, then no you can't list it.

If the case reports have been actually published, then yes, a publication is a publication. But if you just submit the article on 9/14 and are awaiting review, then no you can't list it.

Okay. I have only listed published case reports thus far under "peer reviewed online publication" and only submitted manuscripts (not case reports) under "peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts (other than published)". So I guess I am doing it the right way.

I had a couple of quick questions that I didn't come across in the thread so far:

1) I have a couple of articles published in the online medical journal Cureus. These are listed on PubMed and have a PMID associated with them. I was not sure to list them as 'Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts' or 'Peer Reviewed Online Publications'. The latter makes most sense at first glance, but does not allow entry of information such as PMID, Volume/Issue etc.

2) I have some articles that have been accepted for publication (Epub ahead of print) with no associated volume/issue numbers as of yet, but they are indexed on PubMed and have an associated PMID. Should I list them as 'Peer Reviewed Journal Article/Abstract' or 'Peer Reviewed Journal Article/Abstract - Other than Published'. Again, I do not have a volume/issue number for these articles so I would have to put 'N/A' for them if I put them in the first category but the latter does not have any space to enter a PMID.

This system is kind of archaic for how journals index and make articles available for viewing prior to publication in an online version nowadays.

Thanks for any help!
I would love to know if anyone has a good answer to this question about Cureus. I just published a case report here, it's listed in PubMed with an associated PMID, has a volume/issue number, but I guess the page number would just be eXXXX or whatever. @gutonc said "if they have PubMed ID's put them in the Journal category," and I'm feeling more inclined to do that at this point, but I really don't want to misrepresent here. Any input from someone who has a good understanding of these things would be greatly appreciated.

Also, do patents just go under research experience, or could I possibly list it under one of the various options in publications? I feel like I know the answer to this, but I just feel like engineering patents are cool and I hate to not give it the recognition I feel like it deserves. Either way works though. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
I would love to know if anyone has a good answer to this question about Cureus. I just published a case report here, it's listed in PubMed with an associated PMID, has a volume/issue number, but I guess the page number would just be eXXXX or whatever. @gutonc said "if they have PubMed ID's put them in the Journal category," and I'm feeling more inclined to do that at this point, but I really don't want to misrepresent here. Any input from someone who has a good understanding of these things would be greatly appreciated.

Also, do patents just go under research experience, or could I possibly list it under one of the various options in publications? I feel like I know the answer to this, but I just feel like engineering patents are cool and I hate to not give it the recognition I feel like it deserves. Either way works though. Thanks!
I think you can put the Cureus article in the publication section without being disingenuous. But here's the thing about pubs and the people who review your app. They're going to look at where your name is in the author list and then at the journal name. If they're interviewing you, they might pay attention to the title just to see if it's interesting enough to ask you about.

As for patents, I think list it in the research experience section.

I think you can put the Cureus article in the publication section without being disingenuous. But here's the thing about pubs and the people who review your app. They're going to look at where your name is in the author list and then at the journal name. If they're interviewing you, they might pay attention to the title just to see if it's interesting enough to ask you about.

As for patents, I think list it in the research experience section.
Thank you for the reply, this is very helpful!

question about abstracts from AHA Scientific Sessions - they are technically published in a supplemental issue of Circulation, is that enough to keep it under peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts (also to be fair, that data was later published in another journal as a manuscript but my PI encouraged me to include the abstract as well)

question about abstracts from AHA Scientific Sessions - they are technically published in a supplemental issue of Circulation, is that enough to keep it under peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts (also to be fair, that data was later published in another journal as a manuscript but my PI encouraged me to include the abstract as well)
If you can find it in pubmed then it's not disingenuous, though anyone who is familiar with the meeting will recognize that you're padding your CV.

Hi! Question for ERAS experts out there. For "publications" section: if I had a poem published in a reputable medical journal, does that count as a "publication" or an experience? There was some info as to how to approach poetry publications/other publications that were submitted to non-medical or med-school based sources (summary: don't include in publicaitons section), but I'm not entirely sure if that holds true for my situation.
It doesn't really matter to me, I just want to put it in there somewhere!

Hi! Question for ERAS experts out there. For "publications" section: if I had a poem published in a reputable medical journal, does that count as a "publication" or an experience? There was some info as to how to approach poetry publications/other publications that were submitted to non-medical or med-school based sources (summary: don't include in publicaitons section), but I'm not entirely sure if that holds true for my situation.
It doesn't really matter to me, I just want to put it in there somewhere!
It's cool that you got this stuff published. One of my partners has had a number of prose pieces (fiction and non-fiction) published in a variety of journals including NEJM and JAMA. One of my residency classmates who is an interventional cardiologist publishes poetry and short fiction in medical and literary journals. Neither of them put them in the "publications" section of their CV though, and neither should you.

But definitely put it in experiences and maybe include it in your PS or something. Definitely something to talk about during interviews too.

It's cool that you got this stuff published. One of my partners has had a number of prose pieces (fiction and non-fiction) published in a variety of journals including NEJM and JAMA. One of my residency classmates who is an interventional cardiologist publishes poetry and short fiction in medical and literary journals. Neither of them put them in the "publications" section of their CV though, and neither should you.

But definitely put it in experiences and maybe include it in your PS or something. Definitely something to talk about during interviews too.

Thanks! Thats the answer I suspected, but just wanted to be sure. Appreciate the advice!

If I gave an oral presentation of my basic science research conducted after an internship at a U.S. government facility during undergrad, is that okay for listing under "oral presentations?" There is no published abstract from the research. Just wanted to check before doing so. Thanks for all the helpful info on this thread!

A case study I wrote with a physician was published on MedPage Today in their "Case Study" section under "Oncology/Hematology". When I was exchanging emails with the Director of MedPage Today, he said a few physicians would be reviewing it before it would be approved for publishing on their site. How do I classify this?
"Peer reviewed online publication" or
"Non peer reviewed online publication"
Thanks in advance.

If I gave an oral presentation of my basic science research conducted after an internship at a U.S. government facility during undergrad, is that okay for listing under "oral presentations?" There is no published abstract from the research. Just wanted to check before doing so. Thanks for all the helpful info on this thread!
Yes.

A case study I wrote with a physician was published on MedPage Today in their "Case Study" section under "Oncology/Hematology". When I was exchanging emails with the Director of MedPage Today, he said a few physicians would be reviewing it before it would be approved for publishing on their site. How do I classify this?
"Peer reviewed online publication" or
"Non peer reviewed online publication"
Thanks in advance.
Non peer reviewed. A truly peer reviewed publication would have been returned to you to edit/amend.

Thank you for the feedback. I thought so, but wasn’t sure. Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions on here!

Wait, I figured "oral presentations" really referred to oral presentations accepted at conferences, not just presenting your research in any forum? For instance, I also did a presentation on my research in undergrad (through a summer research fellowship), but was going to put that as a research experience, not in the "publications" tab? We also have a similar thing for a research project we are required to do in medical school...

Wait, I figured "oral presentations" really referred to oral presentations accepted at conferences, not just presenting your research in any forum? For instance, I also did a presentation on my research in undergrad (through a summer research fellowship), but was going to put that as a research experience, not in the "publications" tab? We also have a similar thing for a research project we are required to do in medical school...

I mean, you have to list where you gave the presentation, so people will get an idea of the prestige of the presentation. Both my residency and fellowship programs have an annual research day where they have people do oral presentations as well--but not everyone gets to do them.

Might be posting this in the wrong thread, but how far back should I list actual work employment experience? Scribing before medical school count?

Might be posting this in the wrong thread, but how far back should I list actual work employment experience? Scribing before medical school count?
Definitely the wrong thread. But WTH...you're here.

If relevant to medicine, yes, list it. I think scribing before med school counts.

Personally, if you're anything resembling a traditional student (including someone who took 1-5 gap years after undergrad), then I'd probably list literally any employment you've had. You can skip your summer job in retail between freshman and sophomore year of college, but anything where you got a paycheck for more than a couple of months I think should go in there. Firstly it fills in any gaps between undergrad and med school so they know what you were up to, but also I think there's value in having had a Real Job, even if it's not necessarily directly medicine-related.

Reactions: 2 users
Dumb question, but how should we list the authors in the publications section.

Do we have to list them the way that ERAS suggests or can we do abbreviations or full names etc based on what we want?

Dumb question :/
I have a few cases reports (peer reviewed and all associated PMID #'s) and I am trying to figure out if I should put them under "Peer reviewed online publication" or "peer reviewed journal articles/ abstracts" ?
Someone mentioned that peer reviewed journal articles/ abstracts>>>> Peer reviewed online publication , not sure if it is true.....

The problem that I am facing is that I cant find the page numbers to put under "peer reviewed journal articles/ abstracts", for instance this all the info I get :

my name , journal name - Case Rep (2016) 3: 16. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40565757-56578 ( I changed the numbers for privacy), but even when I go to the journal website it does not shows the pages number.

Another article just has the volume and issue number, no the page number....

Any suggestions

Hello guys!
Another dumb question:
What should we put in the "Journal Article(s)/Abstract(s) Title" field, the name of the journal or the title of our publication?
and what do we put in the "Publication Name" field?

Here are a few guidelines regarding what can or should be represented in the various sections of your Common Application Form (CAF).

What can I list under "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts"?
  • Articles that have been published in a peer-reviewed journal.
  • Abstracts that have been published in a peer-reviewed journal. (This is rare, but generally some academic societies have their abstracts published in peer-reviewed journals. For example, abstracts from the International Society for Biomedical Research on Alcoholism World Congress, September 13-16, 2010 were published in a supplement to the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research. This is not a peer-reviewed venue in the traditional sense, so Still Kickin was right to express some reservations about this in another thread. If you were submitting materials for tenure, then you would not list this in any 'peer-reviewed' section of your CV. However, for the purposes of a medical student applying for residency training using the CAF, it is generally considered acceptable to list in this section.)
  • For completed articles published in non-peer-reviewed venues (e.g., newspaper op-eds, Harvard Business School case studies), see below.
  • For abstracts that have been 'published' not in peer-reviewed journals (e.g. conference abstract CD-ROM, conference program book, etc.) see below.
Note: 'Peer review' generally means that your article has been subjected to scrutiny by one or more referees in your field. Generally this does not include book editors (and therefore books and book chapters should not be listed in this category), newspaper and magazine editors, etc.

What can I list under "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts (Other than Published)"?
  • Articles that have been accepted for publication in a peer-reviewed journal.
  • Articles that have been conditionally accepted for publication in a peer-reviewed journal.
  • For not-yet completed manuscripts that have been submitted for publication, not yet been submitted for publication but are intended for submission, etc., see below.
What can I list under "Poster Presentation"?
  • Posters that were presented at a regional, national or international research conference. Generally this means that a physical item resembling a research poster was created, and you stood next to the poster during the poster session to discuss the work with viewers.
  • Posters that were presented at a medical school 'research day' can be included here.
  • Posters that you presented at a regional, national or international research conference, even if you were not listed as first author, can be included here.
  • Posters that were presented by another member of your research team (i.e., not you) at a regional, national or international research conference, even if you were listed as one of the authors -- even if you were listed as first author -- should not be included here. A listing belongs here if you were the one who did the talking.
What can I list under "Oral Presentation"?
  • Presentations given at a regional, national or international research conference. Generally this means that you delivered a presentation from a podium in a lecture hall.
  • 'Grand Rounds' presentations (that were explicitly labeled as such) delivered at an academic medical center or community hospital can be included here. This is a nod to medical tradition, as 'Grand Rounds' presentations are typically afforded a greater degree of prestige and visibility the medical field (rightly or wrongly so).
  • Other teaching presentations delivered in a relatively high-visibility setting (e.g., a presentation on ACLS as part of a training course for para-medical professionals, CME talks, a 'brown bag' seminar at a Department of Economics, etc.) can be included here.
  • Presentations delivered to your hospital ward team during routine clinical care, in a journal club setting, etc. are generally not included here.
What can I list under "Other Articles"?
  • Significant publications that do not belong in the other categories can be included here. For example: books, book chapters, newspaper op-eds, the American Journal of Psychiatry's "Electronic Edition for Residents", etc. If it seems weird to you that a full-length book is downgraded in the eyes of science, then that is generally an accurate description of perceptions in the field. A book is not peer reviewed and carries less weight in the academy then a body of peer-reviewed journal articles. For example, the 'intelligent design' movement is typically denigrated because it has not published in a peer reviewed venue (even though its proponents have published many very widely read books). As another example, Samantha Power won a Pulitzer Prize and National Book Critics Circle Award for her book, 'A Problem from Hell: America and the Age of Genocide', but her academic appointment is 'professor of practice' because her body of work has not been published in peer reviewed venues.
What should I list under "Research Experience"?
  • This section includes all research experience. It would be appropriate to highlight work that has led to publications in any fora (peer-reviewed or not) or awards. For example, "Under the supervision of Professor XYZ, I studied the year-end transfer process of resident continuity clinic patients and the impact of a caseload construction algorithm on physician workload. For this project I conducted the chart review and implemented the statistical analyses. This work was presented at Conference XYZ (see below) and has been submitted for publication in Journal XYZ." Note here the explicit reference "see below" avoids the appearance of double-counting.
  • If you were an author on research that was presented in abstract form at a conference, either as a poster or oral presentation, but you were not the presenter, then you can list the research under 'peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts' if it was published in a peer reviewed journal. If the research was not published in a peer reviewed journal (either as a full article or as an abstract), then you should not list it in any of the categories above. It would be appropriate to describe your involvement in the research project in the 'Research Experience' section.
  • If you were an author on a draft manuscript that is intended for submission to a peer reviewed journal, or has been submitted for publication in a peer reviewed journal, or is currently under review at a peer reviewed journal, but has not advanced further in the publication process (e.g., revise and resubmit, provisionally accepted, accepted for publication, in press, etc.) then you should not list it under 'peer reviewed journal articles'. It would be appropriate to describe your involvement in the research project in the 'Research Experience' section. For example: "Under the supervision of Professor XYZ, I studied the modulation of working memory performance in healthy volunteers with non-invasive cortical stimulation. I also regularly performed clinical assessments in the lab's clinic. We have completed a draft manuscript, "The modulation of working memory performance in children with autism", and by September we plan to submit it for publication in the Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders."
  • Some program directors have been known to ask for any publications listed in your CAF. Therefore, if you do not yet have a draft manuscript available, then you should not describe it as a 'draft manuscript' in this section.
Other considerations
  • In general, you should only include listings that you are comfortable representing as your level of involvement in a particular category.
  • Be conservative in your category assignments. If you are perceived by residency application reviewers to be 'upselling', that will reflect negatively on your application.
  • If you are generally curious about a category assignment, search the SDN forum archives to see if your situation has been described by another applicant in the past. If your search of the SDN forum archives does not yield any fruitful answers, consider posting a question on the SDN forum.
  • If you are considering posting a question on the SDN forum because you just want to see how much upselling you can get away with, then please do not post your question.
  • If you gave a (poster or oral) presentation at a conference, and the abstract corresponding to your presentation was subsequently published in a peer-reviewed journal (e.g., abstracts from the Annual Scientific Meeting of the Research Society on Alcoholism), then you can list in more than one category: (a) peer reviewed journal abstracts, and (b) (poster or oral) presentations.
  • If you gave a (poster or oral) presentation at a conference, and the abstract corresponding to your presentation was 'published' in a non-peer reviewed venue (such as the conference program book or CD-ROM), then see above: this would not count as a 'peer reviewed' publication, and you should not list in more than one category. (If this seems like a capricious function of the academic society's decision about whether or not to commission a journal supplement, it is. If you feel like this is 'unfair' because you don't get to list your work in the 'peer reviewed journal abstracts' section of the CAF, then get over it. Life is unfair.)
Hope this helps. Open to revising this with feedback from program directors or residents on selection committees who have experience reviewing residency applications.
-AT.
So question, How would a StatPearls publication stack up? It has a PubMedID so I am unsure. Does that automatically make it a peer reviewed piece? Also, how about a case report published in Cureus and is labeled "Peer-reviewed?". I know that seems obvious but I want to make sure as I do not have all the knowledge on these facts. What might seem obvious to me might not be correct.

Thanks all. Look forward to the help and thanks for the above!

Dumb question, but how should we list the authors in the publications section.

Do we have to list them the way that ERAS suggests or can we do abbreviations or full names etc based on what we want?
You should list them how they are actually listed on the journal article.
Dumb question :/
I have a few cases reports (peer reviewed and all associated PMID #'s) and I am trying to figure out if I should put them under "Peer reviewed online publication" or "peer reviewed journal articles/ abstracts" ?
Someone mentioned that peer reviewed journal articles/ abstracts>>>> Peer reviewed online publication , not sure if it is true.....

The problem that I am facing is that I cant find the page numbers to put under "peer reviewed journal articles/ abstracts", for instance this all the info I get :

my name , journal name - Case Rep (2016) 3: 16. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40565757-56578 ( I changed the numbers for privacy), but even when I go to the journal website it does not shows the pages number.

Another article just has the volume and issue number, no the page number....

Any suggestions
Peer reviewed journal. Several journals have a lot of online-only content these days, but "peer reviewed online publication" means something other than an actual journal article
Hello guys!
Another dumb question:
What should we put in the "Journal Article(s)/Abstract(s) Title" field, the name of the journal or the title of our publication?
and what do we put in the "Publication Name" field?
The first is the title of your article. The "Publication Name" is the name of the journal, ie "Nature."
So question, How would a StatPearls publication stack up? It has a PubMedID so I am unsure. Does that automatically make it a peer reviewed piece? Also, how about a case report published in Cureus and is labeled "Peer-reviewed?". I know that seems obvious but I want to make sure as I do not have all the knowledge on these facts. What might seem obvious to me might not be correct.

Thanks all. Look forward to the help and thanks for the above!
Again, only you likely know what kind of review went into each of these publications. If the publication says they are peer-reviewed, then you can put that, but keep in mind that we can all read the references and will know that while these are all "publications" and you can say that without being disingenuous, at the same time it doesn't count for the same amount as a more recognizable publication.

@GoSpursGo I see what you mean. So I have two articles, one done through Statpearls with a PubMed ID and one done through Cureus with a pubmed ID. I am wondering whether to choose "peer Reviews journal articles/abstract" or "peer Reviews journal articles/abstract (other than published)" in MyERAS.

I am confused by the "other than published" aspect. Both of my articles were "published" so how do I know which is the correct selection?

Also, where would I look for the volume, page, etc? The citations I have for each article do not have this information clearly stated. I will copy and paste the citations without the article title and authors name to protect other members anonymity.

1. StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK53975767/
2. Cureus 11(7): e5203. doi:10.7759/cureus.520356

Thank you.

Best, TP

@GoSpursGo I see what you mean. So I have two articles, one done through Statpearls with a PubMed ID and one done through Cureus with a pubmed ID. I am wondering whether to choose "peer Reviews journal articles/abstract" or "peer Reviews journal articles/abstract (other than published)" in MyERAS.

I am confused by the "other than published" aspect. Both of my articles were "published" so how do I know which is the correct selection?

Also, where would I look for the volume, page, etc? The citations I have for each article do not have this information clearly stated. I will copy and paste the citations without the article title and authors name to protect other members anonymity.

1. StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK53975767/
2. Cureus 11(7): e5203. doi:10.7759/cureus.520356

Thank you.

Best, TP
If they're published, then don't put "other than published."

If you don't have a volume/page/whatever, leave that section blank.

Does anybody know if passed AMA resolutions can be used and where they would go?

Does anybody know if passed AMA resolutions can be used and where they would go?
I'm not sure what you're asking about specifically, but I'm going to suggest "Experiences" and you can talk about your AMA advocacy.

Be aware that a plurality (if not outright majority) of physicians consider the AMA to be at best a joke, and at worst, working in active opposition to their livelihood. So tread lightly.

I just completed a graduate school program in Biomedical Sciences. Part of the program requirements is that we submit our thesis/dissertation to our school Digital Commons (Open Access), which is made available to the general public. I want to know what publication category should I include this on ERAS. Is it "Peer Reviewed Online Publication"? Thanks in advance.

-CenteredDoc

I just completed a graduate school program in Biomedical Sciences. Part of the program requirements is that we submit our thesis/dissertation to our school Digital Commons (Open Access), which is made available to the general public. I want to know what publication category should I include this on ERAS. Is it "Peer Reviewed Online Publication"? Thanks in advance.

-CenteredDoc

Based on what you're describing, no it would not fall under that category, as it was never sent out for peer review and gone through the publication process. It's essentially your schools blog that just happened to post your thesis, not an actual journal that you submit to that undergoes peer review.

-CenteredDoc
Agree, it doesn't seem like you ever received any feedback or review and it was just summarily posted online. Honestly not sure it should be listed as a publication at all--seems more like a major school assignment that happens to be posted online--but if you want to it should not be listed as peer reviewed.

What can I list under "Poster Presentation"?
  • Posters that were presented at a regional, national or international research conference. Generally this means that a physical item resembling a research poster was created, and you stood next to the poster during the poster session to discuss the work with viewers.
  • Posters that were presented at a medical school 'research day' can be included here.
  • Posters that you presented at a regional, national or international research conference, even if you were not listed as first author, can be included here.
  • Posters that were presented by another member of your research team (i.e., not you) at a regional, national or international research conference, even if you were listed as one of the authors -- even if you were listed as first author -- should not be included here. A listing belongs here if you were the one who did the talking.
What can I list under "Oral Presentation"?
  • Presentations given at a regional, national or international research conference. Generally this means that you delivered a presentation from a podium in a lecture hall.
  • 'Grand Rounds' presentations (that were explicitly labeled as such) delivered at an academic medical center or community hospital can be included here. This is a nod to medical tradition, as 'Grand Rounds' presentations are typically afforded a greater degree of prestige and visibility the medical field (rightly or wrongly so).
  • Other teaching presentations delivered in a relatively high-visibility setting (e.g., a presentation on ACLS as part of a training course for para-medical professionals, CME talks, a 'brown bag' seminar at a Department of Economics, etc.) can be included here.
  • Presentations delivered to your hospital ward team during routine clinical care, in a journal club setting, etc. are generally not included here.

-AT.
[/QUOTE]
I agree with not including the poster/oral presentation abstract if you are not the presenting author. But what about last author? I feel like it carries more weight than first author, since it shows seniority/expertise/experience. But maybe the PD will not see it that way. Any opinion whether last authorship should be included in the list ot not, will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

I agree with not including the poster/oral presentation abstract if you are not the presenting author. But what about last author? I feel like it carries more weight than first author, since it shows seniority/expertise/experience. But maybe the PD will not see it that way. Any opinion whether last authorship should be included in the list ot not, will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
I actually disagree that you need to be the presenting author to list it—if you contributed to something that was worthy of being presented, particularly at a national/regional meeting, then you deserve credit for it. Yes, it’s more impressive if you actually present, but what’s the point of listing multiple authors at all if only one person gets credit?

Just don’t be disingenuous. If you aren’t the presenting author, make sure you make this clear somehow—I would generally put a * next to the presenting author, and then have a line at the end explaining the notation.

Dumb question, but for abstracts are you guys putting in submitted abstracts or just accepted abstracts?
It’s been a while since I filled out ERAS. If there’s a section for “submitted,” go for it, otherwise I wouldn’t. I don’t think there was when I filled irbid out but it’s possible it could have changed

Hi, sorry to bother y'all. I read through the guide but still have some confusion on listing posters. So I am an author on a manuscript that is currently under review for publication (just heard back from them with edits but no revisions needed so fingers crossed). The team has presented a poster on the manuscript at one local conference and two national conferences. I was able to attend the local but not the national conferences. If we do not get word back, how would I list all this? Would it be a poster presentation for the local ending with a "see below" and then a research experience entry with the national conferences and manuscript under review? Also, the research started with a student organization I was a founding member of. Would the work I did with the organization still go under experiences or would it go here since it led to the research project?

Last edited:
Will it look bad putting down 10 abstracts on my application as "submitted" since the conference deadline is August 31st?
You really have 10 separate research projects which you contributed to over the past year that don’t overlap in any way/could be condensed into fewer abstracts?:eyebrow: It honestly feels like these are probably several parts of a larger project(s) that could be reported in fewer abstracts (and thus actually be more useful). But of course I don’t know that for sure.

Color me skeptical, but hey I didn’t apply to a competitive specialty so maybe that’s the game. If you really have that many abstracts and you feel this is the best way to submit them, and there’s a way to list submitted abstracts and are choosing to do so, then as long as you’re not being disingenuous you do you.

yes, but that's only because i'm currently in a research gap year. the abstracts which i did list are only those which were accepted, however this conference is one of our bigger national conferences. from reading your comment, it does sound sketch as well, so i'll probably not include them. :(
So they're already accepted? Or you still need to submit them later this month? Cuz your two posts seem to conflict on whether they are accepted yet or not.

If they're accepted, then sure list them. Also, if you don't have any other abstracts/pubs from your research gap year, then definitely find a place to mention them even if you choose not to do so here to make it clear you were productive in this gap year--that changes the math for me completely, 10 is still high but it's at least plausible to me that you could have that many.

If a project came out of work with a student org, how does that org get listed? Would is be just a standard experience entry for student org work and then a separate research experience entry?