ERAS 'Publications' Listing FAQ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did some research recently that led to the creation of a manuscript which was then subsequently submitted to a well-known journal. However, the point guy decided eventually that he didn't want to go through with the submission so we ended up not going through the review process to have the paper accepted. Obviously, I will not be listing this as a publication but would it be worthwhile to list this under research experiences as I did spend a significant amount of time on it. If I do that, should I then list the manuscript in the blurb?

Members don't see this ad.

I did some research recently that led to the creation of a manuscript which was then subsequently submitted to a well-known journal. However, the point guy decided eventually that he didn't want to go through with the submission so we ended up not going through the review process to have the paper accepted. Obviously, I will not be listing this as a publication but would it be worthwhile to list this under research experiences as I did spend a significant amount of time on it. If I do that, should I then list the manuscript in the blurb?
Yes, that is the correct place to list it.

Bummer though.

I'm sorry if this was addressed earlier but what about oral presentations done in front of a program cohort? For example, I was part of a summer research program and presented my research as a formal presentation to all the participants and their mentors/faculty. This was not the school's "research day" or anything national. Does this count or not?

I'm sorry if this was addressed earlier but what about oral presentations done in front of a program cohort? For example, I was part of a summer research program and presented my research as a formal presentation to all the participants and their mentors/faculty. This was not the school's "research day" or anything national. Does this count or not?

It counts as research experience. It's not a presentation/publication.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I know that this has probably been asked before, but where do you recommend I put a manuscript that has been accepted and published online "ahead of print"? I ask because this "Online First" article will not have the info needed to complete the volume, issue, pages fields in ERAS, but it does have a PMID. Thanks for your help!

Hi, @gutonc. Thank you for answering all of our questions during this time. I tried my best to figure out everything myself and reading Q&As of prior years. I was wondering if you can make sure I have put everything in the proper area of my application:

Publications
1. Peer Review Journal Article (other than published) Disclaimer: All the three journals I submitted into are peer-reviewed journals.
i. First case report that just got accepted two weeks ago w/ status accepted.
ii. 2nd case report that just got returned for revisions. Is there no intermediate choices of listing this. I believe you had said anybody can submit anything but being "with editor" means more. For the time being I just left it as "submitted".
iii. 3rd case report that we just submitted. It's under the status of submitted.

2. Oral Presentations
i. Morbidity and Mortality presentation
ii. Tumor Board Presentation. However, my concern is that my tumor board presentations were VERY superficial. All that was asked of us was to provide patients name, admitting vitals, medications the patient was on, pertinent lab values of the patient, imaging findings, procedure done, and any post-op complications. The actual attending went into further details of the pathology, imaging findings, and intervention used. I did several of them during my 3rd year in my surgery rotation, can I still put that here, or no?
iii. I had made two PPTs while on my electives, can I include these in here. The ppts were more so for educational purposes. One being "Clinical Eye Findings in Neurology" and the other being about "Contact Sensitivity Half-Life".

3. Other Articles
i. I'm putting here a book chapter which I was asked to write about while on my Anesthesiology elective. The chapter went into the Student Anesthesiology Handbook.

Thank you so much @gutonc for all of your help.

I know that this has probably been asked before, but where do you recommend I put a manuscript that has been accepted and published online "ahead of print"? I ask because this "Online First" article will not have the info needed to complete the volume, issue, pages fields in ERAS, but it does have a PMID. Thanks for your help!
Also curious to this answer because I am in a similar situation. For now I put in the "Volume" "issue" "pages" the term "Awaiting Publication" ... not sure if that is best as these lines must be filled in to be saved or if anyone has a better recommendation.

Hi, @gutonc. Thank you for answering all of our questions during this time. I tried my best to figure out everything myself and reading Q&As of prior years. I was wondering if you can make sure I have put everything in the proper area of my application:

Publications
1. Peer Review Journal Article (other than published) Disclaimer: All the three journals I submitted into are peer-reviewed journals.
i. First case report that just got accepted two weeks ago w/ status accepted.
ii. 2nd case report that just got returned for revisions. Is there no intermediate choices of listing this. I believe you had said anybody can submit anything but being "with editor" means more. For the time being I just left it as "submitted".
iii. 3rd case report that we just submitted. It's under the status of submitted.
This seems fine.
2. Oral Presentations
i. Morbidity and Mortality presentation
ii. Tumor Board Presentation. However, my concern is that my tumor board presentations were VERY superficial. All that was asked of us was to provide patients name, admitting vitals, medications the patient was on, pertinent lab values of the patient, imaging findings, procedure done, and any post-op complications. The actual attending went into further details of the pathology, imaging findings, and intervention used. I did several of them during my 3rd year in my surgery rotation, can I still put that here, or no?
iii. I had made two PPTs while on my electives, can I include these in here. The ppts were more so for educational purposes. One being "Clinical Eye Findings in Neurology" and the other being about "Contact Sensitivity Half-Life".
I personally think this is padding and would leave them out.
3. Other Articles
i. I'm putting here a book chapter which I was asked to write about while on my Anesthesiology elective. The chapter went into the Student Anesthesiology Handbook.
Seems fine.

If you'd already done it, why ask the question?

Sorry, didn't mean to come off as smart@$$. The application hasn't be submitted yet. I was just wondering the consequences of leaving it in there. Thank you again for taking your time to answer my questions.

Sorry, didn't mean to come off as smart@$$. The application hasn't be submitted yet. I was just wondering the consequences of leaving it in there. Thank you again for taking your time to answer my questions.
It's weaksauce. The consequences of leaving it in are that you look like a douche.

Leave it out.

I have two manuscripts currently being prepared for submission that likely wont be submitted before ERAS opens on the 15th. They might be submitted later this month or next month. Should I put them down as research experiences?

Where should I put a submitted abstract for oral presentation? Under Research Experience, Oral Presentation dated with the conference date, or under "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts (Other than Published)"? Thanks

Where should I put a submitted abstract for oral presentation? Under Research Experience, Oral Presentation dated with the conference date, or under "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts (Other than Published)"? Thanks
It hasn't been accepted yet. So put it in research experience with a note that you've submitted the abstract.

One of my articles just got accepted today for publication in a peer reviewed journal. But on ERAS, there are 2 options for its status, "accepted" and "in-press"? Is there a difference between the two and which should I indicate?

Can anyone answer this? What should I put in the "Volume, issue, pages" sections on ERAS?

Can anyone answer this? What should I put in the "Volume, issue, pages" sections on ERAS?
I am definitely not an expert, but I put "Epub ahead of print" (like it says on pubmed) for volume and "-" in issue and page number... It doesn't restrict you to only writing numbers in those fields on the application. Doing it this way instead of saying it was a non-published article allowed me to put the PMID in.

Edit for example.
This makes it look like:

peanutz. Cotton candy cures cancer: a randomized controlled trial. The Journal of Candy and Clinical Oncology. 2016, Aug; E-pub ahead of print(-): -.
Cited in PubMed; PMID: 12345678.

in the ERAS CV format.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my articles just got accepted today for publication in a peer reviewed journal. But on ERAS, there are 2 options for its status, "accepted" and "in-press"? Is there a difference between the two and which should I indicate?

"Accepted" means it has been accepted by peer review and the editor and will be published, but probably still has to undergo editing and is not finalized and may not be searchable on PubMed. "In-press" means it has been finalized (generally) and you can get a physical copy of it via download off the journal's website. Likewise it should be PubMed searchable.

Would abstracts from the following conference count as "Peer Reviewed Journal Abstracts"?

http://journals.lww.com/asaiojournal/pages/default.aspx

Please follow the link, look on the right-hand side, and scroll down just a tiny bit to see the conference's abstracts from the past 3 years.

The reason I don't see this as a clear-cut answer (and thus am asking) is that, up until 2012, they published conference abstracts as a full supplemental issue of the journal (see bottom of http://journals.lww.com/asaiojournal/pages/issuelist.aspx?year=2012). In this case, I would definitely consider them peer reviewed published abstracts. However, from 2013 onward they've only thrown the abstracts up on the journal website as a PDF (as you can see from the first link) without, as far as I can tell, releasing an actual supplemental issue of the journal specifically for them.

To be clear, the abstract in question would be from 2015.

Any input? Thanks!

Would abstracts from the following conference count as "Peer Reviewed Journal Abstracts"?

http://journals.lww.com/asaiojournal/pages/default.aspx

Please follow the link, look on the right-hand side, and scroll down just a tiny bit to see the conference's abstracts from the past 3 years.

The reason I don't see this as a clear-cut answer (and thus am asking) is that, up until 2012, they published conference abstracts as a full supplemental issue of the journal (see bottom of http://journals.lww.com/asaiojournal/pages/issuelist.aspx?year=2012). In this case, I would definitely consider them peer reviewed published abstracts. However, from 2013 onward they've only thrown the abstracts up on the journal website as a PDF (as you can see from the first link) without, as far as I can tell, releasing an actual supplemental issue of the journal specifically for them.

To be clear, the abstract in question would be from 2015.

Any input? Thanks!
You are wrong on both accounts. Conference abstracts are just that. They are not peer reviewed publications. Ever.

Feel free to tell your mom you got published, but don't try to pull that s*** on a PD.

You are wrong on both accounts. Conference abstracts are just that. They are not peer reviewed publications. Ever.

Feel free to tell your mom you got published, but don't try to pull that s*** on a PD.

I was only thinking this based on the first post in this thread (copied below), which says in certain cases they can be listed under "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts." I know they aren't "publications" in the traditional sense, but that made it seem as if it is okay to list them as "published abstracts." If it's questionable practice though I guess I'd rather not try to "upsell" and cheapen the actual peer reviewed papers I've published.

What can I list under "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts"?
  • Articles that have been published in a peer-reviewed journal.
  • Abstracts that have been published in a peer-reviewed journal. (This is rare, but generally some academic societies have their abstracts published in peer-reviewed journals. For example, abstracts from the International Society for Biomedical Research on Alcoholism World Congress, September 13-16, 2010 were published in a supplement to the journalAlcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research. This is not a peer-reviewed venue in the traditional sense, so Still Kickin was right to express some reservations about this inanother thread. If you were submitting materials for tenure, then you would not list this in any 'peer-reviewed' section of your CV. However, for the purposes of a medical student applying for residency training using the CAF, it is generally considered acceptable to list in this section.)

I am a sportswriter and have published over 80 articles online. Would it be upselling to list all of them in the non peer-reviewed section? I feel that is an appropriate section, but I also have legitimate research (19 accepted/published manuscripts) so I don't want the sports stuff blurring out how many research papers I have too.

I am a sportswriter and have published over 80 articles online. Would it be upselling to list all of them in the non peer-reviewed section? I feel that is an appropriate section, but I also have legitimate research (19 accepted/published manuscripts) so I don't want the sports stuff blurring out how many research papers I have too.
That should not be on your ERAS CV. You can include it in employment history or "activities" if you want.

What about a student profile/interview that was written about me and featured on the school website? Can this go in the Publications section under "Other Articles", even though I am technically not the author?

Also, if you double majored in college, do you put only one of your majors on ERAS or do you list the college twice, one for each major?

Last edited:
Don't list a student profile/interview as a publication. If you want to reference it somewhere else, such as in the Awards/Honors section, or in your PS, because you think it adds to your application, then do that. It's all about content -- if it doesn't add anything to your application then don't list it at all.

You should list the college once. I think you can list two majors? Not sure. But don't list it twice.

Good day!

I have had research papers since, Undergrad years in Medical Tech, in which area of the CV should I place and under which category should I place my undergraduate Research papers?
And under which categories (e.g Other Articles or what???) should I write my research papers during Med School years, since I have 3 in total research papers presented to my school/hospital's research committee??

And are voluntary works such as attended medical missions and Free clinics a good idea to able to be placed on my CV? and how, since It only lasted for a few days to a week.

Are Non Medical Affiliations non-writeable on the CV??

In research papers, I have done 3 during my medical school years, but it was not published in a journal. But, it was though scrutinised by the school's research board and accepted after several proposals/presentations. Where do I generally place these research papers??

I skimmed through this thread and saw comments saying that if a project is published as a journal article, then its abstract or poster presentation should be omitted to reduce padding. Does this still hold true if a project is being submitted as a journal article? My guess is that the answer is yes, but I was hoping to clarify.

How about when the application has 4-5 journal articles with 0-1 presentations/abstracts? It has minimal padding, but does this look down upon by PDs because it only has a few "number of abstracts, presentations, and publications" compared to other applicants with higher numbers? I don't want to give an impression that I was not active/enthusiastic with attending major meetings for networking and presenting.

In research papers, I have done 3 during my medical school years, but it was not published in a journal. But, it was though scrutinised by the school's research board and accepted after several proposals/presentations. Where do I generally place these research papers??
Research experiences. If they're not published in journals or presented at conferences, they're research experiences not publications.

I skimmed through this thread and saw comments saying that if a project is published as a journal article, then its abstract or poster presentation should be omitted to reduce padding. Does this still hold true if a project is being submitted as a journal article? My guess is that the answer is yes, but I was hoping to clarify.

How about when the application has 4-5 journal articles with 0-1 presentations/abstracts? It has minimal padding, but does this look down upon by PDs because it only has a few "number of abstracts, presentations, and publications" compared to other applicants with higher numbers? I don't want to give an impression that I was not active/enthusiastic with attending major meetings for networking and presenting.
1 journal article is worth 100 "abstracts/presentations".

If you gave a platform presentation at a major regional/national conference, and then that work got published, go ahead and put both in. But if you shopped a poster around to a dozen different conferences and then eventually published that data, just list the pub.

Just so we're clear, it's only a "research paper" if you submitted it to a peer reviewed journal and it was accepted and published. If you "wrote up research" and "presented it to your school's committee", that's not a research paper. That's just a research experience that you can put on your ERAS application.

All of your published papers get listed as part of your app, in the date order they were published. There's no "sections" to list them in.

All of the other things you're talking about are volunteer activities, or perhaps hobbies and interests. Those also can go on your ERAS application. However, remember that "more" is not "better". If you fill your application full of fluff, I won't see the important bits. List the things that are important to you, that you spent significant time on, and that you'd want to discuss in an interview.

Just so we're clear, it's only a "research paper" if you submitted it to a peer reviewed journal and it was accepted and published. If you "wrote up research" and "presented it to your school's committee", that's not a research paper. That's just a research experience that you can put on your ERAS application.

All of your published papers get listed as part of your app, in the date order they were published. There's no "sections" to list them in.

All of the other things you're talking about are volunteer activities, or perhaps hobbies and interests. Those also can go on your ERAS application. However, remember that "more" is not "better". If you fill your application full of fluff, I won't see the important bits. List the things that are important to you, that you spent significant time on, and that you'd want to discuss in an interview.

thank you for the reply sir. That now makes sense. Posters and the research I did was then only experience, Since it was only presented to my committee since. Thank you again for the reply

Dear all,
I would like to know where should "Letter to Editor" go? Is it peer-reviewed publications, or other publications?
These letters are my response to other letters for the original research I published in the same medical journal.

Another question is, I have research which was presented in national meeting, international meeting, as well as published as a full article.
Should I list them all (triple-counting), or only list the published article?
I don't want exaggerate my publication lists, but I would like to know what is the normal way of doing this.

Thanks a lot for all your great input!

Last edited:
I don't see any 'Research Experience' drop down box in the 'Publications' listings... Has ERAS changed since OP started that thread?

I don't see any 'Research Experience' drop down box in the 'Publications' listings... Has ERAS changed since OP started that thread?
Probably a dozen or so times, yes. But it won't be in the Publications area anyway. It will be in "experiences" or whatever they call it these days.

Yes, it's under "Experiences">drop-down menu>"Research"

I submitted an abstract to ACP. Under the publications tab on ERAS there is a " Peer reviewed Journal article and abstracts (other than published)" option. And then it gives you the option of selecting submitted, accepted etc. Is it ok put my abstract under this or will it come under research experience?

I submitted an abstract to ACP. Under the publications tab on ERAS there is a " Peer reviewed Journal article and abstracts (other than published)" option. And then it gives you the option of selecting submitted, accepted etc. Is it ok put my abstract under this or will it come under research experience?
"Peer reviewed journal articles and abstracts (other than published)" category only applies to peer-reviewed articles and abstracts that will be published in a medical/scientific journal. As I understand it, you submitted an abstract to a conference in order to present a poster or to make an oral presentation? If this is the case, your abstract will not actually be published in a journal, so you should list this as a research experience.
*Very rarely* some smaller, very selective conferences publish abstracts in their society's journal (eg. American College of Neuropsychopharmacology publishes abstracts from its annual meeting in its journal Neuropsychopharmacology, but it's a *very selective* conference and there are not that many abstracts). However, I highly doubt this is the case with ACP, which is a huge conference of the kind that don't publish abstracts in journals.

As I understand it, you submitted an abstract to a conference in order to present a poster or to make an oral presentation? If this is the case, your abstract will not actually be published in a journal, so you should list this as a research experience.

If you submit an abstract and give a presentation at a conference, you can list it as a presentation under the published area. I would not list that it was submitted somewhere else unless it was actually published.

What should I put a book I published as? There's no good option smh...

How is everyone putting in articles that are viewable online (ePub) but will not be in the official journal until a later issue (December in my case)?

Also, if something is published online, then published in a journal, does that count as 2 publication entries? I see on ERAS that it has a separate type for peer-reviewed journal article as well as a peer reviewed online publication where you can put a URL. The reason I ask is because I want to let them know an article is In press, but I also want to give them the URL so that they can take a look at the online version.

I looked at the previous pages and couldn't find an answer. Thanks!

Last edited:
Confused:

1) Have a publication in a peer reviewed journal publication, 9 page paper in International Journal of Particle Therapy. Not categorized under PubMed. List as publication, but just not put PMID?

2) Multiple accepted abstracts at an annual meeting for Posters. Didn't go to some of the poster presentations unless first author. The abstracts are all published under the journal's supplement. List as "peer reviewed abstract" or "poster presentation"... or "peer reviewed articles/abstracts (other than published)?