ERAS is a COMPLETE PITA! Only 510 characters???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeneGoddess

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, ERAS is now open, and I have to start complaining. I have a great CV that I spent a lot of time on and I think it looks fantastic. Well, I was under the impression that I could upload it onto my ERAS application. Apparently not! I'm also an MD/PhD, which has its own set of problems (really), but I've only been given 510 characters to describe "other awards"??? This is by no means an "I'm so great" attention ***** post, but I won two competitive grants and several poster awards during my research AND I CAN'T FIT THEM IN JUST 510 SPACES!!! WTF??? Hello, I have a TWO page CV! I'm obviously going to have more stuff in my nine years than someone else will with just four! It's just really annoying!

Members don't see this ad.

Chill out. Nobody wants to read a bunch of fluff about how great you are anyway. Too many details on your cv will cause most pd's to turn the page to the next app. This is a professional application and should be very concise. These people will be reading thousands of applications and don't have time to read the details of your research. Keep it BASIC.

thegasman said:
Chill out. Nobody wants to read a bunch of fluff about how great you are anyway. Too many details on your cv will cause most pd's to turn the page to the next app. This is a professional application and should be very concise. These people will be reading thousands of applications and don't have time to read the details of your research. Keep it BASIC.

This isn't a tedious list of stuff with every little detail of everything I ever did, but to give you an example, this is ONE grant:

NIH Student Training Fellowship (Molecular Basis of Differentiation and Development - T32HD07325) in association with UT - MD Anderson Cancer Center - 2000-2002.

And I have TWO of the stupid things (the other one is in association with Baylor COM, which is a different school, so I have to say "in assoc with"). They're competitive, and since I'm applying to combo Pedi and Medical Genetics programs that are research intensive, they want to know about grants.

SO, I've cut down to less than 510 characters (509, in one case), and that is LITERALLY four-five lines of text.

I hate standardized applications. It reminds me of when I was applying for med school and they were just starting to use computers (dinosaur age, I know). The program wouldn't let me list all of my classes for my sophomore year. Somehow, I had taken "too many" hours.

God knows I'm not a braggart (if the Step 1 scores here are to be believed, I'm a real dunce! :) ). But I know that there are many people who did a TON of stuff or won a ton of awards who won't be able to include everything. I've done a lot because I've been in school for NINE years (not including undergrad - ugh). But 510 characters is not 510 words. It's only 4-5 lines. Honestly, my CV is almost 2pgs and looks very clean. But most of it is research related (grants, poster awards, etc), not "worlds best medical student" (cause I'm not!).

Why can't we just scan in a PDF of our CV?

It should just be "NIH Student training Fellowship." If they know what it is, they'll know it's competitive. If they don't, it's not helping you anyway.

I would just list the awards/scholarships/honors, with a brief sentence describing each one. You could always expand on any given item in your PS or interview.

Bring a copy of your full CV to interviews if you want - it might spark some more conversation and make you look extra interested that you went through the time to prepare additional information to bring.

Just having a the phd should make most research-oriented programs want to interview you even without knowing the details of all the awards. Breifly list all the awards you can fit and then be ready to expand on them during the interviews.

Don't worry. You are way ahead of your competition. They probably make it a short section because the majority of us, like Amy above and me, have nothing to write in the awards section.

fourthyear said:
They probably make it a short section because the majority of us, like Amy above and me, have nothing to write in the awards section.

Yep. The only thing I can enter in that section is: "Award for Causing the Greatest Number of CVA's in Staff & Administration"