ERAS and ECFMG Certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GynoGal1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I'm an IMG who is about to finish the examination process and be ready to apply for residency. I had a couple of quick questions that I was hoping to get some answers on. I have already taken Step 1 and CS and will have my medical school diploma sent to ECFMG in the middle of July. The only thing left is Step 2 CK which I am taking on the 7th of July. Unfortunately the scores will not be released until Sept 6th and I'm worried about the Sept 15th ERAS submission deadline. My questions:

1. ECFMG will already have my diploma and Step 1/CS scores, on the 6th of Sept when my CK score is released will I have to start an application to get my ECFMG certificate or do they automatically receive the Step 2 CK score and automatically send the certificate? Also when should I expect the online confirmation that I am ECFMG certified?

2. When can I submit my ERAS application so that the residencies see me as ECFMG Certified? My thinking is whenever a date shows up in OASIS -> Medical Education Credentials and Standard ECFMG Certificate -> Standard ECFMG Certificate Issue Date, is this correct?

Sorry if it's convoluted and hard to understand, but thank you for all your help :)

Members don't see this ad.

1. You will apply for ECFMG certification and send everything you have. Once you complete the whole process, it appears it can take up to 3 weeks to actually get the certification document. See here: ECFMG On-line Application

2. Yes. When you're certified, ECFMG will forward that information to ERAS. That should be very fast and automatic, likely less than 24 hours. Note that you can apply to programs whenever you want, and when your certification status updates, it will be immediately available to programs. Many IMG candidates are not certified at the time of application, as many have not yet graduated from medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
1. You will apply for ECFMG certification and send everything you have. Once you complete the whole process, it appears it can take up to 3 weeks to actually get the certification document. See here: ECFMG On-line Application

2. Yes. When you're certified, ECFMG will forward that information to ERAS. That should be very fast and automatic, likely less than 24 hours. Note that you can apply to programs whenever you want, and when your certification status updates, it will be immediately available to programs. Many IMG candidates are not certified at the time of application, as many have not yet graduated from medical school.

This is my experience as well. You will apply without ECFMG certification then update ERAS when it goes through hopefully in October.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you for your answer. I had a sort of related follow up question. I'm applying IM (broadly of course) and have a 250+ Step 1. In your expert opinion would it be more advantageous to take Step 2 CK before applying or hold off until after interviews go out?

Thank you for your answer. I had a sort of related follow up question. I'm applying IM (broadly of course) and have a 250+ Step 1. In your expert opinion would it be more advantageous to take Step 2 CK before applying or hold off until after interviews go out?

If you are an IMG / FMG, for God's sake, take Step 2 CK, CS, and think about Step 3 before applying.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

If you are an IMG / FMG, for God's sake, take Step 2 CK, CS, and think about Step 3 before applying

Agreed, although Step 3 is much less important, unless you want an H visa.

Some (?many) programs won't even look at your application unless you have Steps 1 and 2 completed.

Thanks for the answers again guys/gals. Thankfully I don't need a visa (citizen), my only hesitation at taking step 2 CK before interviews go out is if programs see my score fall below 250 and thus not showing improvement. But it seems to me more important to go in ECFMG certified than to have a slight drop in scrore?