ER Tech vs Private ambo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frozen Flame

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently passed my National Registry (I mean *really* recently, I haven't even got my cert in the mail yet) for EMT-B. I'm still in high school (second semester senior), but I'm already 18, so I'm looking into getting a health care related job.

I'm pretty much the cookie-cutter example of someone in this position. Already got accepted to U of A for pre-med, want to become an Anesthesiologist. I figured ER Tech seems like a great in for me at this point, if only to get the patient-care experience. I understand EMS (Pre-hospital) is a different environment than the hospital, and I won't deny both would give me good experience (although differing experiences nonetheless).

I'll also mention that there seems to be a freeze on ER Techs in the valley. When I did my clinical rotation last november for EMT, the coordinator at the hospital for my rotation mentioned the freeze. Then again, it was a good three months ago, and it may just apply to that hospital.

Also, there are really only two private ambulance companies in my area. One doesn't provide in my city, but the neighboring cities (I'm in Phoenix, AZ), which aren't too far off since its a metropolis, but it's still a pain if I have to drive 10+ miles when I'm still in school.

Which field would you guys recommend for an aspiring Anesthesiologist, and any tips for getting that job? There aren't any postings for techs in any of the hospitals I'm looking to apply to. What else can I do besides having a smile on my face when I hand HR my resume?

Members don't see this ad.

So I recently passed my National Registry (I mean *really* recently, I haven't even got my cert in the mail yet) for EMT-B. I'm still in high school (second semester senior), but I'm already 18, so I'm looking into getting a health care related job.

I'm pretty much the cookie-cutter example of someone in this position. Already got accepted to U of A for pre-med, want to become an Anesthesiologist. I figured ER Tech seems like a great in for me at this point, if only to get the patient-care experience. I understand EMS (Pre-hospital) is a different environment than the hospital, and I won't deny both would give me good experience (although differing experiences nonetheless).

I'll also mention that there seems to be a freeze on ER Techs in the valley. When I did my clinical rotation last november for EMT, the coordinator at the hospital for my rotation mentioned the freeze. Then again, it was a good three months ago, and it may just apply to that hospital.

Also, there are really only two private ambulance companies in my area. One doesn't provide in my city, but the neighboring cities (I'm in Phoenix, AZ), which aren't too far off since its a metropolis, but it's still a pain if I have to drive 10+ miles when I'm still in school.

Which field would you guys recommend for an aspiring Anesthesiologist, and any tips for getting that job? There aren't any postings for techs in any of the hospitals I'm looking to apply to. What else can I do besides having a smile on my face when I hand HR my resume?

I'm not really familiar with EMS in the the Phoenix, AZ area and I have to say that this kind of question can be very state/service dependent. Regardless, I think you should consider that you will be taking pre-med classes in the fall and these are not easy by any means. Working on an ambulance allows you to study while at work and being an ER tech does not. I got lots of studying done at work while I was in college and through my post-bac. Its really a great deal if you are a student. However, you might get to see sicker patients in the ED (but again this is very area and service dependent).

I'm not really familiar with EMS in the the Phoenix, AZ area and I have to say that this kind of question can be very state/service dependent. Regardless, I think you should consider that you will be taking pre-med classes in the fall and these are not easy by any means. Working on an ambulance allows you to study while at work and being an ER tech does not. I got lots of studying done at work while I was in college and through my post-bac. Its really a great deal if you are a student. However, you might get to see sicker patients in the ED (but again this is very area and service dependent).

Hmm good point. But U of A is down in Tuscon, so right now it's more of a summer job + a few months while I finish my senior year. I'll have a good 7 months to work either in EMS or the ER before I go down to university to start pre-med.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stay away from the (Phoenix) ambulance company painted blue...

Why do you want to be an anesthesiologist?

Most appealing physician specialty to me. I could very well change my mind by the time I'm in med school, but from what I've seen (Shadowed doctors, participated in research, etc) it seems like a fulfilling specialty.

Stay away from the (Phoenix) ambulance company painted blue...

Haha, I'm guessing you're talking about Southwest. I heard they have a pretty bad reputation. If I went private ambulance, PMT is my choice, but they don't have a base in phoenix, so I'd have to go down to Scottsdale as the closest one.

Anyway, I hit up a few hospitals around my area. There is an ER tech position opening up in two weeks or so. I'm going to try for it.

I have worked for both...

PMT is the blue to which I was referring...

Hmm, interesting. So you recommend southwest over PMT?

My advice is to take think of this with respect to what it really is: a part-time job to make a few bucks. You are a long way away from applying to medical school and there will be tons of opportunities for you to gain experience over that time and refine your ideas about what you want to do. Both the ambulance and the ED job will be fine for giving you the very very basic entry-level experience that you want. ...Just pick the one that will work the best with your school schedule and allow you to focus on what matters most: class.

It's just my opinion...I was an ER tech for 18 months, many years ago...great stuff...worked at Maryvale (phx)...gunshots, stabbings, etc.

as an (entry level) EMT for either company, you'll drive only, then clean the rig while your partner and the FD do everything...

go to the hospital...