Equations to know...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lsu1000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to what everyone is memorizing for CK, or what those who have taken it already wish they had known...

I've got:

Fluid replacement for burns
Anion gap
A/a gradient????
serum osmolality?????
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Members don't see this ad.

lsu1000 said:
Just curious as to what everyone is memorizing for CK, or what those who have taken it already wish they had known...

I've got:

Fluid replacement for burns
Anion gap
A/a gradient????
serum osmolality?????
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

...all that plus the biostats stuff....PPV, NPV, specificity, sensitivity...etc..

Not really equations, but SAAG and Light's Criteria, I assume?

I'd also add Winter's Formula to the list

Not equations per se, but know your preventative medicine, what are the LDL goals for any given patient based on number of risk factors, know specific ages for vaccine and screening schedules

Members don't see this ad :)
Vaccines, like peds? Or as in 65+ needs influenza? I dont think I can put the peds immunization schedule back into my brain. It wont fit.

WTF....Light's criteria? I have never heard of that one before.....I googled it. Am I the only one that has never heard of that?

betz said:
WTF....Light's criteria? I have never heard of that one before.....I googled it. Am I the only one that has never heard of that?

its just a whole bunch of stuff to help you determine transudate for exudate. not very high yield, in my opinion.

p

betz said:
Vaccines, like peds? Or as in 65+ needs influenza? I dont think I can put the peds immunization schedule back into my brain. It wont fit.

No peds vaccines!!!

Only know the preventive stuff...and also which vaccines to NOT give when CD4 counts are low or during pregnancy.

Anyone know if you're really supposed to add 2000cc D5 to the Parkland formula??? I came across this on a QBank question.... :rolleyes:

Diana_UC said:
Anyone know if you're really supposed to add 2000cc D5 to the Parkland formula??? I came across this on a QBank question.... :rolleyes:

Not for the Parkland (4 cc/kg/% BSA burn LR) but Evans and Burke have formulas that use 1-1.5 cc/kg/% LR and those formulas add 2 L of D5 to their resuscitation.

So, specifically for Parkland resuscitation, no.

Also, might want to know... ???

Corrected Na for glucose

FENa

PaO2/FiO2 < 200 (ARDS) b/w 200-300 (ALI)

RSBI < 100, then ok to wean mechanical ventilation?

APGAR, GCS

Do you think we really need to be able to calculate A-a gradient and serum osmolality?

Also, might want to know... ???

Corrected Na for glucose

FENa

PaO2/FiO2 < 200 (ARDS) b/w 200-300 (ALI)

RSBI < 100, then ok to wean mechanical ventilation?

APGAR, GCS

Do you think we really need to be able to calculate A-a gradient and serum osmolality?

Out of these, I think APGAR and GCS are most likely to show up on boards. I wouldnt expect to see the rest, although corrected Na can be HY, and at least knowing what FENa values mean (although I dont think youd have to calc it). Not so much on the rest.

Out of these, I think APGAR and GCS are most likely to show up on boards.

Agreed, know what to do for a given APGAR score and know based on a scenario what the patient's GCS is-- "less than 8 intubate":thumbup:

I took step 2 a few weeks ago or so and did really well and there were NO equations needed, NO criteria needed to memorize, NO biostats to memorize-there is basically nothing you had to memorize-you had to know smartly how to manage patients but all the choices were reasonably far apart so there was nothing you had to memorize if you knew general managment-so if were me i wouldnt memorize crap! and i did 250 on it-so u dont need it forsure

I didn't have many equations on mine. All I used was some basic biostats equations like PPV, specificity, sensitivity. I also used Winter's formula to check for compensation of an acid base question.