EPIC eRecord Rounding Reports with auto-populated FISHBONES?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reckoning

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am working on improving the rounding reports that EPIC creates in our program which are essentially useless, especially for surgical teams. We would like to squeeze 20-25 patients on a single page and include CBC, BMP, coats, etc in one the column (see below). We currently hand write our fishbones which seems ridiculous, but we've done it that way for years...

Does anyone one work in a program that does the above before we reinvent the wheel. Currently we have created fishbones using "rounding report" but can only get 8-9 patients on a page. So we are making progress but need to be able to alter the formatting of the rounding reports. Please shoot me a message if you can help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Surgical Rounding List Fishbones.jpeg
    Surgical Rounding List Fishbones.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 940
Your attachment has their name and medical record # displayed

I'd like to know how you got the fishbones done. So far, all I can get are tables of labs.

It's only slightly better than a list. But again we can only get 8 patients to a page. So if we can get the formatting improved such that we can list 20+ on a page I can live with it.

I just want to get in touch with any institution that has taken it further than I have. (Although we are still working on it).

Attachments

• Fishbone Rounding Report.pdf
    45.7 KB · Views: 577
EPIC is custom-built on a common frame for each institution, so the intricacies of building a list and certain keystrokes are unlikely to be the same between hospitals. I've used EPIC at 3 or 4 places now, all have their own little quirks about them. So any advice we could give probably won't help. You look pretty close already, keep playing with the formatting or ask co-residents.

Very jealous about your ability to print out the labs in fishbone format, I have yet to work at a place with that functionality. Intern Admiral_Chz is jealous thinking back to the hours spent carefully writing them on the checkout sheets.

Reactions: 1 users
EPIC is custom-built on a common frame for each institution, so the intricacies of building a list and certain keystrokes are unlikely to be the same between hospitals. I've used EPIC at 3 or 4 places now, all have their own little quirks about them. So any advice we could give probably won't help. You look pretty close already, keep playing with the formatting or ask co-residents.

Very jealous about your ability to print out the labs in fishbone format, I have yet to work at a place with that functionality. Intern Admiral_Chz is jealous thinking back to the hours spent carefully writing them on the checkout sheets.

So you see the motivation! Huge time sink for residents to copy numbers every day. This is what computers were designed to do.

While you are correct that EPIC is a relatively open platform that is to some extent custom built to each hospital system, that is precisely why I am interested in other hospitals that have FISHBONE functionality. We have EPIC "builders" in our IT department (and part timers scattered throughout clinical departments") that can write code to adjust the rounding list functions. This is what we are doing right now. However, if there are other institutions that have already written, debugged, and launched similar code, we would like to know!

Reactions: 1 users
So you see the motivation! Huge time sink for residents to copy numbers every day. This is what computers were designed to do.

While you are correct that EPIC is a relatively open platform that is to some extent custom built to each hospital system, that is precisely why I am interested in other hospitals that have FISHBONE functionality. We have EPIC "builders" in our IT department (and part timers scattered throughout clinical departments") that can write code to adjust the rounding list functions. This is what we are doing right now. However, if there are other institutions that have already written, debugged, and launched similar code, we would like to know!

i think every sicu resident would. my program is also stuck copying labs out too.

I actually have the fishbones on cerner but not epic =( rounding report probably the only thing cerner does better

I actually have the fishbones on cerner but not epic =( rounding report probably the only thing cerner does better

Exactly right. Cerner generates great rounding reports with fishbones. Apparently EPIC has little interest in having anything physically printed from eRecord. We are making some progress but EPIC has not been very helpful.

LOL when I was a medical student on surgical subspecialties, our fellows made us use Microsoft Access and update a spreadsheet which would be auto populated fishbones/specialty specific stuff and we’d print that out everyday and use our emails to keep sending the files to each other. Is this what other Surgery peeps do? Our job as lowly medical students was to type every update as it came via the WhatsApp group to the Access file, and run it with the residents at the end of the day. It was a pretty cute system but idk if it was compliant with hospital regulations.