Entering the Match as a couple?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calrx

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone...

I was wondering if anyone has personal experience with this? My fiance and I are both going to be applying to residency programs soon and are considering entering the match as a couple. It's such a big decision and we keep going back and fourth. Both of us would obviously prefer to be in the same city. I've read all about it on ASHP's website but really want to speak with someone who has been through it. Are you at a disadvatage? Do programs look down upon this?

Any info would be much appreciated!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone...

I was wondering if anyone has personal experience with this? My fiance and I are both going to be applying to residency programs soon and are considering entering the match as a couple. It's such a big decision and we keep going back and fourth. Both of us would obviously prefer to be in the same city. I've read all about it on ASHP's website but really want to speak with someone who has been through it. Are you at a disadvatage? Do programs look down upon this?

Any info would be much appreciated!:)

Programs won't know you are doing a couples match. I've heard from people doing medical residency match that if you do a couples match, you have a greater chance of ending up unmatched because of the way it is set up.

Programs won't know you are doing a couples match. I've heard from people doing medical residency match that if you do a couples match, you have a greater chance of ending up unmatched because of the way it is set up.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of...

I know of two couples (one couple with whom I went to pharmacy school and half of another couple that is one of my co-residents) that did the couple's match successfully, so it can be done.