Endo 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Art85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I see no one has started this thread yet and it seems like it was both useful and interesting in previous years. Has anyone received any interview invitations?

Members don't see this ad.

How is the field of endo looking with implants and everything now popping up?

It seems like endo has a very uncertain, shaky future. If one opens up in a rural area, could they make a shellacking?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone
Does any one have any idea on how the endo program in Puerto rico ( lmc)
Is ?

Nothing yet :(
I'm surprised because last year people were posting interview dates by mid-July. Either no one is responding to this thread or schools are lagging in reviewing applications?

Nothing yet :(
I'm surprised because last year people were posting interview dates by mid-July. Either no one is responding to this thread or schools are lagging in reviewing applications?

i interviewed from late july to mid august last year. some invites were simply a phone call asking if i could show up the following week.

our program is interviewing on dates during the first two weeks of august.

keep your heads up. feel free to pm with any questions.

Thanks for the response. What program are you in?

Interview on 1st August at Tufts for Endo 2014. Was emailed on 1st July.:)Anyone else got interviews?

Anyone heard from UW? Deadline was July 15...

As far as I know UW is only having one interview date on August 2nd

Anyone hear from Albert Einstein? Last year people were posting that they heard from Albert Einstein by July 15th

Members don't see this ad :)
Louisville - Aug 9
MUSC - Aug 12
Both contacted via phone earlier this week

Very nice! Good luck Alcyone

A friend of mine was offered an interview at Tufts earlier this week

How do endodontists feel about implants?

Endo:
In the majority of the studies, a successful outcome is strictly defined by complete absence of radiolucency and absence of clinical signs and symptoms. After nonsurgical treatment, complete normalcy has been named "success." This definition is more strict than the definition for survival of implants.

A smaller radiolucency, in the presence of clinical normalcy, is usually considered as "incomplete healing."This combination is not considered as a successful outcome, but rather as an interim outcome requiring further observation.

In the case of necrosis + PA lesion: the success rate for RCT is around 94% if within 0-2 mm from apex...

RCT on a vital pulp has 95% success rate if gutta percha is within 0-2 mm from apex (Observation 4+ years).

The 5% failure can be retreated endodontically.
Compounded outcome of treatment + re-treatment has a success rate of 98%
If the retreatment fails you can do surgery
Thus, compounded outcomes of treatment + re-treatment + surgery would be 99% if within 0 - 2 mm from apex.

Holm-Pedersen, Lang, Müller. Clin. Oral Impl. Res 18 (suppl 3):15, 2007:
The survival of oral implants after 10 years varies between 82 and 94%.

Conclusion: Oral implants, when evaluated after 10 years of service do not surpass the longevity of even compromised but successfully treated natural teeth.

Additionally, animal studies show that researchers have been able to form roots and establish PDL between the newly formed roots and alveolar bone.

Limitation: availability of stem cells around the open apex of immature roots.

Enamel and dentin have also been produced under the skin of animals.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I personally think the statistics that we usually hear for implants and endo success rates are exaggerated. In my residency, the implants placed by oral surgery residents had no where near a 90% success rate. Most of them appear to have been placed correctly. Nowadays general dentists are placing implants so again, I doubt it's 90%+
I attended a CE course by Dr. Kim, the Endo program director at UPenn who gave these endo success rates:
Vital tooth - 93% success
Necrotic tooth - 74% success
Re-treat when root canal morphology is present - 84% success
Re-treat when root canal morphology is absent - 40% success
Surgery - 85%

Can't remember the source of these statistics, I could only write so fast!

Anyways, back to the main topic, what other programs have you all heard from? Please also post date notified, thanks and good luck to everyone

I personally think the statistics that we usually hear for implants and endo success rates are exaggerated. In my residency, the implants placed by oral surgery residents had no where near a 90% success rate. Most of them appear to have been placed correctly. Nowadays general dentists are placing implants so again, I doubt it's 90%+
I attended a CE course by Dr. Kim, the Endo program director at UPenn who gave these endo success rates:
Vital tooth - 93% success
Necrotic tooth - 74% success
Re-treat when root canal morphology is present - 84% success
Re-treat when root canal morphology is absent - 40% success
Surgery - 85%

Can't remember the source of these statistics, I could only write so fast!

Anyways, back to the main topic, what other programs have you all heard from? Please also post date notified, thanks and good luck to everyone

The stats depend on the quality of the root canal treatment (RCT).

Some studies report that the success rate for RCT is lowered by around 11% if gutta percha goes 1-2 mm beyond the apex of the root. That's why I reported the numbers for when gutta percha is 1-2 mm short of the radiographic apex.

Even if we consider the numbers you report:
93% success for vital tooth. The failed 7% has 84% success rate (according to your data)
Thus, Compounded RCT + retreatment = ~98% success rate
and you say 85% success rate for surgery
Thus compounded RCT + re-treatment + surgery = ~99% success rate

If an implant fails the quality of the bone in the implant site would not be very ideal.

You also mentioned "implants placed by oral surgery residents had no where near a 90% success rate."
Usually, they report "survival rate" for implants not "success rate"...and success rate of implants is lower than the survival rate.

That's true, I did not account for the 0-2mm from the apex, thanks for the clarification. You are also definitely correct about implant failures and quality of the bone, especially long-term when a patient has peri-implantitis which can sometimes be very destructive. My one question is: you mentioned the compounding of RCT + re-treatment + surgery = approx 99% success rate which sounds great statistically, but how realistic is it? I ask this because I only have limited experience as a dentist, but are many patients inclined to go through re-treatment and then surgery? And would a general dentist even refer if the re-treatment fails? Sorry I know we're getting off topic here

That's true, I did not account for the 0-2mm from the apex, thanks for the clarification. You are also definitely correct about implant failures and quality of the bone, especially long-term when a patient has peri-implantitis which can sometimes be very destructive. My one question is: you mentioned the compounding of RCT + re-treatment + surgery = approx 99% success rate which sounds great statistically, but how realistic is it? I ask this because I only have limited experience as a dentist, but are many patients inclined to go through re-treatment and then surgery? And would a general dentist even refer if the re-treatment fails? Sorry I know we're getting off topic here

What a general dentist needs to know (and most do not know) is the reasons for a re-treatment and surgery.

Assuming that the RCT was done correctly and it's within 0-2 mm from the apex:
Quite frequently, E. Faecalis has been found when re-treatment was necessary.
27% Moller, Odontol Tidskr 1966
32% Molander et al., IEJ 1998
38% Sundqvist et al., OOOOE 1998
56% Peciuliene et al., JOE 2000
30% Hancock et al.,OOOOE
37% Pinheiro et al.,OMI 2003

E. faecalis has the ability to withstand a pH of 11.1 compared to 9.5 for the viability of most other bacteria.

Addition of a proton pump inhibitor can produce dramatic reduction in E. faecalis survival in the presence of calcium hydroxide.

Prevalence of E. faecalis
PA lesion 32%
No lesion 5%

Luckily, E. faecalis by itself alone is not very virulent.
Monkey studies show when enterococci were inoculated into monkey teeth only 2 of the 9 cases developed radiographically-demonstrable peri-radicular lesions within 6 months.

Actinomyces israelii has repeatedly been isolated in the periapical lesion and usually does not respond to conventional endodontic treatment. Hence the need for surgery if the re-treatment fails.

In my opinion, a lot of times, it may be a good idea to culture the bacteria in root canals to see which species of bacteria are present. Unfortunately, for many reasons, this is not normally done.

Very informative, thanks for taking the time for that detailed response!

I got an email for an interview at the Long Beach VA 7/26 but I haven't heard back from anywhere else. Anyone heard anything about San Antonio? (deadline 7/15)

Same boat as you rbmcmaha. Received email invite for VA Long Beach on 7/26 but haven't heard back from any other programs.

E Faecalis not virulent? What are you reading....check medical literature as well.

I spoke with San Antonio yesterday, they have not started offering interviews yet. Also, I got an email from MUSC saying that my app considered complete. They said that they reviewed completed apps as they came in and offered interviews on a rolling basis.

As far as rct v. implants goes, as long as your tx planning decisions are patient centered then there isn't really much of a debate.

Don't charge a patient for a an ext, bone graft, implant, abutment, crown and make them wait for the implant to osseointegrate if the tooth has irreversible pulpitis, perio stable, with a good prognosis.

Don't do RCT if the tooth has 50% bone loss with a vertical root fracture. Do whats best for the pt. and everything else will take care of its self. It isn't like one is better than the other, there are indications and contraindications for both procedures. Do the least invasive, most cost effective, pragmatic thing for the patient that you can. I would like to think that most dentists would not tx plan a full coverage crown to treat a class 2 boards lesion but I'm sure there are some dentists out there that might.

Getting a rep in the community for being the dentist that does the right thing is way better for your bottom line than being the skeezy guy/gal extracting restorable teeth just because you can charge the pt. more and make your boat payment.

And..... now I'm off my soap box... back to interview conversations : )

got a phone call from USC.

Georgia Regents (MCG)...phone call yesterday

UW had interviews on July 24th and coming up on Aug 2nd. 20 interviewees total and supposed to have an answer by Aug 4th.
Got an invite for Tufts on July 2nd. Interview dates are in early Aug.
Florida called this week to schedule for mid-Aug (confirmed by a classmate as well).

Applied to 12 schools only on East/West Coasts and those are the only ones I've heard from

Last edited:
Which Florida invited you?

Florida (UF) by phone for 8/19
Indiana by email for 8/19
Baylor by phone for 8/19

I have to choose one of these three to attend. Any advice on which one I should pick?

Dont miss the interviews, talk to them and ask if you can change the date, getting an interview does not mean you would be accepted, so the right thing to do is to go to each one of them, then when accepted in more than one place you chose where to go.

Yeah I called all three program directors this morning. The program director at UF is really nice and said that I could come on the 20th. The Indiana program director was also very nice and helpful but said that they were only offering that one day. The Baylor program director was like a drill sargent, wasn't very helpful and pretty much said "thats our interveiw date, take it or leave it, just let me know within the hour so I can call someone else if i need to. So Im doing Indiana on the 19th and UF on the 20th.

UF Gainesville. Didn't apply to Nova so can't speak on them.

hey, 2 questions
1-when did get the email that your UF app was complete
2-when did you get the interview invite

hey, 2 questions
1-when did get the email that your UF app was complete
2-when did you get the interview invite

Got an email saying my app was INCOMPLETE (transcript) on the 31st but then an email saying my app was complete on August 1st after emailing a copy and rushing a copy. Got a call later that night.

What is it with the 19 th ??? I got couple of interviews on the 19th too??

I have received interviews from a few of the schools mentioned. San Antonio provided me with the dates of August 23rd and August 26th to interview