Emt in NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jli

One Day...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am very interested into becoming an EMT. Does anyone know where I could get trained to become an EMT in New york for a limited amount of money or free if possible? I found plenty of places that provided training but the cost of them are extremely expensive, for me that is. Is there a way that I could be trained for free or at least under $700? Also, if I do get trained and become EMT certified, would the people that train me provide me with a job? and How long does EMT classes usually take? I am also a student, so my schedule isn't that great, it would be great if any places offer training at night or weekends.
If there isnt any classes under $700, that would be fine. Does anyone know what places to get trained at would be the best.
I could go to any borough except long island, queens and Bronx. Prefer Brooklyn though.
Also, i want to work for the FDNY, if anyone knows how.
Another question, How much doe EMT get paid and how long does it take to become a paramedic?
Any information would be great.
Thanks, Jli

Members don't see this ad.

It usually takes 6 months to train, then become certified (if you pass the exam).

I don't live in NY, but I would look around for a community college (they tend to be cheapest- mine costs about 1g). It use to be (and it still may be) that some people could just be trained on duty, but now most hospitals are looking for a certificate.

Now, to become a paramedic, you have to take an advancement course after you take the basics, I believe.

Probably if you signed on with a private ambulance or fire department they might pay for the course. It typically runs about a grand. I got through for free (Just had to pay the lab fee), but I took my basic medic class in high school. Some company was sponsoring HS seniors to take the class at a local community college, so I took advantage of the opportunity, since the only other medical class at my high school that I could take was CNA certification, and that was definitely not for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't live in NY, but I would look around for a community college (they tend to be cheapest- mine costs about 1g). .

ouch! 1 grand for EMT certification?

The price of education is F-'ing outrageous. I got mine at a CA community college back in 2005 for about $400.

crazy times.

If you are looking for low cost EMT training and experience, you could cross the river into NJ and volunteer in one of the busier urban services (Ironbound Ambulance in the East Ward of Newark and Hoboken are two all volunteer agencies that come to mind). As of right now, the state EMT training fund supplements the entire cost of EMT training (~$650). There are rumors that the training fund is going away though so act fast. I was able to gain reciproscity in NY with my NJ card relatively easily. Also, from my limited knowledge of FDNY EMS, they put you through their own academy.