EMT course LA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snake Doctor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken the EMT course at UCLA? It cost $795, but I really want to do it and get started on it... but I just signed up for Advanced CPR for Professional Rescuer at the Red Cross during winter break. How about the EMT-Prep course?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone taken the EMT course at UCLA? It cost $795, but I really want to do it and get started on it... but I just signed up for Advanced CPR for Professional Rescuer at the Red Cross during winter break. How about the EMT-Prep course?

Thanks!

$800 for an EMT course is pretty damn pricy. Unless there's a guaranteed job offer to go with it, I wouldn't recommend sinking that kind of money into something that may or may not get you a job, and considering the average EMT pay starting out in LA is like $8.50 an hour, um yeah don't do it.

Also, I've heard of some courses not accepting the CPR for Professional Rescuer cert from Red Cross...a more standard CPR cert that's accepted by everyone is the Healthcare Provider CPR card from the AHA.

oOo thanks for the heads up!

The course at UCLA's Center for Prehospital Care lists both Red Cross and AHA (as you mentioned above) as the options. The reason why I'm doing it at UCLA is because it's convenient and winter quarter is the only time I can squeeze it in (O-chem in Spring quarter, so I prefer not to worry about the EMT course) and I would very much like to put the EMT skills from the course in use. Plus my car is back home since it is extremely difficult to get a parking spot at UCLA (I'm living on campus this year).

Members don't see this ad :)
You will save money by doing EMT at a community college, but if that's not an option and you can afford UCLA then I wouldn't think twice about it. They actually have a great reputation, to the point where people who trained there have a bizarre arrogance. Contrary to what they will tell you, there are other good programs, and very little that you learn in the class has anything to do with actual EMT work. Be humble and open minded when you start working in the field, no matter where you get your cert. Good luck!

Oh and I would not take any sort of prep course, as I think it's just a scam to make more money. A drugged monkey could get through your typical EMT class without much trouble.

You will save money by doing EMT at a community college, but if that's not an option and you can afford UCLA then I wouldn't think twice about it. They actually have a great reputation, to the point where people who trained there have a bizarre arrogance. Contrary to what they will tell you, there are other good programs, and very little that you learn in the class has anything to do with actual EMT work. Be humble and open minded when you start working in the field, no matter where you get your cert. Good luck!

Oh and I would not take any sort of prep course, as I think it's just a scam to make more money. A drugged monkey could get through your typical EMT class without much trouble.

Will do on staying humble part... I have a great dislike for arrogant individuals anyway:) Thanks for the good wishes!

Is juggling EMT and 18 quarter units + EMT course on the weekend possible? Or would it be more prudent to drop a course and focus on just those three courses + EMT? I hear that EMT. although it may be easy, should be counted as a 4 unit course (?)

I have heard only great things about the UCLA EMT course. I know their staff to be top notch. They have 3-week full-time courses...so it's more expensive...

The Paramedic Prep course (after you're an EMT) was a GREAT course that I think every EMT should take. If only they taught all that stuff in EMT school....