EMT:B License Lapsing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harrothere

Pre-Med Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem:

I was originally certified as an EMT:B in Minnesota and nationally back in the summer of 2005. I practiced for a bit with a local ambulance crew, but I let my certification go on the way-side while I was a student. Now I would like to get recertified, but I have since moved to Massachusetts (whom I think recognizes NREMT reciprocity).

I am wondering if I can take a 24hr Refresher course here in MA to regain my license/certification and practice in MA. Has anyone encountered a problem like this or have any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

If your cert has been expired for more than 2-3 months you have to repeat the whole class over per the NREMT website..

You should probably just call the MA Office of Emergency Medical Services and find out what their state laws are about expired certs. I'm pretty sure that what MedicFL said is correct about you being screwed for NREMT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response guys. I can't find that info about 2-3 months on the NREMT website, so I will call them Monday to find out the details. But I did find this on "lapsed certification":

If your National EMS Certification lapsed as an EMT-Basic within a two year period or you are currently state licensed as an EMT-Basic, you can obtain National EMS Certification by completing a state-approved Refresher course and successfully completing the cognitive and psychomotor examinations. If your EMS certification expired more than two years ago, you must complete an entire state-approved EMT-Basic course, and complete the cognitive and psychomotor examinations.

I'm confused by what this is saying... But to me, it sounds like you can re-certify by taking a refresher/re-examinations within the first 2 years if your nremt has lapsed (or if you are only state licensed?). Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks for the response guys. I can't find that info about 2-3 months on the NREMT website, so I will call them Monday to find out the details. But I did find this on "lapsed certification":

If your National EMS Certification lapsed as an EMT-Basic within a two year period or you are currently state licensed as an EMT-Basic, you can obtain National EMS Certification by completing a state-approved Refresher course and successfully completing the cognitive and psychomotor examinations. If your EMS certification expired more than two years ago, you must complete an entire state-approved EMT-Basic course, and complete the cognitive and psychomotor examinations.

I'm confused by what this is saying... But to me, it sounds like you can re-certify by taking a refresher/re-examinations within the first 2 years if your nremt has lapsed (or if you are only state licensed?). Anyone have thoughts on this?

That is only if you have maintained a state certification. If both have expired you are SOL. And when I say maintained it must not have lasped during that time at all..

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem:

I was originally certified as an EMT:B in Minnesota and nationally back in the summer of 2005. I practiced for a bit with a local ambulance crew, but I let my certification go on the way-side while I was a student. Now I would like to get recertified, but I have since moved to Massachusetts (whom I think recognizes NREMT reciprocity).

I am wondering if I can take a 24hr Refresher course here in MA to regain my license/certification and practice in MA. Has anyone encountered a problem like this or have any ideas?

Sorry but you are screwed. MA not only doesn't recognize the national (best you get is opting out of the practical part of the exam if you were certified within a certain time period, I think 1yr) but OEMS is one of the most aggravating offices to deal with seconded only perhaps by the folks over at NREMT. In short if your cert lapsed you are, as I believe I previously mentioned, screwed.