EMT-B cert. with full course load

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ivory12

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Been there, done that. My EMT-B course was twice per week, like my college classes, and was the same length as the semester. Additionally there was one 8 hour class per month, where they did a lot of hands on stuff like extracation, which needs practice, but not a lot of studying outside of class. So, its quite manageable.

As has been stated many times on this board, if you have an IQ above 90, you will likely find EMT-B class absurdly easy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I did that as well. Took the EMT class at night (and a few Saturdays) while I worked on a full courseload during the day. I didn't have as many lab classes then, though, and I wasn't pushing hard for good grades and a med-school application. If you are, just remember to keep things in perspective and don't trade anything else out for the sake of the EMT class.

It is pretty easy though. If you're reasonably organized you should have no problem managing the load.

Passing EMT-B class and the state test (or NREMT exam) is very easy especially if you have college experience.

However, being a good EMT-B on a truck is a whole different beast. If you can't commit time to becoming a good EMT-B in the field, don't waste your money and don't waste your medic's time.

All the best,
DU

EMT stands for Empty Minded Twit

Much as I might agree with you, my self-respect requires I object here. The training is inadequate, most EMTs lack skills and all lack education, etc. However, that doesn't mean that all EMTs are "Empty Minded Twits". Of course, you're probably joking...

Much as I might agree with you, my self-respect requires I object here. The training is inadequate, most EMTs lack skills and all lack education, etc. However, that doesn't mean that all EMTs are "Empty Minded Twits". Of course, you're probably joking...

Most EMTs I know are a bit dodgy. It is hard to expect much after only 120-150 hours of training, so it shouldn't necessarily be taken as a slight against EMTs. I have met some good EMTs in the past, though. I did a call a few months back to the airport for a gentleman coming off of a flight with a possible CVA. The airport has EMT crews that hand off to us, and the patient told me "THEY already asked me that" for almost every question I asked him on the way to the hospital. :)

Was planning on taking the EMT-B course at a community college this spring in addition to 15 credits (Chem II, Physiology, Physics I, seminar). I've been told that the EMT course is much less time-intensive than the 9 credits would suggest and that many have done it in the evening while taking a full load.
Just curious if anyone here had any experiences or recommendations they'd be willing to share.
Thanks.

I'm doing paramedic school while doing a full course load at UC Davis. Trust me, it's quite doable and EMT on top of a full course load at a community college should be far easier than that.

EMT-B is absolutely doable with a moderate course load. Paramedic, depends on the program you're in and the demands of the program.