EMT as a supporting Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You wont get hired by the local FD. You must be fire certified and they work a set 24 hours on 48 hours off. Alachua county is who provides the ambulances but I don't know if you must be cross certified or not. You can check this website out http://www.ncemsf.org/resources/links/showlinks.ems?category=999 I dunno if UF's team is still going or not up there. I dont know if there are any private ambulance services up in Gainsville I haven't been there in 4 years, but if there are thats the best chance you have at getting hired, but the pay for an EMT is probally gonna start around 9 bucks an hour. As for Shands being a level 1 trauma center I highly doupt they will hire a no experience EMT to work there, most hospitals of that type require at least a year of experience before they will hire you..

You could possibly get a job as a Tech up on the wards, but that job sucks (though the pay wasn't bad).

EMT-B during undergrad is not stressful at all. The class itself is simple, and there are few requirements outside of the class (few clinicals/field experiences).

Members don't see this ad :)
I just looked it up and it seems like there are no private ambulance services in gainesville. Just the Alachua County Ambulances. As for the tech job, what kind of work will I be doing in the ward and how much is a "not bad" pay? lol Also why does the tech job sucks?

Thanks

Vitals, cleaning patients up, fetching things for them, etc, etc..

I just looked it up and it seems like there are no private ambulance services in gainesville. Just the Alachua County Ambulances. As for the tech job, what kind of work will I be doing in the ward and how much is a "not bad" pay? lol Also why does the tech job sucks?

Thanks

Most of the floors will make you get your CNA certification as well to work on them. The ER is usually the exception, however pay can be good if you work night shift I know the techs where I work start around 10 an hours plus make a few dollars for working the over night, most seem to average around 13-14.

It's not stressful. I did it in college. Do it and don't look back.

My general advice for college is to start slow, and add activities, jobs etc as you go and still have time. It is too easy to sign up for extra classes or jobs the first few weeks when the workload is light, then you lose your mind come mid terms. Much easier to take on more commitments than to bail on ones your already have.

So I'd say look around for an EMT class, maybe do that class while you settle in to college and then start looking for jobs if your schedule can handle it. Or even wait till second semester to take the EMT.

Well I definetly like the pay for a tech but I don't think I will be doing overnight since I would have classes in the morning. Either way $10/hour seems a lot better then what I am making right now. It seems like I would be ok with most of the Tech stuff except the cleaning up after the patients, does that include the gross stuff? lol. Also how long does CNA take and will I be held back when looking for a job because I don't have that?

So now I know its not stressful to do EMT-B and undergrad at the same time, but let me ask you guys this: can I do EMT, undergrad and keep a part-time job(20 hours) at the same time? or is that too much for a freshman

Probably too much for a freshman, as it may take a bit to figure out how to properly manage your time. It can definitely be done, though, once you get your bearings in your new environment.

Yes, working as a tech means cleaning up the gross stuff. I worked as a tech on a med/surg floor for a bit during undergrad, and routinely had 25-30+ patients per night on which I had to take vitals, turn (q2hrs), change/wipe up after, check I&Os, assist with moving, etc. Plus, I usually ended up placing all of the foleys on the male patients (as I was the only male on the floor), and assisted the nurses with whatever other tasks they required. Some hospitals will insist that you get your CNA cert, others do not. The hospital where I worked actually allowed Techs (who were all EMT-Bs) to do more than CNAs, like check glucose, insert foleys, change dressings, and clear the IV pumps. I made $10.50/hr, plus shift differential for usually working nights and weekends.

Does the first responder count towards the 120 hours of EMT class? Otherwise I'd try to find somewhere that you can take EMT without going through all the FR stuff you'll just relearn in EMT.

A couple semesters back I somehow was able to work full time (39 hr/week) as an EMT for a police dept that hired EMTs for a 0530-1830 Shift, while attending the fire academy for firefighter II training at nights, and taking 18 credits (classes two days a week from 0830-2100) as a junior biomedical engineering major and somehow managing to pull a 3.83 GPA. So where there is a will there is a way but looking back on it, I don't know how I didn't go crazy. I think the key to success was that I studied alot at work.