EMS tatoos!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cooperemtb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few friends in EMS who have some cool tatoos involving the Star of life, medic #, staff of life and other stuff. Next month when I get certified, this is one of the first things id like to do. I was thinking just the basic star of life. Anyone have experiences or other ideas? Just wanted to do something on upper arm or shoulder.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I wasn't going to say it, but since others have already hinted at it, screwit...do you really want a memento of when you were paid what was basically minimum wage to save people's lives?

I sure as hell don't...your national registry EMT patch should be enough of a memento for that. Not like most ambulance companies let you wear it on your uniform anyway since most states and counties laugh at national registry (they have their own protocols, rules, and patches).

lol yea i didn't really think about how i probably wont be in EMS for life and the guys i met, who had tats were career medics and EMT-B's. I dunno though, I still think it would be cool :p

Ive gotten 2 tattoos in my life, and im 20 years old. I plan to get more down the road. Just make sure that they are important to you. I was told by a lot of people that I should wait 6 months before I get it, and if I still want the tat then I should go for it.I'd recommend the same to you. Make sure your tatoo has meaning, isnt highly visible (forearm,hand,calf,neck), unless you plan to do the same thing for a long time. Obviously it makes getting a job harder. Dont listen to what anyone says, its what you think about it that matters. I asked the same questions when I wanted to get my first one, and all I got was dripping sarcasm. If you find your happy as an EMT, go for it. I dont think it matters whether its a career or not, i'd be willing to bet most EMTs/ex emt's would say that it was an important/memorable part of their life.

Just make sure you get someone to proofread it first. And get the tattoo that comes with the light package for your car.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CLUYwCB7PU[/youtube]

I have a few friends in EMS who have some cool tatoos involving the Star of life, medic #, staff of life and other stuff. Next month when I get certified, this is one of the first things id like to do. I was thinking just the basic star of life. Anyone have experiences or other ideas? Just wanted to do something on upper arm or shoulder.

Why don't you just get a sticker and put it on your laptop or car or something? It peels off, you know.

I actually know someone who got a star of life inside of their lip - they know its there, but it's not public knowledge.

I had a partner once who got a blue star of life tattoo on the inside of his forearm, about 3 inches tall. This further reinforced his status as the laughingstock of the fire department for which we transported. He was fired a little while later after I wrote him up for having a temper tantrum about having to do an IFT. (I was already the last driver in our company who was willing to work with the guy.)

Is that what you want to be like? Don't get EMS tattoos. In fact, don't get any tattoo related to your job unless you're in the military.

I was thinking the only big con for getting a tat was i wouldn't be able to donate blood for a year. :p Thanks for the input guys. I didn't expect that kinda response, but i guess i'm glad i did.

haha... this is quite the thread. I love the video of the truck! I absolutely love the 25 year old rusted out trucks with the 350 lb fire fighter in the front seat with the $2000 light bar and $600 radio in it... yeah, i'm sure he's going to be running into a structure fire to help fight it... :) (sorry, kinda hit a sore spot)... i'm done now.

I worked with a medic who had a tat that said "life saver, heart breaker," and the star of life. She said she got it after her first save, and first pediatric code. I thought it was a little over the top. I love EMS and emergency medicine, and I spend a lot of time on it. But there is something to be said for being able to separate something that is your job from what defines you. You need to be able to come home at the end of the day and leave work at work. Can you do that as well if you are constantly reminded of being an EMT when you look at your arm? Is this something that will still define you in 20 years when you still have your tat?

I was actually thinking about tats awhile ago, and I thought it was interesting that in certain groups like the military many people get tats even though they might only serve 4 or 5 years. In contrast many docs and career medics who have given 20 years to medicine don't have medical tattoos. I thought that was interesting.

Doctors are usually more socially integrated and image oriented than people in the military, as generalization. Being in the military 4 or 5 years is significant if you were deployed. It's all about brotherhood and intensity, so I think it's more understandable. Also, military people are probably more of the thrill-seeker personality and uninhibited.

CAREER EMT-B . . .. !?!?!

wasn't saying being in the military for 4 years isn't significant. Just remarking that if that was significant enough to get tatted you'd think more docs and such would be inked as well.

haha... this is quite the thread. I love the video of the truck! I absolutely love the 25 year old rusted out trucks with the 350 lb fire fighter in the front seat with the $2000 light bar and $600 radio in it... yeah, i'm sure he's going to be running into a structure fire to help fight it... :) (sorry, kinda hit a sore spot)... i'm done now.

And don't forget the tailgate that is held up by dozens of bumper stickers and Calvin peeing on an ambulance!

So, as a somewhat heavily tattooed person, I can't say too much about tattoos, but EMS related? Please. I'm an EMT at a trauma center, and one of the other (bottom of the ladder) techs (hospital based where he can't do much more than EKGs and computer work) is all "I'm getting the star of life on my back, with V-tach going into normal sinus!" and I tried to not laugh/puke. Some people can only reach so far.

To clarify, my tattoos are tasteful and completely out of view unless I am nekkid.