EMS or not? I need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am a second year pre-med undergrad at a university. This past summer I got my EMT certification so that I could get some experience before applying to medical school. I ended up liking EMS way more than I thought I would.

I am not very good at science and have been struggling with B's and C's in the medical school pre-req courses. It is very discouraging to me. I do want to go to medical school eventually, but would it hurt my chances if I just became a paramedic and then did my science courses and took the MCAT later in life? (I heard that paramedics get burned out after about 5 years so if I WAS burned out it would be very motivating to return back to school... right?)

Members don't see this ad.

Becomming a paramedic will not hurt your chances of getting into med school but if your goal is med school then it would probably be a delay and a very long and indirect route to your goal.

If you want to do med school then I suggest redoubling your efforts at bringing up your grades and studying for the MCAT.

If you really like EMS and want to do EMS as a career then go for it. It's a great field.

My feelings about using EMS as a stepping stone to med school are well known on this board (I don't think it's the way to go). That said here's something to loose a little sleep over: If you do decide to go the EMS route and you think you might try to go to med school some years down the road you may want to limit the number of medical prereq classes you take now if you're getting Bs and Cs. You'll have to retake those classes down the road and any poor grades you record now will still be there. Some people find that later in life they are better students and get better grades. You might do better to get your degree (I definitely recommend completing a degree) without those classes and the MCAT and leave those for later.

Well, let me offer you my story, and it may help you make a decision. I'll say first that I think you should go ahead and complete a bachelor's degree of some type now before diving off into the world of EMS.

In Jan. 2001, I took a night class and became an EMT. I did it because I like being prepared for things and thought it was more suitable for that purpose than first aid (and it is), and because "medical stuff" was (is) an interest of mind so I assumed that learning anything there amidst the clinical exposure would give me a leg up in the premed process.

Things involving math weren't my strong suit then. I made straight A's through about sixth grade when my math skills started to wane. They continued to plummet. That said, I graduated high school, having never taken a course in chemistry or physics because I didn't want to do the math. Everything else academically was easy, and for the most part still is. At any rate, I found myself taking chemistry courses in college, and they were the only classes I had on Mon, Wed, and Fri. Because I'd never had that exposure before it was challenging, and it was also boring to me because of both the math and the idea that I could've been out doing other things that I perceived as more pleasurable. After that I postponed my "premed-ness" until I was ready to either retake them and make A's or relearn it on my own and move on to organic chemistry as well as physics.

A year passed, I became affiliated with a Volunteer Fire Department which I maintained for six years until moving, and I started doing first responder-type activities, I got the EMT bug and sat through paramedic school at night while taking all of my typical college classes during the day. I was enrolled at two colleges without one knowing of the other, and I took 30-36 credits each sememster for three semesters. I got my B.S., and my paramedic certification in Dec. 2003 having graduated college early. However, I never did talk myself into focusing and taking o-chem and phys.

Six years have now passed, and I've learned a few things including the fact that yes it's easy to get burned out as a paramedic particularly if you throw that on top of an already stressful career (biology teacher), you regret not doing things more than you regret what you've done, and I can do whatever I decide to.

I eventually quit both teaching and paramedicine and became a cop which I like (but dont love), yet I really regret not having gone to those chemistry classes six years ago. I've regretted my path almost daily.

Last edited:
Well, let me offer you my story, and it may help you make a decision. I'll say first that I think you should go ahead and complete a bachelor's degree of some type now before diving off into the world of EMS.

In Jan. 2001, I took a night class and became an EMT. I did it because I like being prepared for things and thought it was more suitable for that purpose than first aid (and it is), and because "medical stuff" was (is) an interest of mind so I assumed that learning anything there amidst the clinical exposure would give me a leg up in the premed process.

Things involving math weren't my strong suit then. I made straight A's through about sixth grade when my math skills started to wane. They continued to plummet. That said, I graduated high school, having never taken a course in chemistry or physics because I didn't want to do the math. Everything else academically was easy, and for the most part still is. At any rate, I found myself taking chemistry courses in college, and they were the only classes I had on Mon, Wed, and Fri. Because I'd never had that exposure before it was challenging, and it was also boring to me because of both the math and the idea that I could've been out doing other things that I perceived as more pleasurable. After that I postponed my "premed-ness" until I was ready to either retake them and make A's or relearn it on my own and move on to organic chemistry as well as physics.

A year passed, I became affiliated with a Volunteer Fire Department which I maintained for six years until moving, and I started doing first responder-type activities, I got the EMT bug and sat through paramedic school at night while taking all of my typical college classes during the day. I was enrolled at two colleges without one knowing of the other, and I took 30-36 credits each sememster for three semesters. I got my B.S., and my paramedic certification in Dec. 2003 having graduated college early. However, I never did talk myself into focusing and taking o-chem and phys.

Six years have now passed, and I've learned a few things including the fact that yes it's easy to get burned out as a paramedic particularly if you throw that on top of an already stressful career (biology teacher), you regret not doing things more than you regret what you've done, and I can do whatever I decide to.

I eventually quit both teaching and paramedicine and became a cop which I like (but dont love), yet I really regret not having gone to those chemistry classes six years ago. I've regretted my path almost daily.

I think this is sound advice and from this statement sounds like he has been around the block. I took the basic night classes while taking bio and gen chem. I love working on a bls unit now but I really don't think I could do it the rest of my life as a basic or medic. All of this being said, in my organic lab there are two guys who were medics for about 7 years each and they said taking some time off showed them how serious and dedicated they needed to be in class. I don't now if this helped but I hope you figure out what is right for you.