EMS Instructors Certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMTMiami

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am wondering if you guys can point me into the right direction. I am getting my medics right now and i am thinking about being a instructor. I think it would be cool to teach people to become fellow "life savers".

My question is this....How do i go about doing it and how much do they get paid hourly? I know its not in the six figure range :laugh:.

Thanks a lot,

EMTMiami

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,

I am wondering if you guys can point me into the right direction. I am getting my medics right now and i am thinking about being a instructor. I think it would be cool to teach people to become fellow "life savers".

My question is this....How do i go about doing it and how much do they get paid hourly? I know its not in the six figure range :laugh:.

Thanks a lot,

EMTMiami

First off most courses require experience (minimum 5 years in Ohio as a Medic on a 911 service).

Most states (please someone correct me if I am way off base, this is last I looked into the topic which admittedly was a while ago) you have to get a primary instructors certification, which should allow you to teach CME's and initial certification courses. If you want to teach in a college setting you'll likely have to have some sort of degree (at least the lectures had to, lab instructors got away with just a PI cert.). In terms of pay I haven't the slightest. I have PI cert, but all the teaching I did was interdepartmental or I simply volunteered my time.

Members don't see this ad :)
In FL there is no "Certification" to teach EMS. However I will say this if you are just now getting your medic no one will hire you to teach without a good 3-5 years experience first. As it should be! The community colleges do require a AS degree in EMS. I have taught at two different community colleges and one technical school. I would never teach at another technical school again they are profit driven and often times will do things to cut corners. Now if you are talking about just getting a CPR or first inst card then anyone can get those. Go to the AHA website and find out how...

Hey Guys,

I am wondering if you guys can point me into the right direction.

My question is this....How do i go about doing it...

EMTMiami

That doesn't really help the OP. Anyone can join that organization, and the only class they offer is a intro, and doesn't lead to a PI cert.

Since states vary so widely in their EMS laws and certifications/licenses, maybe a national introduction class would be a good place to start.

Although if the OP wants to know the specific requirements of, oh say, Illinois. Here they are . Although with a name like EMTMaimi I don't think I'm helping again :rolleyes:

A common starting point is to contact your local EMS education program about job opportunities as a "skills instructor". Depending on the area and program, you may not need a formal "instructor certification". Teaching skills would get your foot in the door, help you develop teaching and presentation skills, and learn from the full-time lecturers.

I taught at a few medic programs part time while I was in pa school. they wanted me to be an instructor for cpr, acls, and phtls and have 5 yrs as a working medic.