EMS in Pennsylvania?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aaj117

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone on here rides in Pennsylvania. I am from New York and recently moved to philadelphia. I am looking to volunteer again, if there are volunteer agencies around here; i'm sure there aren't any within the city, but maybe in the surrounding suburbs. The Pennsylvania EMS website is really difficult to actually find any information on, and i was wondering what it's like in this state, how to go about finding an agency, and i have some friends who were interested in starting to ride and taking an EMT-B course, but we can't find any information on these either. Anyone who could point me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

The PA Dept. of Health website really sucks so I would just bypass it except to read over the statewide protocols.

Anywho, as far as being involved in EMS in PA it is not too shabby...based on your company. I work for the largest private ambulance service in PA and one of the largest in the country. We take 70K calls a year. Our scope is limited though due to a very conservative medical director.

you can't swing a dead cat in philadelphia without hitting ten volunteer emt's. every little township has it's own dept and deleware county has more ems volunteers than any other county in the united states. it used to be that 1 could become an emt there at 16, don't know if that has changed. lots of "blue lights" and ricky rescue types there. if you are serious about ems look for a paid gig.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently moved from NY to PA to attend LECOM and was able to obtain reciprocity with no problems at all. I just emailed the PA Dept. of Health at [email protected] and they sent me out a reciprocity packet. All you have to do is fill out the forms and copy your CPR and EMT cards and your driver's license and send it to the closest regional office and you are set. I didn't even need to take any tests!! :)