EMS in central mass

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctordeet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a first-hand perspective on the EMS scene in central MA around Worcester? I'm thinking of taking the basic training but it would only make sense for me to do it if I would be able to find part-time EMS work as I already have a full time job.

So... Worcester area EMS: 1) paid positions or volunteer? and 2) is it "easy" to find part-time work?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have first-hand experience but I know that Worcester itself is definitely paid. I believe they have AMR there.

It is probably a good rule of thumb that private services will always be looking for part-time EMTs to fill their rosters. If it is a private service that has the PSA in your area, chances are that you'll have no trouble at all finding a job, even with zero experience. Bad thing for EMS as a profession, good thing for you.

I'm guessing that it's not going to be "easy" to find part-time work unless you're not too picky about being on a transport service like AMR versus 911. Since it sounds like you haven't taken the EMT course yet (what I think you're referring to when saying "basic training"), transport services usually consist of simply transporting a patient from one facility to another (typically these are routine, sometimes 'boring' calls) where as 911 is responding to 911 calls (much more interesting, variety of trauma/medical pts).

If money is your priority, then getting hired by a transport company like AMR won't be a big problem. If money isn't really a priority, since you say you already have a full-time job, I'd highly recommend being a volunteer at a town's 911 ambulance squad. The calls will be so much more interesting and will allow you do use much of your knowledge and hands-on practical skills. Just so you know, I'm biased as I am a volunteer EMT-B on my town's ambulance squad.

Being an EMT around Worcester is great because you have UMASS Memorial (a level 1 trauma center) nearby. We transported a patient there a few months back. The ED is very crowded.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a clarification for some who may not know: private companies like AMR are not necessarily "transport only" services. While that may be true in areas where a fire department, volunteer, or 3rd service has the contract for 911 calls, there are other areas where private companies own the PSA ("primary service agreement" AKA answer 911s).

I work for AMR at a division that has the PSA for a large urban area and we do "emergency" work every day. I'm pretty sure (although not certain) that Worcester is like this as well.

Just a clarification for some who may not know: private companies like AMR are not necessarily "transport only" services. While that may be true in areas where a fire department, volunteer, or 3rd service has the contract for 911 calls, there are other areas where private companies own the PSA ("primary service agreement" AKA answer 911s).

I work for AMR at a division that has the PSA for a large urban area and we do "emergency" work every day. I'm pretty sure (although not certain) that Worcester is like this as well.

That's really cool. Did you have previous experience as an EMT before AMR hired you? I'd imagine it would probably be more difficult to get a job in AMR doing 911 calls due to a PSA than simply doing transports for AMR?

My town's ambulance squad is BLS so we do use AMR for ALS :thumbup: