EMP: $75/every other patient?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mzarrowsmith

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just read this article in the NYT about some physicians no longer accepting insurance. Good article, even if the problem is probably overstated by mostly interviewing neurotic rich women in Manhattan.

Anyway, an ER doc posted the following comment on the story. If I understand what he is saying, he profits $75 per patient, but only actually gets paid for half of them. So if you figure ~2.5 patients per hour x 10 hour shifts x 16 shifts a month x 12 months, then divide that by two, this guy is making roughly 180k before taxes?

What am I missing... or is this true?
----------------------------------------------------------
anerdoc, NM

I am an emergency physician. I have $500,000 in combined undergraduate and medical school debt. I make $75 per patient. You do the math.

In addition, I provide $150,000 dollars of uncompensated care per year. I see every other patient for free. I get no tax break for this, but the hospital does. I am forced to see every patient that walks through the door, regardless of whether they can pay, because the government says I have to. I recieve no compensation for fullfilling this mandate. And then, and this is the great part, I am liable if I make an honest mistake while caring for these patients for free - I could lose everything I own including my house if I make a mistake.

I am your national health care. Am I being overpaid?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: