75 Stitches

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegenius

Senior Wharf Rat
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

The bandage and wound do not appear consistent with needing 75 stitches. I have never put in even close to 75 stitches on one patient.

Comments, please.

Members don't see this ad.

The bandage and wound do not appear consistent with needing 75 stitches. I have never put in even close to 75 stitches on one patient.

Comments, please.
Maybe he was stitched up by a midlevel who wanted to run out the clock on their shift

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Depending on what it looked like, I would baseball stitch that in 2 minutes and get him back out onto the ice. Then when the game is over a few hours later...revise it

Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on what it looked like, I would baseball stitch that in 2 minutes and get him back out onto the ice. Then when the game is over a few hours later...revise it
Well that would be a great idea!

As to the actual question - maybe it was a multilayered closure? But even then...75 is a lot to fit into a face.

Comments, please.
There's a bandage on the forehead which is covering up some of the lac, but that said, unless it runs all the way through his scalp I have no idea why this would be a 75 suture job unless they had plastics throwing q1mm subcuticular sutures or something.

No way. The somewhat standard "1 stitch every cm" would be 30 inches. Really? Almost 3 feet of lac repair? Nah.

Probably benches 75 RFu's as well.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
When I was a 4th year med student dicking around at the very end, I did a facial plastics rotation with an ENT in my hometown who did both cosmetics and free flaps and all sorts of random stuff - think skin cancer after a wide MOHS resection. Also facelifts. He'd easily put 75 in... but they were teeny-tiny 7-0 fast-absorbing gut, 2-3mm apart, in a running locking pattern, meant to be taken out 2 days later. But that would be for a huge facelift kind of thing. And while he was super fast, they were delicate as anything. Certainly NOT what you'd slap in (pun intended) in this situation.

He maybe maybe could have gotten 75 in, but the guy would have had to have filleted his whole forehead open... like a 10 INCH wound. Because a forehead isn't really a multilayer closure and we all know that. Now, if it took part of his ear off, that's a different story. But it certainly doesn't look like it from the bandage.

I've used 2 entire staple guns on a patient before, but that was a leg. And it WAS over 2 feet of laceration.

Reactions: 1 user
When I was a 4th year med student dicking around at the very end, I did a facial plastics rotation with an ENT in my hometown who did both cosmetics and free flaps and all sorts of random stuff - think skin cancer after a wide MOHS resection. Also facelifts. He'd easily put 75 in... but they were teeny-tiny 7-0 fast-absorbing gut, 2-3mm apart, in a running locking pattern, meant to be taken out 2 days later. But that would be for a huge facelift kind of thing. And while he was super fast, they were delicate as anything. Certainly NOT what you'd slap in (pun intended) in this situation.

He maybe maybe could have gotten 75 in, but the guy would have had to have filleted his whole forehead open... like a 10 INCH wound. Because a forehead isn't really a multilayer closure and we all know that. Now, if it took part of his ear off, that's a different story. But it certainly doesn't look like it from the bandage.

I've used 2 entire staple guns on a patient before, but that was a leg. And it WAS over 2 feet of laceration.

You "emptied the magazine" on a staple gun. Lol.
Staplegun mag-dump.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users