Emergency Room Scribe -What do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MexicanDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this at a different website and thought I would do it here to get some different responses.
What do you guys think is the benefits of being an ER Scribe when it comes to applying to PA school?

Do you guys consider this a benefit or simply a waste of time?

Obviously, GPA, GREs, Volunteering, Shadowing, Other type of Health Care exposure are vital when it comes to applying.

I saw this while reading an article which took me to different pages on the topic.

http://erscribe.files.wordpress.com/...directors1.pdf

Most ER Scribe Programs are structured under the same principle, so this letter description would apply to most ER Scribe Programs.

Whats your input?

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like you are watching not actually doing anything. So, imo, it is not a good experience for PA school. Get a ER tech or EMT job.

Seems like you are watching not actually doing anything. So, imo, it is not a good experience for PA school. Get a ER tech or EMT job.

Really, really wrong!

I have scribes that work for me in the ED, and they are all premed students at the local 4 year university. They see every aspect of medicine because the ED is the best place on earth to be exposed to just about every medical condition around. They get to see H&P's and we teach them almost like they are med students. The letters we write them make them so far ahead of the pack in terms of applying that it's a no brainer.

Tarenthyl: do you really expect you are going to get to do any serious procedures or something as a premed observer?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I posted this at a different website and thought I would do it here to get some different responses.
What do you guys think is the benefits of being an ER Scribe when it comes to applying to PA school?

Obviously, GPA, GREs, Volunteering, Shadowing, Other type of Health Care exposure are vital when it comes to applying.

I saw this while reading an article which took me to different pages on the topic.

Most ER Scribe Programs are structured under the same principle, so this letter description would apply to most ER Scribe Programs.

Whats your input?

Yup, the benefits are obvious. Still, it's different than hands-on care, so I'd recommend still trying for a paid position in addition (EMT, CNA, etc). There's a big difference in watching others work with a human body (in various conditions) versus working with one yourself. In the end, as much knowledge and experience as you can gather will only help you. That includes scribe, volunteering in the ER and/or hospice, etc ... always keep your eyes and ears open, every day can be a learning opportunity no matter your position.

Also to remember is that some PA programs specifically state that they do not accept scribing as clinical experience. Be sure and check with the programs you're interested in, we can give our opinions but we're not on their admissions committees.

Last edited:
Really, really wrong!

I have scribes that work for me in the ED, and they are all premed students at the local 4 year university. They see every aspect of medicine because the ED is the best place on earth to be exposed to just about every medical condition around. They get to see H&P's and we teach them almost like they are med students. The letters we write them make them so far ahead of the pack in terms of applying that it's a no brainer.

Tarenthyl: do you really expect you are going to get to do any serious procedures or something as a premed observer?

Really? How was I wrong? See the bolded. How are they DOING anything? I worked as an ER tech. Far better experience and not that difficult a job to get.

Really? How was I wrong? See the bolded. How are they DOING anything? I worked as an ER tech. Far better experience and not that difficult a job to get.

No way! ER techs don't stay in the room for the entire patient encounter. When you scribe you get access to the provider's thought processes and if you are lucky, they will often think out loud because you are in there. As an ED tech, you are just coming and going based on the need to help do something. I mean if you want to learn medicine, then scribe. If you want to wipe butts and take blood pressures, maybe do a few IV's, then sure, be a CNA or tech. You will have plenty of time in your life to do those things, but few if any people get access to the real thought process behind patient care as as scribe does. And if they don't count scribing as healthcare experience, they are doing themselves and you a disservice.

Reactions: 1 user
Heh. I'm astounded you really think being a scribe is better experience than being an ER tech. Like ER techs seriously just walk in, wipe some ass, and then leave. You don't think physicians discuss things with ER techs? We just wipe ass and leave? Really? Good lord.

It is obviously pointless to debate the issue as you have some wierd obsession with "scribes." Perhaps you created the position, who knows. So, we will agree to disagree.

OP- Many PA programs do not consider a "scribe" position as direct HANDS ON (this is the key) experience. So, at least consider that before you listen to the rest of this thread,

Heh. I'm astounded you really think being a scribe is better experience than being an ER tech. Like ER techs seriously just walk in, wipe some ass, and then leave. You don't think physicians discuss things with ER techs? We just wipe ass and leave? Really? Good lord.

It is obviously pointless to debate the issue as you have some wierd obsession with "scribes." Perhaps you created the position, who knows. So, we will agree to disagree.

OP- Many PA programs do not consider a "scribe" position as direct HANDS ON (this is the key) experience. So, at least consider that before you listen to the rest of this thread,

Not really sure what to say to that except to tell you that I have about 20 total years of healthcare experience ranging from EMT, EMT-P, PA-C, to physician. So I'm basing it on my own experience.

Not really sure what to say to that except to tell you that I have about 20 total years of healthcare experience ranging from EMT, EMT-P, PA-C, to physician. So I'm basing it on my own experience.

Hi, I'm actually looking for ED scribe positions across the country and having difficulty finding some out on the East Coast. I live in Minneapolis and have heard of 2 hospitals around here that have scribes but I'd like to know if they are any opportunities out in the East. Where should I start to look? Thanks!!

I'm going to have to agree with the Corpsman on this. Having worked my way up from a tech (in the ED) to RN (on med/surg, then ED) to physician, I know the extent to which physicians talk to ER techs (and even RNs). Doesn't even compare to the interaction we have with scribes, once we work with them awhile. Scribes are much more "in our heads" than any other healthcare provider can be, since that is their job. While perhaps not considered "direct" or "hands-on" medical experience, your medical knowledge, differential building skills, and documentation/billing knowledge will be second to none after having worked as a scribe. This will serve you much more than any tech or EMT position ever could. And I'm saying that from the perspective of someone who did the tech/RN route...

To the OP, best of luck...

I don't know if you guys are just not reading the original post or what?

"What do you guys think is the benefits of being an ER Scribe when it comes to applying to PA school?"

You admit that being an ER scribe is NOT "direct, hands-on experience", but what do you think it is that PA schools look for in an applicant? Perhaps some of you are really confused about the application process to PA school as opposed to medical school.

I was an ER scribe for 3 years in college, then for 1 year between college and medical school. I can confirm that the experience was fantastic in terms of helping me decide that medical school was the right career. Also, having been present for the history, physical, writing the orders, writing the assessment/ddx, following up labs, I really did learn a great deal about medicine that came in handy later. I also worked a few shifts as an ER tech during college, then part time during my time off, and can confirm that in comparison to scribing, I learned very little about medicine and what doctors do and how they think. I did, however, learn a lot more in terms of technical skills, like drawing blood, doing ekg's, etc. Both things helped me out in medical school in different ways, but in my opinion, being a scribe was more helpful. Maybe PA school would be different, I don't know anything about that.

Whats your input?

It would be best to call the PA schools that you are interested in, and ask them this question.

It would be best to call the PA schools that you are interested in, and ask them this question.

the simple answer is that those pa schools that require experience probably won't count this as experience is required to be "direct, hands on". I know at the 2 places I have worked on admissions committees that this was not accepted. it was considered "secretarial work".

But after reading these posts, maybe they should. Based on the title, I would have characterized the position as secretarial, too which now sounds unfair to the scribe.

I don't know if you guys are just not reading the original post or what?

"What do you guys think is the benefits of being an ER Scribe when it comes to applying to PA school?"

You admit that being an ER scribe is NOT "direct, hands-on experience", but what do you think it is that PA schools look for in an applicant? Perhaps some of you are really confused about the application process to PA school as opposed to medical school.

First question that popped into my mind: Have you scribed before?

To me, it seems like you do not really know what they do and what advantages there are to scribing. There are advantages to teching also.

Personally, I think scribing > tech work because you get to see the flow of things from start to finish (you kind of see what you are getting yourself into, although it's the ER setting you get to see for the most part). Isn't that the best type of clinical experience? You aren't doing clinical experience to gain skills per se. You are figuring out if the career is what you really want to do. You can gain interpersonal skills and other important skills from other activities like tutoring/volunteering/athletics/etc.

Bottom line, skills learned as a tech can be learned in PA school/Medical school. Figuring out if you like the profession is best done before applying.

One of the problems with counting scribe as experience is that scribes are never directly responsible for anything except documentation, and even that is reviewed by the provider before it is signed off on.
pa schools want to see students who have been responsible for pts welfare before. folks who have had to evaluate a pts complaint and make decisions based on THEIR exam not someone elses. nurses/medics/rt's/medical assts. all have a level of responsibility for pt care far greater than what a scribe does. these are the folks who can tell sick from not sick, not the guy who just watches someone else work. the way someone should know if they want to be a pa or not is from working with and interacting professionally with a pa as colleagues over an extended period of time.
scribe is fine as med school experience if you are just looking for something to write about in your admissions essay but doesn't cut it for pa school.

No way! ER techs don't stay in the room for the entire patient encounter. When you scribe you get access to the provider's thought processes and if you are lucky, they will often think out loud because you are in there. As an ED tech, you are just coming and going based on the need to help do something. I mean if you want to learn medicine, then scribe. If you want to wipe butts and take blood pressures, maybe do a few IV's, then sure, be a CNA or tech. You will have plenty of time in your life to do those things, but few if any people get access to the real thought process behind patient care as as scribe does. And if they don't count scribing as healthcare experience, they are doing themselves and you a disservice.

I dont know where you observed this type of job where you can categorically state that scribing is more beneficial that actual patient care. I am an ER Tech and I can, with certainty, state that my job is not just...
wipe butts and take blood pressures, maybe do a few IV's
. I have, and do help out in casting, splint breaks/fractures, conscious sedation, triaging (individual and in mass casualty), blood work, ect.. A decent part of the job entails patient transport to radiology or to the ward.

However, it isn't the physical part of my job that benefits me most. It is the analysis of blood chemistries, ekgs, radiology films, and various treatments that keep me interested and committed to learning more and more. Additionally, as a scribe you take not dictated by the physician. Being a CNA or ER TECH has the benefit of developing one of the most beneficial skills to being a doctor. You have patient interaction and quickly learn that you need to develop interpersonal and communication skills to among patients and staff.

Regardless, bot are beneficial for different reasons. To say one is better than the other is simply perspective.

I think it's a great idea! A handful of my classmates in PA school were scribes in the ED and it was certainly influential in their acceptance and the exposure has helped them with their studies. I would have been a scribe if I had known about it. Quite a few others were EMTs or RAs. I go to a pretty competitive school, so I think most schools would be on the same page.

I just came across this thread and it's been really helpful so far in guiding me to what I want to do in my gap year after graduating from undergrad and before applying to med school.

I applied for an ER scribe position and passed to the second round of interviews/skills assessment. I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into what the skills assessment entails and if I can prepare somehow? Perhaps I should practice taking dictation and improving my typing skills (I'm fairly good, but I imagine it can't hurt to get better).

If that doesn't work out, I was wondering how one goes about becoming an ER Tech? If anyone knows the procedure for Illinois, that would be really helpful!