What do you think? Advice..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MexicanDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got into a CA PA program and I also got into a couple California State University FNP programs. the PA program costs around 70K in tuition compared to 25K for the FNP programs. If I go to the PA program Iwon't be able to work the first year which is a year worth of salary (~80-85K as an ICU RN). If I go to the PA program Iwould use all my savings (~80K) in living expenses, so in all if I chose PA I would be losing more than 200K in lost salaries, tuition and savings. If I go FNP tuition is much cheaper, and I would still be working and keep my savings... I would much rather do PA because of their medical model and the PA program being a top choice..but is it worth it??? As an NP I can do the same things PAs do in (primary care) and ER (CEP America) and they both get pay exact the same thing I am not interested in doing surgery at all.At my current hospital, they hire both PAs and NPs to work as hospitalists and are paid the same thing.... So the answer or decision should be obvious, but I'm simply stressing out... Also as you know NPs have a very strong lobby and their future in terms of autonomy is bright compared to PAs.. What do you think? If you were in my shoes, what would you do...

Members don't see this ad.

I got into a CA PA program and I also got into a couple California State University FNP programs. the PA program costs around 70K in tuition compared to 25K for the FNP programs. If I go to the PA program Iwon't be able to work the first year which is a year worth of salary (~80-85K as an ICU RN). If I go to the PA program Iwould use all my savings (~80K) in living expenses, so in all if I chose PA I would be losing more than 200K in lost salaries, tuition and savings. If I go FNP tuition is much cheaper, and I would still be working and keep my savings... I would much rather do PA because of their medical model and the PA program being a top choice..but is it worth it??? As an NP I can do the same things PAs do in (primary care) and ER (CEP America) and they both get pay exact the same thing I am not interested in doing surgery at all.At my current hospital, they hire both PAs and NPs to work as hospitalists and are paid the same thing.... So the answer or decision should be obvious, but I'm simply stressing out... Also as you know NPs have a very strong lobby and their future in terms of autonomy is bright compared to PAs.. What do you think? If you were in my shoes, what would you do...

Why is this even a question.....go NP.

I will play devil's advocate and say even though PA school will cost you more, it's because the quality of education you'll recieve in my oppinion is alot better. You HAVE to be there and be involved in it and not work. Also the loss in wages is a drop in the bucket for a lifetime of satisfaction/knowledge and flexibility that PA's have over NP's. If it was me, as an RN, I'd choose PA. Nursing classes are painfully boring and often yield very little knowledge in my experiences(after the initial RN degree) and I know people who are currently enrolled in NP programs who feel the same way. That's my two cents.

You are indeed crazy if you go to PA school and throw all that money away. $85000 in lost wages x 2 years. $80k in tuition. Then there's living expenses. Nebraska just became the 20th state to make NPs fully independent. Every year, one or two states seem to do that. And you yourself see NPs doing everything you want to do, and everything a PA does. Is it really worth it to lose out on $200k for what?...
PA flexibility is going away in favor of PAs with specialized certifications anyway. Employers will want to see more of that, and less jumping around. You said you don't want to do surgery, so that's not an issue. Nationally there are like 3700 NPs in the ER vs like 8000 PAs, so it's not like you would be hurting for an ER job as an NP. You'd be making the same amount of money as an NP. And just so you know, I'd doubt you'd be able to work much at any point in PA school, and if you did, I guarantee you'd be tuckered out enough that you wouldn't want to put in more than one shift on icu per week. Don't buy into the hype. I'd rather be 200k ahead in life. Eventually, all the newness of being a provider will wear off just like nursing did for you, and you'll be ready to just punch a clock and go relax after work each day. You won't care what letters you have behind your name. At that point, wouldn't you rather to home to a nice house that you put $200k down on? I crunched the numbers for PA school as well, and went nursing so I could go NP. And I'm not out anything for it... I went to community college for my RN, and my hospital paid the <$10000 tuition. My first two years in nursing I made as much as new PAs make where I'm at, so it's not like I missed out on any cash going that route. When all is done, I'll have paid $25000 for my NP. I'm in a state where NPs have a tremendous amount of latitude.

Indeed, you answered your own question, and I answered it for myself a while ago. $200,000.... What would being a PA offer you that would be worth that? A profession that would require you to find a doctor that will agree to supervise you so that you can do your job. And if he moves or simply decides he doesn't want to work with you anymore, you have to go out and start again, hat in hand. And you would be out $200k. You get fired as an NP, you go out and find a job, or work for yourself (well, not in California... But maybe someday there). Or you relax because you have $200,000 in the bank.... So you go to Hawaii to relax or do a travel gig (Hawaii is independent by the way).

I read a thread on The pa forums a few years back. The PAs were wishing that there was a way for them to do some coursework or jump through some hoops to get an NP cert. Experienced PAs were saying that they would go to great lengths to do that if it were possible. Also, if you go NP, and decide someday to go into academia, you would be that much closer to a really good career. Or you could go into administration, become a CNO and be making the big bucks (my hospitals cno makes >$400k. As an NP you can more easily go international. An NP degree can be an investment. Becoming a PA is a dead end in that regard. A PA is most valuable when he or she is in front of a patient churning up revenue. A nurse can be most valuable in an executive role. And if you ever want to become an Nurse anesthetist, it will be just a matter of turning in your application.

What career path gives you the most options?

Reactions: 1 users