EMERGENCY MEDICINE 2015-2016 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys just looking for an opinion on something. I am finishing up my last away EM rotation and will be getting a final SLOE from them. However they only do pass/fail so I will receive what I believe will be a good SLOE but a pass grade. Does this look bad to other programs? Hopefully they would know that they only do pass/fail i guess. Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

what do you guys make of NOT yet hearing back from a program that has rejected people ...

also

programs that have offered interviews but you haven't received a rejection (or any communication) yet

Are these situations the same? I'm really interested in some of these programs but feel like they might think I won't make the move based on geography

+1.. especially schools that have given out rejections but you haven't heard from them?

Hey guys just looking for an opinion on something. I am finishing up my last away EM rotation and will be getting a final SLOE from them. However they only do pass/fail so I will receive what I believe will be a good SLOE but a pass grade. Does this look bad to other programs? Hopefully they would know that they only do pass/fail i guess. Thanks for the help.
There's a place in the sloe form to explain your grading practices so I'm sure the program will say they're pass/fail. Plus, most of the PDs will likely know this about the program unless is a tiny no-name place.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It could mean that your app is still on file. They could be reviewing apps on a continual basis as people cancel interviews or it could mean that you aren't rejected bc they are too lazy to outright reject everyone but those who they clearly and blatantly would rather go unfilled than have you lol!!!

what do you guys make of NOT yet hearing back from a program that has rejected people ...

also

programs that have offered interviews but you haven't received a rejection (or any communication) yet

Are these situations the same? I'm really interested in some of these programs but feel like they might think I won't make the move based on geography

Both situations are probably the same. Our program keeps people inactive in case interview spots open up, but we also send out rejections to people who are not a good fit or are not competitive.

All SLOEs say what distribution of honors/high pass/pass/fail that people get. Pass/fail schools have 0% honors/high pass, so other programs know that "pass" is the highest attainable grade if it looks like 0% honors / 0% high pass / 95% pass / 5% fail. The discerning part comes in the comments, the areas that are above/at/below peers, and the global ranking / position on own program's rank list sections.

Both situations are probably the same. Our program keeps people inactive in case interview spots open up, but we also send out rejections to people who are not a good fit or are not competitive.

thanks for this insight ...would an email help in these kinds of scenarios? I have a local program that I'm really interested in but would hate to sit silent and ultimately get a rejection. If so who should the email go to?

so maybe this is a topic that has been beaten but it looks like most programs have handed out interview by now...so how exactly do we people with 3 go to 12 with that being said?

I guess the sad but true answer is that a little less than half of all USMD applicants don't reach 12 interviews :/.

thanks for this insight ...would an email help in these kinds of scenarios? I have a local program that I'm really interested in but would hate to sit silent and ultimately get a rejection. If so who should the email go to?

Especially if you have new information that might change their decision (e.g., new strong SLOE that was uploaded, was chosen for AOA, Step 2 score is very competitive) it certainly could not hurt. I would email the program coordinator letting them know that you are interested in the program for "x" and "y" reasons and that you have new information about your application. If you didn't have new information about your application then it might not change impressions much (but again probably won't hurt).

hey guys just a heads up... i was scheduling an invite on interview broker just now and noticed that i had an additional different program in interview broker that was unscheduled. i never received an email for this program and did not have anything in my spam folder. i did receive confirmation once scheduled. just a heads up to check this out periodically.

hey guys just a heads up... i was scheduling an invite on interview broker just now and noticed that i had an additional different program in interview broker that was unscheduled. i never received an email for this program and did not have anything in my spam folder. i did receive confirmation once scheduled. just a heads up to check this out periodically.

how did you see this exactly? how do you even login?

how did you see this exactly? how do you even login?
when you get an invite on interview broker there is a link to schedule it. once you're on the scheduling page there is a link that says "click to show all my invites" which is where i found it. i dont know how to log in other than just clicking the links in the emails

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, guys. I am in the fortunate position of having already received more invites than number of interviews I wish to attend (16, for those of you who like hard numbers). I am still waiting to hear from quite a few programs I am interested in, but I was advised to apply to a number of programs that turned out to be too many for me. I still have apps out there for programs I am less interested in, and I was wondering what the etiquette is for withdrawing applications. Do I email the coordinator for every program from which I withdraw? I am assuming I should.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, guys. I am in the fortunate position of having already received more invites than number of interviews I wish to attend (16, for those of you who like hard numbers). I am still waiting to hear from quite a few programs I am interested in, but I was advised to apply to a number of programs that turned out to be too many for me. I still have apps out there for programs I am less interested in, and I was wondering what the etiquette is for withdrawing applications. Do I email the coordinator for every program from which I withdraw? I am assuming I should.

For any program that has already contacted you, either for an interview, to say you're on the waitlist, etc, yes, you should send them an email thanking them for their consideration and stating that you are withdrawing your application for whatever reason. Once that's done, go to ERAS, click the checkbox by the programs on your list that you want to withdraw from, and go up to the top right of the screen and click withdraw.

If they haven't yet contacted you, there's no need to send an email, just select them and click withdraw. They'll be notified by ERAS, and that's that.

The sooner you withdraw the apps you're not considering, the better, as someone else will be more likely to be able to make the interview you were given.

For any program that has already contacted you, either for an interview, to say you're on the waitlist, etc, yes, you should send them an email thanking them for their consideration and stating that you are withdrawing your application for whatever reason. Once that's done, go to ERAS, click the checkbox by the programs on your list that you want to withdraw from, and go up to the top right of the screen and click withdraw.

If they haven't yet contacted you, there's no need to send an email, just select them and click withdraw. They'll be notified by ERAS, and that's that.

The sooner you withdraw the apps you're not considering, the better, as someone else will be more likely to be able to make the interview you were given.
Agree with this plan. If you've already heard from them, whether you've scheduled an interview or not, contact them and cancel or just tell them no thanks. Otherwise withdraw via ERAS and you'll completely disappear from their radar. Even if they were going to invite you tomorrow, they won't be able to anymore once you withdraw.

So I was under the impression that you don't need to email them as long as you cancel more than two weeks out.

Hoping that's true otherwise I was very rude to a program by cancelling my interview on Interview Broker only.... (my IV was in January and I chose to cancel because I couldn't see myself living in that city. I applied because it's a good program in the state I live.)

Agree with this plan. If you've already heard from them, whether you've scheduled an interview or not, contact them and cancel or just tell them no thanks. Otherwise withdraw via ERAS and you'll completely disappear from their radar. Even if they were going to invite you tomorrow, they won't be able to anymore once you withdraw.

So I was under the impression that you don't need to email them as long as you cancel more than two weeks out.

Hoping that's true otherwise I was very rude to a program by cancelling my interview on Interview Broker only.... (my IV was in January and I chose to cancel because I couldn't see myself living in that city. I applied because it's a good program in the state I live.)
Interview Broker didn't exist when I was applying so I can't comment on that. But it would have taken you another 30 seconds to just email the PC to cancel as well.

Last edited:
I second that. I sent an email to every program that I cancelled, regardless of interview broker, out of politeness. I cancelled on interview broker first then sent a polite update email to coordinator, then withdrew on ERAS as well. All mine were >> 2 weeks in advance.

I second that. I sent an email to every program that I cancelled, regardless of interview broker, out of politeness. I cancelled on interview broker first then sent a polite update email to coordinator, then withdrew on ERAS as well. All mine were >> 2 weeks in advance.

Okay. I'll send them an apologetic email. Not sure what to make it say though. "Thanks for your time but I respectfully withdraw my application."?

But the PD at Northwestern specifically said there isn't a need to do anything except cancel on Interview Broker at a AAEM event. Also I was told just cancelling on Interview Broker was enough and no need to withdraw on ERAS.

Okay. I'll send them an apologetic email. Not sure what to make it say though. "Thanks for your time but I respectfully withdraw my application."?

But the PD at Northwestern specifically said there isn't a need to do anything except cancel on Interview Broker at a AAEM event. Also I was told just cancelling on Interview Broker was enough and no need to withdraw on ERAS.
30 seconds on your side to send the email, 2 seconds on their side to delete it.

Why is sending a 1-2 sentence email to decline an interview invitation giving you such a hard time? You've received great advice but seem to already have a different plan. I think either one would work.

Last edited:
I withdrew on ERAS and sent an email as well. Thanks peeps for correcting my misinformation as it was never my intent to be anything less than professional or courteous.

Last edited:
Honestly, they could care less in my opinion. But cannot go wrong with being considerate :)

Hello everyone! Quick question: do yall know if most programs require Step 2CK before rank lists are due? My school just requires it before graduation, so just trying to see if it's ok to put it off a bit. Thanks!

Hello everyone! Quick question: do yall know if most programs require Step 2CK before rank lists are due? My school just requires it before graduation, so just trying to see if it's ok to put it off a bit. Thanks!

I believe so, yes. I have been warned numerous times that I should have all my Step 2 scores back before ranking happens.

I believe so, yes. I have been warned numerous times that I should have all my Step 2 scores back before ranking happens.
I had a friend with a 250 plus step 1 and due to family issues he didn't take ck in time before rank... And went unmatched to everyone's amazement in the spring. He called all the programs and they essentially either said he was not ranked or was ranked but so low that it was almost the same... All due to the fact that he didn't have ck in before ranking (programs don't want to match someone and run the risk of getting burned). Needless to say, he took step 2 this summer did well and is sitting at 18 interviews lol. Moral of the story have your steps in for rank!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
But the PD at Northwestern specifically said there isn't a need to do anything except cancel on Interview Broker at a AAEM event. Also I was told just cancelling on Interview Broker was enough and no need to withdraw on ERAS.[/QUOTE]

ABEM asks for ERAS stats every year and one of them is how many applicants withdrew. By not withdrawing from ERAS you're causing the PC to turn in incorrect #s. As stated above, it's a 30 second process that assures correct reporting and doesn't cause the PD or PC to wonder what happened to you. Afterwards, a quick email to the PC saying you've withdrawn in ERAS saves a lot of frustration.

short and sweet: YES

Another day of no interviews. all of those stats about how almost everyone matches in EM from USMD arent really reassuring right now

That would be a yes. I think the same applies for STEP 2 CS; I was initially scheduled to take early November, but realized that November scores would not be released until after January-February (around the time when programs submit their rank lists I believe). Was lucky to get rescheduled for Oct. 24th (with scores being released in December).

That would be a yes. I think the same applies for STEP 2 CS; I was initially scheduled to take early November, but realized that November scores would not be released until after January-February (around the time when programs submit their rank lists I believe). Was lucky to get rescheduled for Oct. 24th (with scores being released in December).

Well I'm taking CS in Nov. The scores are supposed to come out in time. Fingers crossed I guess.

As long as you take cs by New Year's Day, your scores will be released in time for ranking purposes :)

Is this true? The first thing that pops up when you look for reporting schedules is this: http://www.ecfmg.org/news/2015/04/16/2015-and-2016-schedules-for-reporting-step-2-cs-results/

Which lists February 3rd 2016 as the earliest reporting date for examinees who take the test between November and December of this year.

For each “Testing Period” in the above schedule, Step 2 CS scores are released every Wednesday over a corresponding four-to five-week “Reporting Period.” It is expected that results for the vast majority of examinees who take the exam during the testing period will be reported on the first Wednesday of the Reporting Period. Results for 98%-99% of examinees who take the exam during the testing period are reported by the third Wednesday in a Reporting Period. For a small percentage of examinees (1%-2%), scoring and quality assurance may be not completed in time for these examinees to be reported by the first three reporting dates; these will typically be examinees who took the exam in the latter part of the testing period. Results for these examinees will be reported each week throughout the reporting period, and should be reported no later than the last day of the score reporting period. - See more at: http://www.ecfmg.org/news/2015/04/1...rting-step-2-cs-results/#sthash.1k8TNOjW.dpuf

Rank lists are due the 24th. this leaves plenty of time

why yes, yes i did.
Don't see how that responds to my question.

Edit: Just FYI, the reason for providing the link was in response to an earlier post stating that taking the test prior to New Year's Eve would be OK. Some programs begin working on their rank list as early as mid January, so a reporting period between February 3rd to February 24th (with the target being the 3rd Wednesday in that reporting period) would be a bit undesirable.

Last edited:

Your question was is this true aka if you take CS before new years, will you have a passing CS for ranks. That statement tells you that you have a 98-99% chance of that happening. And i stated when rank lists are due. What exactly is there left to answer?

Edit: Just FYI, the reason for providing the link was in response to an earlier post stating that taking the test prior to New Year's Eve would be OK. Some programs begin working on their rank list as early as mid January, so a reporting period between February 3rd to February 24th (with the target being the 3rd Wednesday in that reporting period) would be a bit undesirable.

a valid edit. nonetheless, i dont think that CS is going to be a major factor in your ranking. No CK by then? certainly. given that USMD have like a 99.9% chance, they can rank you where they would and then just drop you to the bottom if you fail.

you can always send an update on feb 3 saying, hey i passed so dont make me rank 180/180

a valid edit. nonetheless, i dont think that CS is going to be a major factor in your ranking. No CK by then? certainly. given that USMD have like a 99.9% chance, they can rank you where they would and then just drop you to the bottom if you fail.

This was my reaction when I asked a current EM resident about it. She then mentioned how all your scores must be in by the time they start working on the rank list at her program (~~mid January). Don't know if by that she meant that your application would not be considered for the rank at all or what, all I know is that it motivated me to find an earlier date to take CS.

According to multiple PDs (including our home PD) the vast majority of EM programs only require step 2 CK results prior to ranking.

As far as I know only a handful of programs (probably less than 10) require step 2 CS results prior to ranking.

UCSF, Stanford, and LSU-Shreveport are programs that come to mind.

UCSF specifically states that they have a February 15th deadline on their website:
http://emergency.ucsf.edu/education/residency-progams/applicants/applicant-information

Now obviously if UCSF is one of your top choices, you'd want to have you results in before February (so you need to take in Oct at the latest). If not, hopefully the results will be released before the 15th.

In any case, its too late now for most people to reschedule Nov/Dec test dates for Oct and those people taking CS in Nov/Dec should have no issues with 95% of EM residency programs. Just make sure you have CS done before graduation.

Your question was is this true aka if you take CS before new years, will you have a passing CS for ranks. That statement tells you that you have a 98-99% chance of that happening. And i stated when rank lists are due. What exactly is there left to answer?

This is also true. As long as you take CS before new years you should be just fine.

Well the interview thread makes it seem like every program that I've applied to has apparently sent out interviews. Not the best feeling.

I'm in the same boat. Six interviews, I'm tired of refreshing my email.