EMERGENCY MEDICINE 2015-2016 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Some of the emails I got cited 4 pm eastern time as the agreed upon time.

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing for me in the morning either. Expected to wake up to atleast 2-3 interviews -_-

How helpful would it be to go to ACEP and try and talk to PDs? I'm a DO applicant with decent board scores, but a lot fewer invites than I'd like at this point.

I enjoyed it a lot. I liked seeing programs I hadn't considered, etc. I think it might have helped getting an interview or two, but I can't be sure.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So who else is having absolutely no luck today despite hoping that today would finally be the day you get 1-2?

Reactions: 2 users
So who else is having absolutely no luck today despite hoping that today would finally be the day you get 1-2?
I've gotten 1 inv so I feel your pain. The day isn't over and with acep they may be otherwise busy. Fingers crossed.

*fingers crossed*...Feeling a lot of pain here. Didn't even get any love from Texas programs!!!!!!!!! I mean come on Texas :p

If it's any consolation, my PD had earlier sent an email to not to expect a bolus on today. He said it will be a trickling effect from here onwards.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, so am I the only one with just 1 invite so far? My boards are fine, 230s for 1, 240s for 2, but I applied to competitive places and my application overall is probably a little below average with crappy grades and dean's letter. Still, it would be nice to have invites from schools other than my home institution at this point... Should I be considering Plan B already or is this a common predicament at this point?

Hey, so am I the only one with just 1 invite so far? My boards are fine, 230s for 1, 240s for 2, but I applied to competitive places anmy application overall is probably a little below average with crappy grades and dean's letter. Still, it would be nice to have invites from schools other than my home institution at this point... Should I be considering Plan B already or is this a common predicament at this point?
USMD, DO, IMG??

Members don't see this ad :)
if it makes you feel any better, there are 4/22 classmates applying to EM from my home school (USMD) who only have 1 as of this morning. So yea it stinks to have so little it's still technically early on in the season. What's plan B?? And just to clarify you mean 1 total or just 1 invite today?

Hey, so am I the only one with just 1 invite so far? My boards are fine, 230s for 1, 240s for 2, but I applied to competitive places and my application overall is probably a little below average with crappy grades and dean's letter. Still, it would be nice to have invites from schools other than my home institution at this point... Should I be considering Plan B already or is this a common predicament at this point?

Are the places you applied on the list of those that have already sent invites? You have average stats and only applied to competitive places? Community/back up programs? Did you apply in your geographic area? A lot of info needed to give good advice.

The range I've heard is 0-20 so far. And honestly, the people with more than 10 are probably the people who are somewhat competitive and were instructed to flood the system with apps by their home schools. For instance, my home school told us applying to 60-100 programs was the goal. They didn't discriminate; one of my peers had 240s step1 , 250s step 2, mainly honors and high passes without Cs or Fs, was an EMT before medical school, is a USMD candidate, and a very likable dude. They told him the SAME thing as everyone else.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, it does help. I've gotten one total invite. Haven't heard a thing today. It's more like Plans B, C and D, which are maybe applying to more schools (applied to 35 but they are all in desirable places), applying to prelims or looking into getting letters of rec for a less competitive specialty real fast. The last option sounds pretty stressful at this point in 4th year, but I guess it would keep things interesting.

My best advice for you at this moment in time is understand that you are certainly not the only USMD with 1 interview (im sure it doesnt really help all that much but maybe you can find some closure in knowing that your not alone)....I dont think its a terrible idea if you want to wait until next week to send out like 5 to 10 more interviews, also in the meantime maybe apply to a few prelims jic, depending on just how big your freak out mode is lol... Regardless i would wait till the end of next week to make any decision. However in the meantime it cant hurt to ask for a fm/internal medicine letter or revise your em into an fm/im letter so that by the time next week does come you have all the stuff ready to just hit the send button!!

the only other thing that i can think that might be your downfall is your Letters/SLOES and if there were any obvious red flags raised or negative comments that might be putting your app in the trash in which case no amount of added programs will help sadly :/....Ask your home PD what he might think is going on and he could maybe give you a little insight as to whats up??

How many interviews at this point would you say is enough to hold off on applying to more/ applying to prelim?

Give us a list.

What do you mean by competitive places?

If you truly didn't apply to any community/less desirable programs you might need to send in another 5-10 applications ASAP.

I think its a little too early to be considering a Plan B etc at this point.

Our school thinks 5 by the end of October before you change your strategy.

Honestly if you have 4 plus interviews at this point i think you should be able to reach double digits by the time the season is over...dont underestimate how much movement occurs when people start canceling their interviews...When we met with 4th years from last year who match over 75 percent of them said they received more interviews in november and dec/jan than they did in the month leading up to that.

Give us a list.

What do you mean by competitive places?

If you truly didn't apply to any community/less desirable programs you might need to send in another 5-10 applications ASAP.

I think its a little too early to be considering a Plan B etc at this point.

Here's the list of places I applied. They are mostly in places I would want to live and many are big names that I am assuming are competitive for someone with red flags in the application, eg fourth quartile ranking and a dean's letter with some negative comments.

Alameda Health System-Highland Hospital Program
Allegheny Health Network Medical Education Consortium (AGH) Program
Baylor College of Medicine Program
Baystate Medical Center/Tufts University School of Medicine Program
Boston University Medical Center Program
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center Program
Drexel University College of Medicine/Hahnemann University Hospital Program
Duke University Hospital Program
Emory University Program
Georgetown University Hospital/Washington Hospital Center Program
George Washington University Program
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai/St Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center Program
Kaweah Delta Health Care District (KDHCD) Program
Loma Linda University Program
Maimonides Medical Center Program
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine (Rochester) Program
Montefiore Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Jacobi/Montefiore) Program
New York Methodist Hospital Program
New York Presbyterian Hospital Program
New York-Presbyterian/Queens Program
Oregon Health & Science University Program
St Louis University School of Medicine Program
Stanford University Hospital/Kaiser Permanente Medical Center Program
University of California (San Francisco)/Fresno Program
University of California (San Francisco)/San Francisco General Hospital Program
University of Massachusetts Program
University of Texas at Austin Dell Medical School Program
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston Program
University of Washington Program
Carolinas Medical Center Program
Christiana Care Health Services Program
Palmetto Health/University of South Carolina School of Medicine Program
University of Missouri-Columbia School of Medicine Program
Vanderbilt University Medical Center Program
Wake Forest University School of Medicine Program

Here's the list of places I applied. They are mostly in places I would want to live and many are big names that I am assuming are competitive for someone with red flags in the application, eg fourth quartile ranking and a dean's letter with some negative comments.

Emory University Program
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai/St Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center Program
Montefiore Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Jacobi/Montefiore) Program

seems like a reasonable list to me.

For your stats this seems like a reasonable list. My only concern is your deans letter, just how bad are these negative comments. Programs might be just tossing your app aside if there are glaring comments, and applying to more might not help if this is in fact your hurdle!

Emory University Program

Yeah not too bad.

The highlighted ones would be what many consider to be "highly competitive."

Its up to you. I don't see any harm in adding another 5 places (community shops in smaller cities = think south and midwest).

thanks everyone. i am going to make an attempt at patience and then start looking into backup plans

Maybe im overthinking it but how are we expecting a lot more interviews before the end of october? Next week everyone is getting ready for ACEP and the week after is ACEP. isnt it safe to assume we wont hear anything until first week in nov?

I don't know when ACEP happened last year, but according to last years data from my school, my last school class had an avg of 4 interviews by Oct 10, 10 interviews by Oct 17, 12 interviews by Oct 24th, and 14 interviews on avg by Oct 31st, 15 interviews by Nov 7th, and 16 by Nov 14th. If the trend remains the same as last year, 2/3rd of the interviews have been sent out (atleast according to my school's data from last year).

I don't know when ACEP happened last year, but according to last years data from my school, my last school class had an avg of 4 interviews by Oct 10, 10 interviews by Oct 17, 12 interviews by Oct 24th, and 14 interviews on avg by Oct 31st, 15 interviews by Nov 7th, and 16 by Nov 14th. If the trend remains the same as last year, 2/3rd of the interviews have been sent out (atleast according to my school's data from last year).

Thanks for the heads up. That is useful but note if youre at UTSW, note most of your class will be applying south area. that geography seems to give out interviews much earlier

Can someone please give me a valid reason for why someone would need to go on 16 plus interviews unless you are couples matching??? If after 16 interviews you can't find a good fit/feel for a program, I'm inclined to think that you're the one with the issue and not the programs lol???

Can someone please give me a valid reason for why someone would need to go on 16 plus interviews unless you are couples matching??? If after 16 interviews you can't find a good fit/feel for a program, I'm inclined to think that you're the one with the issue and not the programs lol???

amen to that. i was just wondering if we should expect interviews to stop coming in this week and next or if the trickle might continue?

amen to that. i was just wondering if we should expect interviews to stop coming in this week and next or if the trickle might continue?
I guess sadly they come when they come lol :/. And until they do, try and not let the process drive you looney bins!!

Getting 16 invites and going on 16 interviews are entirely different things. Going on 16 is ridiculous. I'm sitting at 15 invites so far and have declined a few, but many of the programs I am most excited about haven't contacted me yet. I'm assuming the above comment was referencing invites and not actual interviews.

Thanks for the heads up. That is useful but note if youre at UTSW, note most of your class will be applying south area. that geography seems to give out interviews much earlier

We were sent out emails this year that interviews will start rolling today. My own school only today gave out an interview (my first texas interview). I have 6 interviews right now (UTSW, Beth Israel, Hopkins, Cincinnati, Ohio state uni, Loma Linda). I'm scratching my head wondering what's going on since I'm looking at numbers from last year for students with comparable board scores to mine and class quartile, and my interview invite numbers are no where near theirs despite the same numbers.

It was referring to physically attending 16 plus interviews. If you have 50 plus invites more power to you :). I just think unless you have extenuating circumstances to go on 16 interviews is just silly...hence why I said interviews and not invites lol ;)

It was referring to physically attending 16 plus interviews. If you have 50 plus invites more power to you :). I just think unless you have extenuating circumstances to go on 16 interviews is just silly...hence why I said interviews and not invites lol ;)

Agreed

We were sent out emails this year that interviews will start rolling today. My own school only today gave out an interview (my first texas interview). I have 6 interviews right now (UTSW, Beth Israel, Hopkins, Cincinnati, Ohio state uni, Loma Linda). I'm scratching my head wondering what's going on since I'm looking at numbers from last year for students with comparable board scores to mine and class quartile, and my interview invite numbers are no where near theirs despite the same numbers.

It seems really random, you've got invites from places I haven't heard from and probably vice versa.

EM is getting more and more competitive, I wouldn't be surprised seeing people attend upto 15, 16 interviews in a few years time.

Last edited:
Getting 16 invites and going on 16 interviews are entirely different things. Going on 16 is ridiculous. I'm sitting at 15 invites so far and have declined a few, but many of the programs I am most excited about haven't contacted me yet. I'm assuming the above comment was referencing invites and not actual interviews.

Except for the fact I know guys who matched last year at their 13th and 15th programs... imagine if they had only gone on 12. If you got the cash and the time, I don't see why you wouldn't maximize your matching chances. If you don't got da cash or time, then it's moot.

It seems really random, you've got invites from places I haven't heard from and probably vice versa.
If you don't mind sharing your stats and where you have interviews from?

Last edited:
If you don't mind sharing your stats and where you have interviews from?

Interview invites so far: Beth Israel, Hopkins, Loma Linda, UTSW, Cincinnati, Ohio state Uni
Rejections so far: UPMC, UT Austin

I'll send a PM, if thats okay.

Last edited:
I'll send a PM, if thats okay.
Thanks :) I edited out my stats too. Don't want programs identifying me haha. I'm already refusing to change my twitter and fb name. Any more social media exposure doesn't seem like a good idea :p

Thanks :) I edited out my stats too. Don't want programs identifying me haha. I'm already refusing to change my twitter and fb name. Any more social media exposure doesn't seem like a good idea :p

Edited them out of my post for you. I think I'm pretty identifiable as it is, just a little self-conscious .

Edited them out of my post for you. I think I'm pretty identifiable as it is, just a little self-conscious .

Thanks a lot :D I can already tell you'll make one of the cool awesome residents. Good luck.

Has anyone had any luck using the waitlist feature on Interview Broker? I was flying home and saw my invite from UC Davis about 45 minutes after it had been sent. Only one spot left when I signed up, but it's for a date I am an unable to attend. I cliked on a waitlisted date hoping I can get it eventually.

Last edited:
what do you guys make of NOT yet hearing back from a program that has rejected people ...

also

programs that have offered interviews but you haven't received a rejection (or any communication) yet

Are these situations the same? I'm really interested in some of these programs but feel like they might think I won't make the move based on geography

Has anyone had any luck using the waitlist feature on Interview Broker? I was flying home and saw my invite from UC Davis about 45 minutes after it had been sent. Only one spot left when I signed up, but it's for a date I am an unable to attend. I cliked on a waitlisted date hoping I can get it eventually.

Yep - got my preferred date for Carolinas that way. About a week later I was emailed saying my date was automatically changed to the waitlisted choice.