Emailing PI after online RA Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ugh12345

Reaction score
Is it appropriate to email a PI to introduce yourself and tell them how interested you are in their research assistant position after applying online through the institutions HR department? I have seen a couple people online say this is very overly eager and a bad look, but others have said it is a must if you expect to get an interview. Does anyone know the consensus on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it appropriate to email a PI to introduce yourself and tell them how interested you are in their research assistant position after applying online through the institutions HR department? I have seen a couple people online say this is very overly eager and a bad look, but others have said it is a must if you expect to get an interview. Does anyone know the consensus on this?
n of 1, but reaching out directly to the PI helped me get my research assistant position. As long as you've done your background research and can convey why you're interested in their lab I think it's a good idea. It can help you stand out compared to other applicants who may just be applying broadly and not following up.

Reactions: 1 user
I personally like to be contacted about available positions. A quick hi to say you're interested and why is great. Then also you follow up after the interview and say you're still interested, definitely a plus.

I've always reached out personally to PIs after applying and it has almost always helped me get a position in their lab.