EM/Tox combined Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaltySqueegee

El Rey de Salsa
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted to MCO's PhD in Molec Cell Bio/Pharm, and am anticipating that an MD acceptance will be on its way. One thing that I am interested in doing with the joint degree is to go into EM and Toxicology.

My question is this: Are there any combined EM residencies with Tox fellowships, or is it pretty much the 3years plus 2years fellowship?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by MDTom
I just got accepted to MCO's PhD in Molec Cell Bio/Pharm, and am anticipating that an MD acceptance will be on its way. One thing that I am interested in doing with the joint degree is to go into EM and Toxicology.

My question is this: Are there any combined EM residencies with Tox fellowships, or is it pretty much the 3years plus 2years fellowship?

Thanks in advance.

As a future (hopefully) toxicologist, in my search there is only the EM residency followed by fellowship.

Sorry.

- H

as another probable future toximicologist, looks like fellowship after residency is the only available option.

Members don't see this ad :)
Talk to the American Board of Emergency Medicine and to a toxicology fellowship director. There might be a way, with prior approval from ABEM, to combine the two.

can anyone recommend a website or resource that has additional information on this career choice. I have gleemed/searched out what little info that SDN has revealed, and would like to know more about this career.

Thanks in advance,

And again, yes I have looked at the old tox threads...

Originally posted by Geek Medic
American College of Medical Toxicologists: www.acmt.org
American Board of Emergency Medicine: www.abem.org

Thank you...

How about a forums discussion link, where I can ask the toxicologists questions directly???

Lifestyle, average hours/week work, how easy is it to practice both toxicology and emergency medicine, etc.

How competitive are the Toxicology Fellowships.

i.e. number of applicants to number of available fellow spots.

I looked around but couldn't find the information readily available.

Thanks,

-Tom

Please correct me if I am wrong...but I belive that UC Davis has a three year EM/Clinical Tox program. :thumbup: is this what you were looking for?
-Ryan

Ryan said:
Please correct me if I am wrong...but I belive that UC Davis has a three year EM/Clinical Tox program. :thumbup: is this what you were looking for?
-Ryan

That's what I thought, yet I don't quite understand how they can take 3 + 2 to make 3years.

Anyone here doing this program? If so is there more to it than just a shift in Emergency training focus?

Seems like it would be more than just 3 years training.

Their website says it only contains one Tox rotation in the PGY-3...

Thanks for the info Ryan. Maybe I'll give them a call to see what's up with that.

Possibly I can convince them to turn it into a five year straight through program for me. Again, maybe I'll call and find out. :thumbup:

Holy Crap! From the Davis EM Residency Website!

Is this a competitive program?

Definitely. Each year, over 500 students apply, and we generally invite 100-120 for an on-campus interview. Please be aware that the deadline to apply to our residency program is November 1st. For more information on applying, please visit the Application Information page.

I have a good friend of mine starting there for the class of 2007...I'll hit him up for more info.... he is getting married soon though so it might take a day or two to get back to y'all.
-Ryan :)

Go to the Path department at MCO and see if they can track down Dr. Forney for you. He was the former head of Tox before they axed his dept last year. He may or may not have some info for you.

I'm a 3rd year at MCO. The UC Davis program is news to me, so there's obviously a lot that I don't know about this. But, if you're still interested, email me next spring -- I'm doing a tox rotation at UCSD jan or feb b/c I'm considering doing a tox fellowship eventually -- when I may learn more.

Have fun in Toledo,

Derrick

dlung said:
Go to the Path department at MCO and see if they can track down Dr. Forney for you. He was the former head of Tox before they axed his dept last year. He may or may not have some info for you.

I'm a 3rd year at MCO. The UC Davis program is news to me, so there's obviously a lot that I don't know about this. But, if you're still interested, email me next spring -- I'm doing a tox rotation at UCSD jan or feb b/c I'm considering doing a tox fellowship eventually -- when I may learn more.

Have fun in Toledo,

Derrick

Awesome, thanks for the FYI. I will definitely have to shoot Dr. Forney an email to see if he has any tidbits of information.

Have a good Summer. And don't let the stupid Tornados get you... :mad: :laugh:

Okay here is the UCD inside scoop... Toxicology at UCD is one month
long rotation in the third year, which isn't really all that much, but any EM
program will have toxicology experience while in the ER, ...The above is a
dedicated month in the Poison Control Center, which involves answering calls, rounding on inpt tox cases, etc. UCD also has a two year straight Tox fellowship (..the typical 5 year straight option).

...I hope this helps a little.

-Ryan :D

SaltySqueegee said:
Holy Crap! From the Davis EM Residency Website!

Is this a competitive program?

Definitely. Each year, over 500 students apply, and we generally invite 100-120 for an on-campus interview. Please be aware that the deadline to apply to our residency program is November 1st. For more information on applying, please visit the Application Information page.
500 for 10 spots isn't that unheard of. My program also receives about 500 apps per year and interviews around 120 for 10 positions. I was under the impression that there are quite a few programs that receive that many applications.

Yeah, thats a lot of applicants. Places like Denver, Cinci and Harbor also draw that much if not even larger numbers of interested applicants.

first i thought you were talking about toxicology fellowships and/or combined programs, but these numbers sound like applications to the regular residency programs? 500 apply, 100 interview, 10 spots....

southerndoc said:
Yea, that's what I was thinking.
Yeah, that was just for the regular EM residency spot.

I have no idea how competitive the Tox fellowships are.

Also, on the same note of competitiveness, how difficult is it to land an EM residency in Cali? I kinda have my heart set on working my way back to the "home land" from which I came. Doesn't necessarily have to be any particular place in Cali. Just in Cali. Cali is a weird word...

SewerRat said:
Yeah, thats a lot of applicants. Places like Denver, Cinci and Harbor also draw that much if not even larger numbers of interested applicants.

Places like those can draw >1000 applicants man. Some just apply because "its Denver." Really sucks for those staff that have to read all those applications. We had ~500 or so for 6 spots, and I saw how much time my PD had to put into reading those apps. Ugh!

Q, DO

SaltySqueegee said:
Also, on the same note of competitiveness, how difficult is it to land an EM residency in Cali? I kinda have my heart set on working my way back to the "home land" from which I came. Doesn't necessarily have to be any particular place in Cali. Just in Cali. Cali is a weird word...

In general, everything in the West (Denver to the Pacific Ocean) is considered quite competitive. Arizona, Oregon, Colorado and California, all pretty tough. The good thing about Cali is that there is a whole lot of programs that vary in competitiveness. Obviously the big-name "national-level" programs in California are more competitive than places well known within the state but not as famous outside of the West. One program in Cali may be super competitive while another in the same city is not. When you are talking competitiveness, you are usually talking about name-recognition and location.

Check out the FAQ.