Electives in US.When to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pickwikian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just gave my final year exams and awaiting my results..
i want to do my externship in US.. They say u have to be in your final year to do an elective in US and should not be a graduate.. My one year intership is still left..Am i late to apply for an elective?? Which are the schools that do not require USMLE step 1 scores (can you list them)?

Members don't see this ad.

I just gave my final year exams and awaiting my results..
i want to do my externship in US.. They say u have to be in your final year to do an elective in US and should not be a graduate.. My one year intership is still left..Am i late to apply for an elective?? Which are the schools that do not require USMLE step 1 scores (can you list them)?

No one here will do your work for you.

I will however answer your 1st question. And the answer is, it depends.

Depends on the field you want to do an elective in, where you want to do it and whether that place has spots open. You would do yourself a big favor if you give the Step 1 before applying for electives. A VERY few places will let you touch a patient without having passed step 1.

Start searching forums, narrowing down places and start calling them to ask about available spots & clerkship requirements.

cn nyone guide me how to get malpractice insurance certificate
:scared: