Elective Provider Exposure to COVID-19?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soparklion

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If COVID-19 sweeps across the country, won't we need to have physicians that are immune to it to continue to work and treat the sick? Doesn't it make sense to expose and then quarantine a cohort of providers to get ahead of the curve? Provider teams who had already been exposed to SARS were then used to treat future SARS patients with less fear of illness to themselves, although measures were still in place to limit patient to patient spread by healthcare providers. Otherwise, sequester disease-free providers to be available $hit hits fan. Given my lack risk factors (and that fact that I do believe that I am indestructible), I'd volunteer for COVID.

Will COVID-19 sweep across the country like it did in Italy? I realize that travel restrictions and closing restaurants is supposed to reduce the rate of the spread...

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t know if my life insurance covers that.

Reactions: 6 users
This guy sounds like a work injury lawyer looking for business.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This guy sounds like a work injury lawyer looking for business.
Infection would be voluntary. The benefit of early infection and need for ICU care is the availability of ICU care that might not be present later... COVID-19 is coming. You will be infected, but the likelihood of a severe case is <1%. The development, manufacture and distribution of an effective vaccine is not likely to occur before you are infected. There is a slim chance of an antiviral therapy to be developed and present in sufficient amounts to treat everyone.

This thread is a testament as to why it takes 20 hours just to complete an IRB application.

Reactions: 4 users
If COVID-19 sweeps across the country, won't we need to have physicians that are immune to it to continue to work and treat the sick? Doesn't it make sense to expose and then quarantine a cohort of providers to get ahead of the curve? Provider teams who had already been exposed to SARS were then used to treat future SARS patients with less fear of illness to themselves, although measures were still in place to limit patient to patient spread by healthcare providers. Otherwise, sequester disease-free providers to be available $hit hits fan. Given my lack risk factors (and that fact that I do believe that I am indestructible), I'd volunteer for COVID.

Will COVID-19 sweep across the country like it did in Italy? I realize that travel restrictions and closing restaurants is supposed to reduce the rate of the spread...

We have previously healthy people in their 20's / 30's who are critically ill. You have fun with that.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

You were the kid that touched the hot stove and played with fire as a teen.