Elective Haem/Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadlyTwig

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm a 4th year IMG looking to go to the US for my final year medical elective.

I was just wondering if anyone can recommend a hospital for a clinical haem/onc elective?

Thanks! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

You could try University of Kansas SOM. We have both inpatient and outpatient onc electives. I remember an IMG student presenting a patient at our weekly tumor board two years ago so at least back then it was a possibility.

I know someone who did that at Weill Cornell in NYC

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all!

I'm a 4th year IMG looking to go to the US for my final year medical elective.

I was just wondering if anyone can recommend a hospital for a clinical haem/onc elective?

Thanks! :thumbup:

There are heaps of options dude, just have to find a place that takes foreigners, it may help if you've done the USMLE exam though (if i recall memorial sloan kettering requires it)

I think it may be good to check out the MD Anderson Cancer Centre website, one of the top 2 cancer hospitals in the world and i think they don't need IMGs to do step 1 if you really want to go there ;)

It's in houston though...no judgement as i've never been there!

I agree on MD Anderson. While I've never been, it seems like a reasonable place to start. There should be plenty of good LORs there.Living in houston will probably be less expensive than NYC or Boston too.

Hey Guys!! Sorry for the late reply, been swamped with exams!

Thanks a million for the suggestions, its good to have a place to start! I'm studying for step1 at the moment, exam is in August.....eek! My plan is to do step2 while doing my elective, either just before or afterward.

Thank you :)