EK 1001 Chemistry #511

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmcgrath

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a better, well I shouldn't say better, I mean a DIFFERENT way of explaining this concept to me. I guess 510 is along the same lines as 511 but I really don't understand either of them. I really need a quick and simple way of thinking through these type of problems. More help on this topic would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
~Kayla

Members don't see this ad.

Q: Water condenses on a surface maintained at 13 degrees C, and boils when heated to 97 degrees C. What can be said about atmospheric conditions?

A: The partial pressure of water in the atmosphere is at least as great as the vapor pressure of water at 13 degrees C, and the total atmospheric pressure is less than 760torr.

Members don't see this ad :)
The first part of the answer kinda confuses me, but the second part makes sense. The atm. pressure SHOULD be below 760 torr (1 atm) because the water there boils at 97 celsius, and not 100 celsius like it would at 1 atm. Boiling Point is reached when vapor pressure equals atmospheric pressure.

Q: Water condenses on a surface maintained at 13 degrees C, and boils when heated to 97 degrees C. What can be said about atmospheric conditions?

A: The partial pressure of water in the atmosphere is at least as great as the vapor pressure of water at 13 degrees C, and the total atmospheric pressure is less than 760torr.

In the first part, you have to see that condensation will occur when there are more water molecules in the atmosphere that "want to condense" versus the number of water molecules that "want to evaporate". If it helps, picture a rainforest which has a lot of water in the atmosphere, so the net movement of water will be to condense (some condensed water will evaporate, but MORE water vapor will condense). Thus, the partial pressure of water in the jungle is at LEAST as great as the vapor pressure at the given temperature.

Contrast this with a desert, where there is little atmospheric h2O, thus low atmospheric h2O partial pressure. More water will want to evaporate compared to the amount of water that is available to condense, thus there will be a net evaporation of water. Thus, condensation will NOT occur because atmospheric partial pressure is less than the vapor pressure.

The 2nd part of the question can be visualized as follows: water is boiling at a lower temperature, so it is "easier" to boil. Less energy input is required than normal, so there must be less pressure that is "holding down the solution" and preventing it from boiling. The higher the atm pressure, the more energy input is required to boil a solution. At 1 atm, the BP is 100C. So in the new case, the BP is lower, so atm pressure must also be lower.

That's exactly how I think when I think of this topic. :thumbup:

In the first part, you have to see that condensation will occur when there are more water molecules in the atmosphere that "want to condense" versus the number of water molecules that "want to evaporate". If it helps, picture a rainforest which has a lot of water in the atmosphere, so the net movement of water will be to condense (some condensed water will evaporate, but MORE water vapor will condense). Thus, the partial pressure of water in the jungle is at LEAST as great as the vapor pressure at the given temperature.

Contrast this with a desert, where there is little atmospheric h2O, thus low atmospheric h2O partial pressure. More water will want to evaporate compared to the amount of water that is available to condense, thus there will be a net evaporation of water. Thus, condensation will NOT occur because atmospheric partial pressure is less than the vapor pressure.

The 2nd part of the question can be visualized as follows: water is boiling at a lower temperature, so it is "easier" to boil. Less energy input is required than normal, so there must be less pressure that is "holding down the solution" and preventing it from boiling. The higher the atm pressure, the more energy input is required to boil a solution. At 1 atm, the BP is 100C. So in the new case, the BP is lower, so atm pressure must also be lower.