Simple Chemistry Question ***Frustrated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Phlebotomist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just to confirm ---> Histidine is Polar ---> it can have a positive charge? And therefore its not hydrophobic? Can someone explain this answer, please? I appreciate you so much!

The structure shown here is: A-G-H tripeptide with no information given about PH in the question or passage. I just assume physiological re: isoelectric point.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just to confirm ---> Histidine is Polar ---> it can have a positive charge? And therefore its not hydrophobic? Can someone explain this answer, please? I appreciate you so much!

The structure shown here is: A-G-H tripeptide with no information given about PH in the question or passage. I just assume physiological re: isoelectric point.

The primary structure is different, because the order of amino acids are different. However, because the same 3 amino acids are involved in both tripeptides, they will have the same isoelectric point and hydrophobicity. These 2 properties are determined by the amino acids present.

Your understanding of Histidine is correct. However, hydrophobicity does not mean that something is very hydrophobic. It is just a measure how hydrophobic it is. Therefore, you could argue that both of these structures have low hydrophobicity, but they are still equal since it is determined by the amino acids present, and they have the same amino acids.