Einstein vs USF Morsani

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

user121212

Reaction score
I’m having a difficult time deciding between these two schools. I was originally planning to attend USF since I’m from Tampa and my family will be living close by. But, I recently got a pretty big scholarship from Einstein which makes it about cheaper by about 6k a year.

Some things to consider: I am thinking (but still undecided) about pursuing OB/GYN, weird things are happening in Florida rn politically, and I probably do not want to stay there for residency. However, USF is close to my support system, which will be nice since I didn’t live near them for undergrad. Einstein is a slightly better school and will be slightly cheaper, but I’m wondering if the name and opportunities there carry enough weight over USF that it’s better to go Einstein rather than stay near my family.

Both are great schools so it’s a good problem to have, but any input would be much appreciated!

Einstein Pro
  • Slightly higher PD and research ranking
  • True p/f
  • 1.5 yr pre-clerkship
  • Close-knit community bc most student live on campus
  • Great public transportation
  • Stronger residency matches in the north
  • About 6k/year cheaper
  • Living in NY
Einstein Con
  • Far from family (and added costs of flights to home)
  • Don’t know the area as well/ would take more time to get adjusted
  • Didn’t get to visit school
USF Pro
  • Slightly higher clinical ranking
  • Close to family (good support system, moving in much easier)
  • Brand new facilities (med building, CAMLS simulation center)
  • On the up and up (fastest-rising school in national rankings)
  • Lots of great clinical teaching sites
  • Enjoyed second look
USF Con
  • In FL where weird **** is going on politically
  • not looking to stay for residency, but many residency matches in FL/south
  • Honors/HP/P/F

Members don't see this ad.

I guess a lot depends on how much the family support means to you and how comfortable you are living on your own in the Bronx. Einstein is a stronger school and particularly, I think, stronger for research.

Also, USF has two tracks....one in Tampa all four years and another that has you in Lehigh Valley, PA for your last two years. Which would you be doing?

When it comes to residency, often a couple of regions tend to be more likely for students to land than others....the area/region where the student went to med school and the area/region where the student has family ties to. This is not a rule by any means but residency programs do take into account the student support system and the increased likelihood that a student might attend their program based on that support system. For example, you're from Southern CA and you go to med school at Johns Hopkins. You'd have a good shot a CA residencies and ones in the mid-Atlantic. That's not to say you couldn't go somewhere else.

In your case, going to USF might tend to anchor you in FL for residency given you would have gone to school there and have your support system there. And you already know you don't want to do residency (especially OB/GYN) in FL. Again, not a hard rule but something to consider.

USF and growing up in FL likely means other states in the SE are still immediate options for residency too (eg GA with Atlanta, NC with Raleigh). And given USF has a connection to PA, that expands your more significant ties to that state and surrounding ones.

Agreed, it is up to whether you prefer being close to home or are fine with moving. Not a wild difference between these 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
The area around USF is soooo much nicer than Einstein. Your QoL will be better at USF than in the Bronx, I say this as someone who grew up in both

Reactions: 1 user
Einstein is true P/F, shorter pre-clinical time, stronger for research, a little cheaper, and matches well in the Northeast. Again, a lot depends on how much the family support means to you and how comfortable you are living on your own in the Bronx. You indicated you don't want to do residency (especially OB/GYN) in FL. Is that really the case or are you more undecided about whether to do residency in FL ?

Opinion might be a little biased since I go to Einstein but for what it's worth the true p/f vs Honors/HP/P/F is going to change your quality of life in the pre-clinical years significantly. I have one friend here who has a buddy at USF and he definitely does not enjoy it as much as we do (although Tampa objectively is nicer than the Bronx). Also, the fact that the majority of the class lives on campus in the apartments makes it super easy to make friends and stay socially supported. Lastly as a lot of other people have said - it depends where you think you'd want to do residency! Einstein has unbeatable connections in the NE so keep that into consideration as well. Feel free to PM me if you have any Einstein specific questions