Einstein vs Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soyouwannabeadoctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
TUFTS
  • Pros: I have taken a bunch of the first year classes here so I am very familiar with the professors and still have all the notes which will make the transition to med school easier, being in downtown Boston is better than being in the Bronx even though I prefer Manhattan to Boston, the buildings are recently renovated and student lounges are beautiful, love the food from the library cafe, my familiarity with the professors/students/inner workings of the school is comforting
  • Cons: Farther from home, less elective course options which fit my interests, students live all over the city rather than all right on campus so may be a bit of a commuter school

EINSTEIN
  • Pros: Close to home, rotations in NYC hospitals, higher ranked school, on campus housing so perhaps a close knit student body, lots of social medicine electives which match my interests
  • Cons: Nothing to do in the Bronx, 40 mins to Manhattan, all Kosher food options, scholarly paper graduation requirement, older facilities, religious affiliation, I am unfamiliar with the professors and what being a student here is actually like

Specific questions: I am a New Yorker and I likely will want to be in New York for a pediatric residency down the road. Since Einstein’s rotations are in NYC this may help me form relationships with the hospitals here. Do you think this is an important factor? Also, Einstein is a higher ranked school and this is important to me, but Tufts seems to have wider recognition for some reason. Which has a better reputation?
*Note difference in cost of attendance/living is not something I am considering.*

Thanks so much for any input!!

@Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM and anyone else

Members don't see this ad.

Pick Einstein, it sounds like it fits better with your long term goal. Also, the only thing you seem to mention as a posituve for tufts is familiarity with the school.

Reactions: 1 users
Which do you like more: NY pizza and deli food, or seafood?

Don't forget the Bronx Zoo!

TUFTS
  • Pros: I have taken a bunch of the first year classes here so I am very familiar with the professors and still have all the notes which will make the transition to med school easier, being in downtown Boston is better than being in the Bronx even though I prefer Manhattan to Boston, the buildings are recently renovated and student lounges are beautiful, love the food from the library cafe, my familiarity with the professors/students/inner workings of the school is comforting
  • Cons: Farther from home, less elective course options which fit my interests, students live all over the city rather than all right on campus so may be a bit of a commuter school
EINSTEIN
  • Pros: Close to home, rotations in NYC hospitals, higher ranked school, on campus housing so perhaps a close knit student body, lots of social medicine electives which match my interests
  • Cons: Nothing to do in the Bronx, 40 mins to Manhattan, all Kosher food options, scholarly paper graduation requirement, older facilities, religious affiliation, I am unfamiliar with the professors and what being a student here is actually like
Specific questions: I am a New Yorker and I likely will want to be in New York for a pediatric residency down the road. Since Einstein’s rotations are in NYC this may help me form relationships with the hospitals here. Do you think this is an important factor? Also, Einstein is a higher ranked school and this is important to me, but Tufts seems to have wider recognition for some reason. Which has a better reputation?
*Note difference in cost of attendance/living is not something I am considering.*

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at Tufts a while back and I hated how my interviewer was nasty to me. I already had an acceptance from my state school and so I was turned off by their school.

I live near NY so I prefer Einstein.

Reactions: 1 users
The Einstein area has been developing pretty rapidly in the recent years, with Monte onboard, it’s going to see better days than it did under Yeshiva
And if you want to do Peds, Monte CHAM is awesome!

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to stay in New York for residency, I'd say Einstein is the way to go.

TUFTS
EINSTEIN

Have you made your decision yet or do you have any tips for someone making the same decision as you? Thanks!

Have you made your decision yet or do you have any tips for someone making the same decision as you? Thanks!

I've decided to attend Einstein! Both are great schools and I don't think you can go wrong with either, but for mostly personal reasons I think i'll be happier with Einstein. Something non-personal that did help with my decision though is that Einstein and Tufts only a few years ago had very similar rankings, but Einstein's has increased and Tufts' has dropped and now they're at pretty significantly different ranks. I do not know the reasons for that but found it disconcerting. On the more personal aspects, I find Boston's Chinatown where Tufts is located very dirty and a sketchy area. You can live off-campus but you'll still have to walk through it/spend most of your time in it every day and I don't enjoy that. I also found the med students at Tufts a little clique-y. It's still a good, reputable school but I think i'd be happier at Einstein. Best of luck on your decision!

I've decided to attend Einstein! Both are great schools and I don't think you can go wrong with either, but for mostly personal reasons I think i'll be happier with Einstein. Something non-personal that did help with my decision though is that Einstein and Tufts only a few years ago had very similar rankings, but Einstein's has increased and Tufts' has dropped and now they're at pretty significantly different ranks. I do not know the reasons for that but found it disconcerting. On the more personal aspects, I find Boston's Chinatown where Tufts is located very dirty and a sketchy area. You can live off-campus but you'll still have to walk through it/spend most of your time in it every day and I don't enjoy that. I also found the med students at Tufts a little clique-y. It's still a good, reputable school but I think i'd be happier at Einstein. Best of luck on your decision!

Thank you, I have leaning towards Einstein but we'll see what I decide in a couple weeks. Maybe I'll see you next year!

Reactions: 1 user