Effect of Post-Bac program on GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pipedream812

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had an undergrad gpa of 3.2, but Im about to graduate from a post bac program with a 4.0(1 year masters program in Biomedical sciences). How will this past year improve the GPA in the commitee's eyes?

Members don't see this ad.

pipedream812 said:
I had an undergrad gpa of 3.2, but Im about to graduate from a post bac program with a 4.0(1 year masters program in Biomedical sciences). How will this past year improve the GPA in the commitee's eyes?

Depends on how it calculates on your AMCAS, but it definitely will help, I hope your MCAT is just as impressive, if so, you should have no problem getting into a school.

Post-bacc generally refers to upper-level ugrad courses taken after you graduate and generally no degree is expected. A master's program is a graduate-level series of courses that gets you a MS or MA upon completion. Which is it?

A post-bacc helps more in 'forgiveness' of old ugrad courses. ADCOMs believe that the ugrad courses are more intense and are a better indicator of how you'll do in med school. Grad courses are seen as being less intense, and since you should be getting good grades in grad school anyways (many programs will kick you out if you get a bunch of C's). Grad school grades are also not counted with ugrad grades on AMCAS - it has a separate calculation. Thus, grad grades have less of an impact on the ADCOMs than doing a post-bacc.

Members don't see this ad :)
pipedream812 said:

Did you do your program at a medical school (and SMP-type program)? If so, how many classes did you take w/ the med students? If you did go to a med school for your degree, you have an excellent shot at getting in. But even if your program is a regular "graduate" program, you have helped your application immensely with that great GPA and will likely get in somewhere(provided, of course, that your MCAT score doesn't keep you out). Good luck.

It is a 1- year special masters at Barry University, you may have heard of it. It is 1 year, 36 credits, with the identical course schedule as the first year of med school. I took Gross Anatomy, Neuro, Histo, Biochem, Physio, Patho, Ethiocs, etc. So I get an M.S., but it is very course work intensive

yeah that will help you out. very impressive. just as long as you have a high mcat score, you should have no problem getting in ifyou apply early.

Along pipedream's train of thought: do medical schools admissions committees lump SMP programs in with other graduate degrees?

RFU's AP/BMS program, for example, is 52 quarter units over 10 months, yielding a Masters Degree. The typical MPH curriculum involves 9-12 units a semester over two to three years.

Would most admissions committees take that into account when weighing your "graduate" GPA?

pipedream812 said:

Let me know if you get in.