ECFMG Steps-1 and 2 scores never expire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Erica Lewinski

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Folks, I came to know now, from multiple sources, that the ECFMG (USMLE) Steps-1 and 2 scores never expire for life. There is no formal specification seen at the ECFMG info site, of the rumored "7 year clause" for these scores, once you pass both the steps. The conclusion is: You can only pass them once in life, and once you pass both the steps, the scores remain valid forever.

If any one else has any conflicting information and can refute this with any formal pointer, please add your notes/comments here.

As far as State License is considered: What are the time-limits, in some north-east or mid-west states, for example? This is an area of many conflicting signals, nationwide.

Members don't see this ad.

Some states do not allow you to take it more than 3 times. If you do not pass in those attempts then they will not let you practice in that state.

That is why schools like Ross and SGU don't like you or have policies stating that they will not certify you to take the tests more than 3 times.

EH.

Erica,

I have no sources to back this up but it's my impression that the passing scores are valid for life only if you enter gradiate medical education. If you just sit on your scores for 7 years, you have to retake them. I think.

BellKicker said:
Erica,

I have no sources to back this up but it's my impression that the passing scores are valid for life only if you enter gradiate medical education. If you just sit on your scores for 7 years, you have to retake them. I think.

It's a state by state thing. Each medical board sets their own requirements.

Ed

Yeah, but the ecfmg has a set 7-year limitation, too, I think.

Interestingly, I doubt that an IMG would be allowed to re-take a step before 7 years had passed no matter what an individual state demands.

From www.ecfmg.org

ECFMG policy requires that applicants pass those USMLE exams required for ECFMG Certification (currently Step 1 and Step 2 CK) within a seven-year period. After implementation of Step 2 CS, applicants must pass Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS within a seven-year period for ECFMG Certification; this requirement will apply to applicants whose earliest USMLE passing performance that is valid for ECFMG Certification is on or after the date that Step 2 CS is implemented. Refer to New for 2004 for important resources on Step 2 CS that you should monitor closely as the implementation of Step 2 CS approaches.

IMPORTANT NOTE: These policies apply only to ECFMG Certification. The USMLE program has made specific recommendations to state medical licensing authorities regarding the time to complete all three Steps and the number of attempts allowed to pass each Step. If you are taking the Steps for the purpose of licensure, refer to Time Limit and Number of Attempts Allowed to Complete All Steps, Formerly Administered Examinations, and Retakes on page 5 of the USMLE Bulletin of Information for more information. You should also contact the medical licensing authority of the jurisdiction where you plan to apply for licensure or the Federation of State Medical Boards, since licensure requirements vary among jurisdictions.

I always thought you had 7 years to complete ALL of the Steps (including Step 3) but maybe its changed (or I was wrong.)