ECFMG certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Virgo32

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Hope everyone is safe and healthy. I'm worried how this decision of ECFMG affects the application? please enlighten this.

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like not a problem at all for most applicants. Pathway 3 essentially includes everyone -- if your school isn't listed in WFME, then you don't qualify for ECFMG cert anyway. So either you get a letter from your school saying your clinical skills are fine, or Pathway 4 = any school that qualifies for federal loans (most carib schools).

The only people who are in trouble are those that have failed a step more than once. I'm not sure why the ECFMG put that rule in place, but if you have failed any step more than once, then you don't qualify and would need to wait for CS to restart.

In your (the OP's) case, you already applied this last year so this should have no effect at all. You already have ECFMG certification

Reactions: 1 users
Seems like not a problem at all for most applicants. Pathway 3 essentially includes everyone -- if your school isn't listed in WFME, then you don't qualify for ECFMG cert anyway. So either you get a letter from your school saying your clinical skills are fine, or Pathway 4 = any school that qualifies for federal loans (most carib schools).

The only people who are in trouble are those that have failed a step more than once. I'm not sure why the ECFMG put that rule in place, but if you have failed any step more than once, then you don't qualify and would need to wait for CS to restart.

In your (the OP's) case, you already applied this last year so this should have no effect at all. You already have ECFMG certification

Does pathway 3 include everyone? The link they provide goes to a list of national agencies with recognition status. It is only a handful of countries. Seems like it refers to a specific recognition pathway rather than the WFME list of medical schools which the ECFMG need to allow you to take steps

That's a good point, and I might have been overly cavalier about it. I'm not sure. I thought that to be eligible for ECFMG cert, the school needed to be in the WFME and be accredited by a local body approved by the WFME. But that's the rule for 2023 (now pushed to 2024). So I think my statement above is not correct.

CAAM-HP and Australia both have/are approved accrediting bodies, so all the carib schools with accreditation are fine as are the schools in Aus. Israel and Pakistan are on the "in process" list, and I expect that will get expedited. But India is not on either of the lists, and interestingly none of the major western European countries - France, England, Italy, Germany, Spain, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
That's a good point, and I might have been overly cavalier about it. I'm not sure. I thought that to be eligible for ECFMG cert, the school needed to be in the WFME and be accredited by a local body approved by the WFME. But that's the rule for 2023 (now pushed to 2024). So I think my statement above is not correct.

CAAM-HP and Australia both have/are approved accrediting bodies, so all the carib schools with accreditation are fine as are the schools in Aus. Israel and Pakistan are on the "in process" list, and I expect that will get expedited. But India is not on either of the lists, and interestingly none of the major western European countries - France, England, Italy, Germany, Spain, etc.

Im already ECFMG certified and a UK grad so not so bothered by this. But I did find out that most european medical schools are covered because they fall under pathway 4. Apparently most european schools participate in the federal loans program

Im already ECFMG certified and a UK grad so not so bothered by this. But I did find out that most european medical schools are covered because they fall under pathway 4. Apparently most european schools participate in the federal loans program

Dont we fall all under pathway one when we received full GMC registration anyway?

Dont we fall all under pathway one when we received full GMC registration anyway?

only if youve completed F1 in the UK, or already graduated from another european country which grants full registration on graduation