All Branch Topic (ABT) Easiest/simplest/fastest state to get licensed in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frugopl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's time for interns to get their licenses. What's the easiest and simplest state to do so? I don't have a clue where I will end up after residency or the military, so that's one less variable to worry about. Price is also irrelevant to me. Convenience and speed is all that matters. I've been told there are states that do no require additional testing and the entire process can be done via a website?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's time for interns to get their licenses. What's the easiest and simplest state to do so? I don't have a clue where I will end up after residency or the military, so that's one less variable to worry about. Price is also irrelevant to me. Convenience and speed is all that matters. I've been told there are states that do no require additional testing and the entire process can be done via a website?
Nebraska was easy and inexpensive.

Virginia was quick and easy. Don't remember how expensive. Consider shelling out for FCVS because a) some states require it and 2) it will make things much simpler when applying for a license in a different state when you match.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally found FCVS to be an utter waste of time and money. I've had 6 state licenses, and while it has been recommended, it was never required. It took them so long to get their &%^T in order so they could help with my documentation that I ended up just collecting everything on my own and sending it in when I was licensed in Kansas. I contacted FCVS, sent them everything they asked for, waited three months or so, collected everything Kansas wanted, sent it to Kansas, and actually HAD MY LICENSE before FCVS contacted me to tell me that they were ready to send stuff to Kansas. When I tried to get licensed in North Dakota, I contacted them and they wanted another $70 and updated information (including a new copy of my Step scores, which makes no sense since I hadn't taken the step exam in over 6 years at that point. I mean, I was board certified, why the hell would my step scores be different?) I even got a Texas license without FCVS support, and that one isn't all that easy to get. I've found that if you just keep all of your important documents electronically, and keep an updated list of your hospital and practice associations electronically, it's actually quite fast to get a state license without FCVS.

Plus, if you do any moonlighting, Comphealth or Weatherby or (choose your poison) will usually help you get licensed in whatever state you need it...assuming you're working for them in that state.

Reactions: 1 users
Texas is free for military now. It is also a HUGE pain in the @$$ compared with almost every other state....unless that has changed dramatically.

I did Indiana. I don’t remember how much but it was fairly cheap and the license was issued quickly (I.e. the same day all materials were received). I may have delayed getting a full license until crunch time for fellowship application. Indiana does not require FCVS.

Virginia was cake. I think it was pretty cheap as well. We needed it while at Walter Reed because we rotated through Fairfax ED.