Current State of Navy Reserve Medical Corps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PCC108050

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would like any one's opinion on the current state of the Navy reserve medical corps. (Prior enlisted and I am aware of what life in the military is generally like. I also understand the impact deployments can have on a private practice.) I'm just looking for some general in-site on the organizational structure, current promotion trends, and future out look with the current ramping up of tension in the Pacific. Was also curious to why the Navy recently demoted the Navy General Surgeon from a three star to a one star position? I will be going in a an 0-4 in a surgical subspecialty. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I just left the Reserves.

First off, the Reserves is SOOO much more screwed up than active duty. It is tolerable, but it is very frustrating at times. I can't explain it...but do it for a while and you will say to yourself....ahhhh, this is what he was talking about. I was a highly skilled, highly payed anesthesiologist. What did I do? PHA's. A highly skilled, highly regarded, top of his craft - neurosurgeon joined the reserves because he was excited to be part of such a wonderful and meaningful thing. He was excited to work on our boys, and help out the team. He joined our DET. What did he do on weekends? PHA's. What will you do? PHA's.

The fact that anyone still joins the medical corps in the Navy reserves shocks me since they stopped the HPSP matching for payback. That right there makes it not worth it. The fact that the NAVY out and out lied about this and took it away from people should make anyone frustrated enough to not want to associate themselves with such a horribly run company.

Regarding the Pacific heating up. I think that is a concern. I felt relatively safe in Ass-crackistan. There was a physician (I think ER) that was shot and killed while running around the fence on the FOB - but for the most part, I don't know of many physicians who were FOB bound that were injured or killed.

But in a war with China - you are going to die. If I were on a carrier, that thing is going to get sunk, and me - who was stuck in the middle of the ship, was going to die. I just think that is the way of it.

But -
My time went fairly quickly. Honestly, I would have stayed, but I was told I was next on the list to deploy for 1 year to a place that did nothing.
That was my cue to go.

They are soooo dumb. So so dumb. I would GLADLY have deployed every other year if they would say it was 3 months. Most would do the same. And the cost to fly me in and someone out is NOTHING. But a year deployment? And for what? Why even do that? A year really really hurts.

Reactions: 6 users
Yes agree. The HPSP credit reversal was a gut punch for sure. A f*ck you very much for your service and an outright lie.

There are other jobs in the Navy Reserves that are more than being a PHA monkey. They are out there for anyone if you want. Some take additional training etc.

As an anesthesiologist, deployment and private practice mix like oil and water. It doesn’t work well together. Unfortunately I am too far in to resign.

There are additional things about the reserves that I absolutely distaste but that is in the past.

Overall, it’s been a positive but I have largely stayed away from Navy Medical units.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

First off, the Reserves is SOOO much more screwed up than active duty. It is tolerable, but it is very frustrating at times. I can't explain it...but do it for a while and you will say to yourself....ahhhh, this is what he was talking about. I was a highly skilled, highly payed anesthesiologist. What did I do? PHA's. A highly skilled, highly regarded, top of his craft - neurosurgeon joined the reserves because he was excited to be part of such a wonderful and meaningful thing. He was excited to work on our boys, and help out the team. He joined our DET. What did he do on weekends? PHA's. What will you do? PHA's.

The fact that anyone still joins the medical corps in the Navy reserves shocks me since they stopped the HPSP matching for payback. That right there makes it not worth it. The fact that the NAVY out and out lied about this and took it away from people should make anyone frustrated enough to not want to associate themselves with such a horribly run company.

Regarding the Pacific heating up. I think that is a concern. I felt relatively safe in Ass-crackistan. There was a physician (I think ER) that was shot and killed while running around the fence on the FOB - but for the most part, I don't know of many physicians who were FOB bound that were injured or killed.

But in a war with China - you are going to die. If I were on a carrier, that thing is going to get sunk, and me - who was stuck in the middle of the ship, was going to die. I just think that is the way of it.

But -
My time went fairly quickly. Honestly, I would have stayed, but I was told I was next on the list to deploy for 1 year to a place that did nothing.
That was my cue to go.

They are soooo dumb. So so dumb. I would GLADLY have deployed every other year if they would say it was 3 months. Most would do the same. And the cost to fly me in and someone out is NOTHING. But a year deployment? And for what? Why even do that? A year really really hurts.
Epidural Man,

I wouldn’t mind your opinion here. I have just spent about a 1/2 year applying for a reserve position for an Anesthesiologist position with Selres. The only reason I considered it was due to a 3 year “no involuntary mobilization “ decree the Selres had for new DCO’s. Seeing as my contract is 3 years (paid drilling etc…) I was hoping this would give me time to decide whether
I want to extend that or just ride out the remainder of my MSO in the IRR and volunteer for ADT a couple weeks a year?
I am waiting on my Finsel letter any day now. My wife has mixed feelings about this as I’m 52. I think she thinks the Navy is going to take me away forever somewhere.
Do you think the Navy will truly honor the 3 year “no mobilization decree” because that really isn’t in the legal verbiage in the service agreement?
Thanks for your input on this.
Jeff H

But -
That was my cue to go.

Dated 13 July 2023, authorizing up to 3,000 SELRES and IRR for EUCOM.

• Okay...

Dated 13 July 2023, authorizing up to 3,000 SELRES and IRR for EUCOM.

If they ask for volunteers from the SELRES, they'll more than likely get what they need (or close to it).