DVM vs. PhD - Changes at vet schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

No Imagination

I
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been hearing some interesting 'rumors' that some schools (and granting agencies) are thinking (or have) taken away the rights of DVM's to conduct original research (or at least get funding), more importantly take away their ability to have graduate students.

The arguement I heard was they do not consider a 'DVM' a terminal degree.

Is this a new trend? Something that has existed for some time? Something new? Or complete BS?

Members don't see this ad.

That is interesting. However based on the wiki definition of terminal degree you'd have to imagine that in order to be equal across the board that MDs also would be unable to conduct research, since they obtain a professional degree and not a higher research driven degree. and I can't really imagine that happening, but who knows.

I think so far the NIH still has DVMs listed as being capable of obtaining funding.

It would kind of be like shooting the profession in the foot though because there is already a shortage of veterinarians in research, to require that you must have both a DVM and seperate full PhD would increase that shortage even more.

It would probably be great for you and I and others who already have a PhD but I can't see it really being beneficial to the profession.

Complete BS

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
This doesn't jive at all with what I heard over and over at the Merck-Merial summer research scholars symposium this year. In fact, it seems to be a pretty popular thing to say that PhDs aren't neccessary to do good research...as long as you put in the time (i.e. good post-doc) to learn the trade. I think if you have the pedigree and the record of production, you will be competitive in research no matter whether you have DVM, VMD :D, PhD, MD or even DO after your name.

Of course I have a PhD, so maybe my opinion doesn't count :p.

I've not heard anything about schools limiting research to PhDs only. Why would they do this? If a professor is doing research, publishing, and -- most importantly for the school -- bringing in grant money, the school is not going to stop that.

It is true that at least at some schools you have to have a PhD to have a PhD graduate student. That's not much of a problem at most places though because there are plenty of PhDs and DVM-PhDs to serve as major professors.

It is true that at least at some schools you have to have a PhD to have a PhD graduate student.

Yeah, this part makes sense to me for sure. I definitely agree, though, that with the proper research background a DVM shouldn't absolutely need a PhD to conduct original research.

This definitly doesn't jive here. We definitly have some PhD's studying under DVM's in wildlife med here.

This definitly doesn't jive here. We definitly have some PhD's studying under DVM's in wildlife med here.

Maybe they meant to say a PhD candidate student...There are TONS of PhDs studying under DVMs (and vise versa) doing Postdocs.

Maybe they meant to say a PhD candidate student...There are TONS of PhDs studying under DVMs (and vise versa) doing Postdocs.

sorry i wasn't clear. i meant candidates...just in hurry/being too brief.