dvm-phd and other dual degree applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

researchvet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity:

Who's applying to dual degree programs? In what field are you applying (if you're doing a PhD)? Where are you applying and how did you choose where to apply?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm applying to the dual PhD programs at penn and cornell. i ruled out other ones mainly based on whether i could see myself in that location for 7+ years or if they covered the cost of tuition as well.

my current research is in biophysical chemistry, so i indicated biochemsitry/molecular biophysics at penn (cornell did not ask) because that is what i am familiar with, but i could see myself doing any number of things.

i don't know what other applicants are like in the field, but i'd like to get a better idea of the typical dual candidate. have people have papers published? what degree does everyone has? how long have people been doing research?

I actually wussed out on applying to UCD's DVM-PhD program this year on advice of prior applicants who spoke of the difficulty of getting in and that they obviously preferred current DVM students to new applicants. I didn't feel that my application was strong enough to compete in such a field of applicants so I decided not to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to dual programs at Cornell, Tufts, UC-Davis, and NC-State (although my application has been discarded at nc state due to no finance/econ classes and no animal nutrition to date - i didn't really want to go there, anyhow!)

Davis and Cornell are my top choices. I know Davis is super-competitive! I'm interested in microbiology and infectious/zoonotic diseases. I am straight out of undergrad - no other advanced degrees - but I took a year off and worked in a micro lab at UW-Seattle. I've also worked in a conservation/endocrinology lab, a yeast cell biology lab, and right now I'm doing my senior honors thesis in E. coli stress response. I have a good swath of recommendations and an American Society for microbiology Undergrad Research grant, which is a resume booster, so I hope I'm competitive. We'll see, though!

Have we figured out what Cornell's policy is on admissions (do you hear with everyone else in january, etc)?

I'm interested in ... infectious/zoonotic diseases.

:thumbup: Me too! Yay! (People tend to look at you funny when you say this, though, and then take a step backwards. Like I carry around little vials of pathogens in my pockets. Sheesh. :p)

so, i'm not sure if this counts, but i indicated in my tufts app that i am interested in the dual degree with an MS in lab animal medicine. it is still only a 4 year degree, and i would like to do residency in lab animal medicine, which to my understanding the MS would help me do this... sorry if this is not the info you were looking for!

so, i'm not sure if this counts, but i indicated in my tufts app that i am interested in the dual degree with an MS in lab animal medicine. it is still only a 4 year degree, and i would like to do residency in lab animal medicine, which to my understanding the MS would help me do this... sorry if this is not the info you were looking for!

You do not need an MS to get a lab animal residency (won't hurt). In fact you can get an MS or PhD with your residency.

I really hope to dothe DVM/MPH program IFD I get into UF. Huge if.