DUQCOM vs LECOM (Erie)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tuesdaypidgeon

Reaction score
Been accepted to both DUQCOM (inaugural class) and LECOM-Erie and I'm torn between which to attend. I received a scholarship to attend DUQCOM which makes their tuition comparable.

DUQCOM:
- More desirable location. 40 minutes from home, more things to do/see in the city of Pittsburgh, will have a few close friends in the city
- Program is less established
- No board pass rate data. I am a good test taker so failing my boards is not a huge fear of mine
- Better vibes from the interview. Everyone seemed very passionate and the faculty seemed very promising.
- Mission statement really resonates with me. Service focus + primary care focus.
- Attention from admin. Many meaningful interactions with admin. I've been told by multiple different admins that I'm one of their most promising new students
- Attention from faculty. Especially in the first year, when there is only one class. I imagine that I'll be able to form really strong relationships with faculty
- More opportunities to stand out, more opportunities for leadership
- Association with established university. Access to university facilities and resources
- Don't know anyone in the class. Potentially more isolating, but also offers a clean slate

LECOM:
- Less desirable location. 3 hours from home, I've never been to Erie before but I don't imagine there is a lot to do there. My closest friends would be ~2 hours away
- Program is more established
- Know board pass rates ahead of time (>90%)
- Opportunities to be mentored by fellow students
- Middle-of-the-road vibes from the interview
- Haven't really had any interactions with any of the admin/faculty (let alone meaningful interactions). Admin/faculty don't seem that interested in me as a prospective student
- Mission statement felt very hollow. Didn't get a sense that admin cared about anything more than getting students graduated
- Fewer opportunities to stand out (over 30x more students in DO program compared to DUQCOM)
- Know a few people who will be in the same class as me from my undergrad and my high school. Not close to any of them. Many of them are the toxic pre-med types so I'm not particularly excited to continue associating with them

TL;DR: DUQCOM is the school I'm more excited to attend. LECOM seems like the more practical choice. Not sure which of those things I should be prioritizing. Will keep this post up to date as I think of new things. Also, if there's any additional information that you think I should be considering, please let me know! Would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user