Dual Enrollment classes?

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. I am a rising senior in HS and I was just wondering if med schools would accept a Calculus Class I took in HS. They would, right?

Also, if I am going to take a Bio class this fall, should I make sure I get an A in it since it is a med school pre req class.

What grades are unacceptable in terms of pre req classes? I mean, obviously a 100 is nice but I guess nothing lower than a B?

Just wondering.

What if I took and English class and never took it again in college, would med schools still take into account that English class I took? I don't see why not because it IS still a regular college class.

I know some of you took college classes in HS. Would you recommend taking a science or not. Because the way I see it is, taking a science will knock off a class I have to take for MS but, like, idk because some med schools may be finicky about that sort of thing, and plus if I take Bio I in HS, when I'm actually starting college, I'll have a SLIGHTLY (i guess) more rigorous course load.

I have been accepted though. Classes start the first or second week of July.

So, I'm still up in the air on what to take. I want to take half Gen Ed's and maybe half science. If I can.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
med schools would accept a Calculus Class I took in HS. They would, right?
If you took it at a college, yes, they would.

Also, if I am going to take a Bio class this fall, should I make sure I get an A in it since it is a med school pre req class.
Well, yes, but you want to get A's in all of your college classes, not just the med school pre-reqs.

What grades are unacceptable in terms of pre req classes? I mean, obviously a 100 is nice but I guess nothing lower than a B?
Literally speaking, anything below a C, including C-'s, is unacceptable. That is, it won't count for credit towards your pre-reqs. I had plenty of C's in pre-req classes but still (barely) got in. If you can swing mostly A's with a few B's, that'd be awesome, but don't flip out if you have to eat a C somewhere along the line. It's certainly not ideal, but it's not crippling either.

What if I took and English class and never took it again in college, would med schools still take into account that English class I took? I don't see why not because it IS still a regular college class.
I'm not sure what you mean. Are you referring to taking an English course at a college or at a high school? If you mean high school, then no, med schools won't accept it for credit regardless of how rigorous it is. My high school's English curriculum blew UNC's basic English courses out of the water, but I still would've had to take them had I not AP'd out.
Would you recommend taking a science or not.
In your case, not at all. I honestly don't think this dual enrollment is a good plan for you since you pretty clearly don't have your study skills honed yet, and your performance in these classes will most certainly be reflected in your med school application. I guess you're already in the program, so I'd suggest going into damage control mode. Take the easiest classes you can find, and avoid sciences (which means math, too). Make sure you don't undermine yourself before you even start.

Hey. I am a rising senior in HS and I was just wondering if med schools would accept a Calculus Class I took in HS. They would, right?

Just wondering.

I know some of you took college classes in HS. Would you recommend taking a science or not. Because the way I see it is, taking a science will knock off a class I have to take for MS but, like, idk because some med schools may be finicky about that sort of thing, and plus if I take Bio I in HS, when I'm actually starting college, I'll have a SLIGHTLY (i guess) more rigorous course load.

I have been accepted though. Classes start the first or second week of July.

So, I'm still up in the air on what to take. I want to take half Gen Ed's and maybe half science. If I can.

Like MilkAlman said, if you took the calc class at a college where the students around you are primarily degree seeking students, then yes, it would count.

Should you "try to get an A?" Yes, always try to get A's.

So your planning on taking ONE quarter of English at the CC this summer, and NEVER taking an English class again? Your generally required to take 2 semesters of English, so you will probably end up taking it again; however, you "could" put it off for quite some time, but I don't recommend that because being able to write well will help you in ALL your other classes.

I took Cell Biology at a CC my junior year in high school, it seemed to work out fine; it turned out to be a really fun, and exciting course! Depending on how I feel in another year, I may take it again at the university level (I may have forgotten quite a few things by that time, since I will not have used it in over two years).

It's probably a smart idea to take your general education requirements, I'm not sure if your doing a dual enrollment program full time your senior year (as in, no high school classes at all), or if it's strictly summer. If your doing full time, then I'd say definitively take some classes you actually want to take; for example, pottery? (isn't a general education requirement ... hopefully?).

If you took the AP class in high school and passed the test then I think you wouldnt have to take it in college

If you took it at a college, yes, they would.

Well, yes, but you want to get A's in all of your college classes, not just the med school pre-reqs.

Literally speaking, anything below a C, including C-'s, is unacceptable. That is, it won't count for credit towards your pre-reqs. I had plenty of C's in pre-req classes but still (barely) got in. If you can swing mostly A's with a few B's, that'd be awesome, but don't flip out if you have to eat a C somewhere along the line. It's certainly not ideal, but it's not crippling either.

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you referring to taking an English course at a college or at a high school? If you mean high school, then no, med schools won't accept it for credit regardless of how rigorous it is. My high school's English curriculum blew UNC's basic English courses out of the water, but I still would've had to take them had I not AP'd out.
In your case, not at all. I honestly don't think this dual enrollment is a good plan for you since you pretty clearly don't have your study skills honed yet, and your performance in these classes will most certainly be reflected in your med school application. I guess you're already in the program, so I'd suggest going into damage control mode. Take the easiest classes you can find, and avoid sciences (which means math, too). Make sure you don't undermine yourself before you even start.

Do you think I could take a science in the Fall during a 15 week term instead of an accelerated one during the summer?

Like MilkAlman said, if you took the calc class at a college where the students around you are primarily degree seeking students, then yes, it would count.

Should you "try to get an A?" Yes, always try to get A's.

So your planning on taking ONE quarter of English at the CC this summer, and NEVER taking an English class again? Your generally required to take 2 semesters of English, so you will probably end up taking it again; however, you "could" put it off for quite some time, but I don't recommend that because being able to write well will help you in ALL your other classes.

I took Cell Biology at a CC my junior year in high school, it seemed to work out fine; it turned out to be a really fun, and exciting course! Depending on how I feel in another year, I may take it again at the university level (I may have forgotten quite a few things by that time, since I will not have used it in over two years).

It's probably a smart idea to take your general education requirements, I'm not sure if your doing a dual enrollment program full time your senior year (as in, no high school classes at all), or if it's strictly summer. If your doing full time, then I'd say definitively take some classes you actually want to take; for example, pottery? (isn't a general education requirement ... hopefully?).

Yes, this is what I mean. But I guess I would have to take another sem. of English anyway.

Let's say I took two sems. of English before graduating HS, and never again. Would med schools still accept that and NOT frown upon it?

Ok.

I am taking

Macroeconomics (100 level Business/Accounting class)
&
English Composition: The writing process (100 level English class)

That should be more than enough since people who go there are telling me macro is a ***ch.

I'll save the sciences for when I actually have time during the school year.

Do you think I could take a science in the Fall during a 15 week term instead of an accelerated one during the summer?
No, I don't think you should take any college courses at all right now. None. You're struggling in high school. Why would you try to jump up to the next level before you have that sorted out? Again, college isn't going to be a magic bullet that eliminates all of your stressors. You're going to have to deal with your issues on your own.

That should be more than enough since people who go there are telling me macro is a ***ch.

I'll save the sciences for when I actually have time during the school year.
Then don't take macroeconomics. Take something else like the pottery class suggested above. Look, man, if you're not successful in high school, you're not going to be successful in college without a substantial change in your study habits. That change isn't going to come in a month. Taking a hard college class is a bad, bad plan.

Don't save the sciences for the school year, SAVE THEM FOR COLLEGE. While you're at it, save the rest of college for college. I know you're bent on being a world-famous spine surgeon in 3 years, but it's not going to happen that way. Stop getting ahead of yourself, and take care of your academic problems while your performance isn't as important. Upping the difficulty is just going to make your life harder and your med school application crappier.

No, I don't think you should take any college courses at all right now. None. You're struggling in high school. Why would you try to jump up to the next level before you have that sorted out? Again, college isn't going to be a magic bullet that eliminates all of your stressors. You're going to have to deal with your issues on your own.

Then don't take macroeconomics. Take something else like the pottery class suggested above. Look, man, if you're not successful in high school, you're not going to be successful in college without a substantial change in your study habits. That change isn't going to come in a month. Taking a hard college class is a bad, bad plan.

Don't save the sciences for the school year, SAVE THEM FOR COLLEGE. While you're at it, save the rest of college for college. I know you're bent on being a world-famous spine surgeon in 3 years, but it's not going to happen that way. Stop getting ahead of yourself, and take care of your academic problems while your performance isn't as important. Upping the difficulty is just going to make your life harder and your med school application crappier.
Seriously, begin with the end in mind but always put first things first

Members don't see this ad :)

Idk why you seem to think that I need to change my study habits.

I have been getting fantastic grades all year except in Math. And honestly, let's not even bring that up, that is in a league of it's own.

I screwed up before, I changed. Yeah, my rank and GPA are terrible. Yeah ppl made fun of me, and yeah I guess it was my fault that my grades suffered.

I just don't see where you are getting this information on how I cannot study efficiently. I can study fine. I just suck at math because I've had terrible teachers and a crappy foundation.

Regardless, the classes I'm taking are classes I KNOW I CAN DO WELL IN. I know you are just trying to help and I hear what you are saying but the reason my grades suck is because of crap that happened in the past that is NOT happening now.

And in terms of my math class, I can safely say that I will never have a worse teacher, even in college.

I am taking a college algebra class in the fall hopefully and review my Alg II for the SAT this summer, so hopefully that will give me a better foundation.

The only real problem I have is math and I guess eventually I will have to take Calc based Physics.

Like, I want to take some math classes at the CC. Like College Algebra that I will do fine in and will sharpen my skills. idk.

The biggest problem I have is digesting A LOT of information.

I mean, here is the thing.

For the AP classes I tested into, I did extremely well, but that is because I BUSTED MY BUTT to get into them. Like, you had to read 40 pages of literature for each class, and you were tested on it.

I mean, I did it, it worked, but I mean, that information, I don't remember it AT ALL now. It stayed with me for a couple weeks and then I just forgot it all. It doesn't stick. And if I didn't study as hard as I did, I probably wouldn't have gotten into all of the classes I got into.

I want a 4.0 and I feel like I can maybe maintain it for a while, but, eventually I need to take Calc I and Ochem and that just keeps getting me nervous because I nearly killed myself studying for the AP's.

I mean, yeah, I did well and everything, but, it was tough.

College classes are harder and faster-paced than AP courses, for the most part (definitely faster, but not necessarily harder, I guess). If you "busted your butt" to do "well" (and we haven't quantified what that means, exactly) in AP's, you're going to get steamrolled in college courses. You'll have more work and half the time to do it.

It's really hard to give you advice because I always have to spell out everything involved with your situation. Somehow the basics just aren't computing, and it's very frustrating to have to hold your hand through the most fundamental and obvious of concepts. Dude, you're doing poorly in high school. Why are you trying to go to the next level immediately? Okay, you've pulled out of whatever funk you were in before. Don't you think your time would be better spent making absolutely sure you have your study skills down rather than kicking it up a notch and taking classes that are actually going to impact your future? You're bombing algebra, but you want to teach yourself calculus? It's hard to know where to start, man. I really want to help you, but if the obvious is really this elusive for you, I don't have any idea how to go about doing so.

College classes are harder and faster-paced than AP courses, for the most part (definitely faster, but not necessarily harder, I guess). If you "busted your butt" to do "well" (and we haven't quantified what that means, exactly) in AP's, you're going to get steamrolled in college courses. You'll have more work and half the time to do it.

It's really hard to give you advice because I always have to spell out everything involved with your situation. Somehow the basics just aren't computing, and it's very frustrating to have to hold your hand through the most fundamental and obvious of concepts. Dude, you're doing poorly in high school. Why are you trying to go to the next level immediately? Okay, you've pulled out of whatever funk you were in before. Don't you think your time would be better spent making absolutely sure you have your study skills down rather than kicking it up a notch and taking classes that are actually going to impact your future? You're bombing algebra, but you want to teach yourself calculus? It's hard to know where to start, man. I really want to help you, but if the obvious is really this elusive for you, I don't have any idea how to go about doing so.

I was bombing Algebra. Teaching myself Calculus isn't going to happen because I feel that I haven't learned much Algebra II this year so that I why I think I will be better off focusing on SAT's, THEN moving on and MAYBE taking a College Algebra course when I am doing dual enrollment next year instead. Then, maybe move on to Calculus.

I busted my butt to do well because I had no idea what to expect. I was taking a college level test so I went all out. Idk how you don't know what that means. It means I just studied like crazy. And it paid off. It did well on everything. Top grades :)

Do you seriously mean that?

I actually think it is a pretty realistic plan.

I guess something we might need to know is: what do you mean by "extremely well"? Define that. What grades did you get? How well have you been doing exactly?

I had a few B's and a C first sem. Then straight A's. I got my parents to pull my out of math and get me home schooled in that subject.

In terms of how well I did on the AP placement exams. Outstanding. Like all A's :D.

So I made out alright this year. College will be better. No more of this reading of out the book and trying to adapt to my teacher crap.

At least I can PICK my profs. in college.

In college, it is almost all reading out of the book. And it will be at a much faster and more in depth pace. And you'll be much more independent, on your own. If you can't make the grades, you're sol. There's also a lot of temptation to procrastinate and quickly fall behind, because you won't have much homework in many of your classes, and you won't have anybody breathing down your neck making you study and do well.

A lot of your college professors may be bad: some will probably care about their research more than teaching your class. High school can be bad, but most of the teachers are pretty decent. A lot of your classes are also going to be huge (think 100+ students), so 1 on 1 attention is nonexistent unless you can catch them at office hours and they care to help.

Like I said, in college you'll be doing most of the learning on your own. There won't be anyone to hold your hand, and if you can barely stay afloat in high school when the teachers teach most of the material and you're in relatively small classes...

Uhm. Well, my GPA is 3.7 right now. I wouldn't exactly call that "Barely staying afloat."

But yeah, I see what your saying.

In college, it is almost all reading out of the book. And it will be at a much faster and more in depth pace. And you'll be much more independent, on your own. If you can't make the grades, you're sol. There's also a lot of temptation to procrastinate and quickly fall behind, because you won't have much homework in many of your classes, and you won't have anybody breathing down your neck making you study and do well.

A lot of your college professors may be bad: some will probably care about their research more than teaching your class. High school can be bad, but most of the teachers are pretty decent. A lot of your classes are also going to be huge (think 100+ students), so 1 on 1 attention is nonexistent unless you can catch them at office hours and they care to help.

Like I said, in college you'll be doing most of the learning on your own. There won't be anyone to hold your hand, and if you can barely stay afloat in high school when the teachers teach most of the material and you're in relatively small classes...
This is seriously how my high school college prep program is.
We all have to take at least adv. level classes and are strongly recomended to take AP classes and the AP classes are brutal but it really does help--you notice it after awhile and you kind of get use to the crazy amount of work.
Lol, I can tell MilkmanAl is frustrated from going back and forth.

This is seriously how my high school college prep program is.
We all have to take at least adv. level classes and are strongly recomended to take AP classes and the AP classes are brutal but it really does help--you notice it after awhile and you kind of get use to the crazy amount of work.
Lol, I can tell MilkmanAl is frustrated from going back and forth.