Dual Apply: How many interviews for each specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rogue42

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I dual applied OBGYN and FM. I desire OB, but will be happy if I end up in FM.

I was just wondering how many interviews I should aim for in each specialty?

I already have 8 family medicine interviews and 1 OB interview lined up, and it’s only day 2 of ERAS.

I want the best chances to match, but I also want to release interviews so other applicants have a better opportunity if I don’t need them!

Members don't see this ad.

I want the best chances to match, but I also want to release interviews so other applicants have a better opportunity if I don’t need them!
Very noble of you, but if you get an interview, you have been deemed worthy of it. Take it. The only choice in my mind comes up when you only have the option to interview for more than one place and there is a conflict and you HAVE to choose one.

I went on 15 interviews when I was applying and didn't match. Without knowing anything about your app, you probably have a good chance in FM. However, OB is competitive so just participate in any interview you get.

This is a difficult question to answer as it depends on what you'd be comfortable with in terms of chances for matching. I recommend looking at the NRMP charting outcomes (the latest one here: https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Charting-Outcomes-MD-Seniors-2022_Final.pdf )

According to this (I'm gonna pick 95% chance of matching as an arbitrary mark), 7 or more FM ranks and about 14 OB/GYN ranks will afford you at least that chance.

Please note that this is aggregate data and doesn't mean that are your chances as an individual applicant.

Also speak to your advisors/mentors for specific advice.

FS

Members don't see this ad :)
As many as you are comfortable not matching. Aren’t interviews virtual? Why not go to all

Reactions: 1 user
As many as you are comfortable not matching. Aren’t interviews virtual? Why not go to all
Agreed. The OP can get at most one spot by virtue of matching algorithm. He got to do the best for himself or herself. Can't think that he/she takes away the interviewing spots of others.

Do not listen to people about hoarding. You need to look out for yourself or you will regret it.

Reactions: 1 users
I know neuro is very different than OB or FM, but I was told 10 interviews was enough to match in neuro and that 70% of people match their top 3, I went on 13 and matched at #10. So as others have said go on as many interviews as you can as long there isn't a conflict in your schedule. In the era of virtual interviewing many (especially competitive applicants) will be hugging interviews, some going on 20+ and even 30, and because of that I'd say it's safer to do the same and ensure that you match.

Reactions: 1 users